The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

h20skibum

IECalCruiser,

I see that you are planning the Transpacific cruise to Australia next year. We were thinking of this cruise. What are you planning on doing when you arrive if I may ask?. I want to go to Australia and New Zealand but unsure how to get there and see the most economically.

Thanks,

Pat

We did not do a trans-Pacific but flew to Auckland as Houston had non-stop flights. In Auckland, we arranged with Kensington Tours to do a 10 day to the outback and Sydney. I think it was cheaper or close to what Princess wanted for a 5-day intensive pre-cruise. Our tour allowed for "rest" time between activities) and they customized it for us and we made quite a few changes as we went along (lol). All top tier hotels (huge breakfast buffets so you could fill up and get by with snacking for lunch by taking things back to your room which they didn't mind you doing, even provided us with "to go" boxes) and wonderful guides who went above and beyond including finding us reservations at a great restaurant on Valentines Day for dinner which was most reasonably priced. I cannot say enough how pleased we were with all facets that they arranged including our air between towns. We really didn't have to lift a finger as they had done it all. They were very easy to work with the whole time with prompt replies to our questions and dealing with our changes.

We ended in Sydney and caught the ship there that took us back to Auckland and our return flight home. We did all the land tours we could through Viator who, again were cheaper, plus smaller group, no extended "shopping opportunities" and guides who truly loved their territory and let you know it with their enthusiasm.

. A couple of times we went with Princess' tours due to time problems (ship docked later than the Viator tour started in Melbourne and none offered in one port) and they were well organized and good. I did hear, though, that one tour was suppose to go to one place and ended up at another due to miscommunication with the driver (lol). Another time, Princess wanted mega bucks for their Dunedin :(Port Chalmers) train tour through the gorges and we got the same tour for 1/3 of the price PLUS a tour of the town. Princess had a charter train (same tracks so you saw the same things) whereas we did not and Princess may have thrown in some food which ours did not but the difference in price more than covered whatever food they gave with a lot of change left in our pockets (lol)

We did not do a trans-Pacific but flew to Auckland as Houston had non-stop flights. In Auckland, we arranged with Kensington Tours to do a 10 day to the outback and Sydney. I think it was cheaper or close to what Princess wanted for a 5-day intensive pre-cruise. Our tour allowed for "rest" time between activities) and they customized it for us and we made quite a few changes as we went along (lol). All top tier hotels (huge breakfast buffets so you could fill up and get by with snacking for lunch by taking things back to your room which they didn't mind you doing, even provided us with "to go" boxes) and wonderful guides who went above and beyond including finding us reservations at a great restaurant on Valentines Day for dinner which was most reasonably priced. I cannot say enough how pleased we were with all facets that they arranged including our air between towns. We really didn't have to lift a finger as they had done it all. They were very easy to work with the whole time with prompt replies to our questions and dealing with our changes.

We ended in Sydney and caught the ship there that took us back to Auckland and our return flight home. We did all the land tours we could through Viator who, again were cheaper, plus smaller group, no extended "shopping opportunities" and guides who truly loved their territory and let you know it with their enthusiasm.

. A couple of times we went with Princess' tours due to time problems (ship docked later than the Viator tour started in Melbourne and none offered in one port) and they were well organized and good. I did hear, though, that one tour was suppose to go to one place and ended up at another due to miscommunication with the driver (lol). Another time, Princess wanted mega bucks for their Dunedin :(Port Chalmers) train tour through the gorges and we got the same tour for 1/3 of the price PLUS a tour of the town. Princess had a charter train (same tracks so you saw the same things) whereas we did not and Princess may have thrown in some food which ours did not but the difference in price more than covered whatever food they gave with a lot of change left in our pockets (lol)

Thank you so much!!!. Can you provide your email so I can correspond with a few more questions?

We have reserved a rental car for Hilo. Besides going to see volcanos, would love to get recommendations for places to see. I love Kona side and would love to go there but now realize we probably will not have enough time since we are only in port 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and even less time by the time we pick up car and then allow time to return it and get back to ship. Thanks in advance.

First time to Hawaii. We have a rental reserved in all ports. Looking for recommendations for things to do, places to eat and maybe get a good local beer.

If this is your first time to Hawaii, you may not want to rent a car and try to do things on your own the first time out. It is hard to recommend things to do, without knowing what type of activities you like, or what you want to see there.

You may want to start with the Princess excursion booklet to see what they offer. They will be offering things that can be done within the allotted time in port. That is not to say you have to book excursions with them, but it will give you a starting point for the popular things to do. You could always book independent tours going to the same places if certain things interest you.

The first few land based trips I did to Hawaii had structured tours to many of the sights on all the islands. That laid the groundwork for exploring on our own for later trips. Just know, that visiting by cruise ship will only give you a small taste of the islands.

I don't think I would ever rent a car on Oahu. It is so easy to get around on the BUS, and you do not have to deal with parking.

Make Duke's one of your stops for a place to eat and drink, and try the Hula Pie. As far as local beers, it is hard to tell what is local anymore. Kona Brewing has several, but they brew a lot of it here on the mainland. In fact, I think you can get one of them at BJ's Brewhouse north of the Ross Park Mall ( I see you are from Pittsburgh).

Anyhow, enjoy your planning and your trip. And Go Pens. Here is hoping for a 3 Peat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If this is your first time to Hawaii, you may not want to rent a car and try to do things on your own the first time out. It is hard to recommend things to do, without knowing what type of activities you like, or what you want to see there.

You may want to start with the Princess excursion booklet to see what they offer. They will be offering things that can be done within the allotted time in port. That is not to say you have to book excursions with them, but it will give you a starting point for the popular things to do. You could always book independent tours going to the same places if certain things interest you.

The first few land based trips I did to Hawaii had structured tours to many of the sights on all the islands. That laid the groundwork for exploring on our own for later trips. Just know, that visiting by cruise ship will only give you a small taste of the islands.

I don't think I would ever rent a car on Oahu. It is so easy to get around on the BUS, and you do not have to deal with parking.

Make Duke's one of your stops for a place to eat and drink, and try the Hula Pie. As far as local beers, it is hard to tell what is local anymore. Kona Brewing has several, but they brew a lot of it here on the mainland. In fact, I think you can get one of them at BJ's Brewhouse north of the Ross Park Mall ( I see you are from Pittsburgh).

Anyhow, enjoy your planning and your trip. And Go Pens. Here is hoping for a 3 Peat.

Thanks for the tips! I have a client that lives on Oahu and she gave us a very detailed run down of places to go given our limited time. I figure we have six months to build an itinerary, so the more tips and recommendations the better.

Oh, and Let's go Pens!! I think the last day of the season is our last day on the cruise.

We have reserved a rental car for Hilo. Besides going to see volcanos, would love to get recommendations for places to see. I love Kona side and would love to go there but now realize we probably will not have enough time since we are only in port 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and even less time by the time we pick up car and then allow time to return it and get back to ship. Thanks in advance.

If you are planning on going to Volcanoes National Park, and to possibly view a current lava flow, that may not leave much time for other things. Once you allot time to get off the ship and pick up a rental, and time to return the rental and reboard the ship, that will take a couple hours off your time ashore.

It has been years since we were to Punaluu Black Sand Beach, but it was a beautiful beach. You might even see some of the green sea turtles there. It is not too far from Volcanoes National Park, but I am not sure if any of the recent lava flows closed any routes to there.

Enjoy exploring the island.

Thanks for info. We will be in Hilo on Dec 23. I did Princess tour my 1st time to Hilo & it was to Volcano Nat'l Park and botanical gardens. The gardens were beautiful but not sure if my husband would enjoy it. This is his 1st time to Hawaii so I want to make this special for him. All he knows is he wants to rent a convertible and drive around the island. I wish Kona was closer but at least he can drive around with the top down, if it does not rain. I will check about the beach you mentioned. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

You did a terrific travelogue and the information provided on your previous trips to the islands were very helpful and informative. This is my second trip to the islands having traveled there on our honeymoon in '74.

Appreciate your information on the lack of a transfer at the conclusion of your tour. When cruising domestically I usually handle my own arrangements. I noted that you utilized Super Shuttle back to SFO. Have never used this company but I have them booked round trip when I arrive for my cruise in November 13, '17. I have always found on cruises that most travelers are in a rush to board and equally harried to disembark. Because my flight leaves late afternoon on disembarkation day I plan to do as I have on most cruises, have a leisurely breakfast (last opportunity to be pampered) and take my time leaving the ship. I have a Super Shuttle scheduled for pick up at 11AM. Once again, thank you for the detailed report. Please thank DW for being so patient!

A Christmas cruise to the islands sounds fantastic. Will you have any problems with shortened venues for Christmas Eve in Honolulu, or Christmas Day in Nawiliwili?

So far nothing said about shortening anything on those 2 days. We will be going to pearl harbor and punch bowl and that's Christmas eve. Kauai will be Christmas day, we have a car so will do our own thing.

Hi Mark,

You did a terrific travelogue and the information provided on your previous trips to the islands were very helpful and informative. This is my second trip to the islands having traveled there on our honeymoon in '74.

Appreciate your information on the lack of a transfer at the conclusion of your tour. When cruising domestically I usually handle my own arrangements. I noted that you utilized Super Shuttle back to SFO. Have never used this company but I have them booked round trip when I arrive for my cruise in November 13, '17. I have always found on cruises that most travelers are in a rush to board and equally harried to disembark. Because my flight leaves late afternoon on disembarkation day I plan to do as I have on most cruises, have a leisurely breakfast (last opportunity to be pampered) and take my time leaving the ship. I have a Super Shuttle scheduled for pick up at 11AM. Once again, thank you for the detailed report. Please thank DW for being so patient!

Well, you are less than a month away from your cruise. If your last trip was in 74, you will notice a lot of changes since then. However, those changes are mainly in "man-made" things, and prices. The beauty of the islands still remains.

Enjoy your cruise.

I see you fly into Pittsburgh airport, are you anywhere close to Moon Twp?

I live in Squirrel Hill.

No, we live about an hour north of the airport. We are also within an easy drive to the Cleveland airport, so sometimes we fly Frontier from there when we can get a cheap, direct flight to San Francisco. We can put up with their non-reclining seats for the 4-1/2 hour direct flight. Too bad Frontier doesn't offer one from Pittsburgh. We actually had scored a oneway from Cleveland this year for the two of us for only $150 total.

• 2 months later...

Question about disembarking, did they offer to take your luggage to the airport? We are wanting to go to Alcatraz after the cruise and then fly out but we don't want to take our luggage all over.

Question about disembarking, did they offer to take your luggage to the airport? We are wanting to go to Alcatraz after the cruise and then fly out but we don't want to take our luggage all over.

If you are doing a post cruise tour with Princess, they should take care of your luggage for you.

If you are doing a tour of Alcatraz on your own, luggage will be a problem. The port terminal does not have luggage storage, and Princess does not offer EZ Check in San Francisco. The ferry to Alcatraz leaves from pier 33, so it is not far from pier 27. However they do not offer luggage storage at pier 33 either.

One option you may look at is going to pier 39 to the California Welcome Center. They offer luggage storage for $5 per bag. It is about a half mile from pier 27. There are also luggage storage facilities around San Francisco, but these may be further away. You can do an online search for them.

You will want to allot at least 3 hours for the ferry ride to and from Alcatraz, and for time to tour it. You would also want to allot 45 minutes to an hour to get from the pier to the airport.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in San Francisco.

It might be better to come in a day early and then do tours

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s true, it is always better to come in a day or two early, or stay a day or two after and do some touring at a leisurely pace. However, if they have a red eye flight that does not leave until 10 or 11 the night of disembarking, you don’t want to just go and sit at the airport all day. There isn’t much to do there, and you would have to hold on to your bags until you could check them in for your flight.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I haven't been following the thread closely since my Hawaii cruise is a year away, but I'm doing San Fran this year to the Mexican Riviera.

Sorry, I missed H2o's response earlier, but like he said, you can store it at the Welcome Center at Pier 39. I emailed them and their hours are 9am to 6pm. The cost is $5 per bag. They stress that you HAVE to be on time to pick up the bags. The bags are places in a storage room, not individual lockers. This is how I contacted them:

Phone: (415) 981-1280

Email: [font= ]cwcsanfrancisco@guestservicesolutions.com [/font]

I also saw some posts from folks in Pittsburgh. I grew up in Belle Vernon and my brother lived in Greentree for a while. We now live in Columbus, OH and Southwest has one direct flight a day to Oakland. They are usually reasonably priced especially with free bags for a long cruise. We booked on the first day that flights came out and during a sale. We managed to get $99 one direction and $105 back. Haven't seen those prices again, but they still aren't too bad.

Edited by alwalaska
Read another post with the same info and wanted to modify mine a little.

We are doing an NCL cruise, so we have a day in Kona. Can you please tell me what you love and what you would recommend. Since we have 6 back to back port days, I don't want to overdo it on the Kona day since we will be doing the Volcanoes and a bunch of walking on the Hilo day.

Some of the places I'm looking at and resources I used to pull my Hilo ideas from include:

I don't go until Feb 2019, so if you think of anything else after your cruise, I would love to hear about it.

We are doing an NCL cruise, so we have a day in Kona. Can you please tell me what you love and what you would recommend. Since we have 6 back to back port days, I don't want to overdo it on the Kona day since we will be doing the Volcanoes and a bunch of walking on the Hilo day.

I don't go until Feb 2019, so if you think of anything else after your cruise, I would love to hear about it.

I was in Kona on NCL and I have restricted mobility and not a lot of energy. I did the Seahorse farm (which was fascinating) and then in the afternoon my grandson and I did a outrigger canoe ride which was fun for him but did require that we wade out to the boat to get on. So you might not want to do that one.

In Hilo we did the Circle of Fire Helicopter tour and the bus tour to Volcano National Park. When we were there on Princess we did the progressive brunch

https://grandmahawaii.travellerspoint.com/18/

Some of the places I'm looking at and resources I used to pull my Hilo ideas from include:

I did NCL 2 yrs ago and in Kona we did tour that included coffee plantation and a tour boat tour...they were part of same excursion. Do not recall name of tour but we really enjoyed it, esp seeing so many spinner dolphins when we were on the small boat or ferry. It was not an exhausting tour.