Drive into the Keys

Nebr.cruiser

Has anyone recently driven down to the Florida Keys from Miami after the hurricane? We have a very late flight after our cruise and thought we would rent a car and drive down as far into the Keys as we have time for or want to do.

Just wondering if the damage is still a reason not to do this, if there any sights, roads, bridges, etc. that are either closed or not fully open, etc. Our flight leaves at 8:30 PM.

Please if you do go down, stop at the places that are open and spend money! The middle and upper keys need it.

Don't drive down there just to rubber neck, spread some cash around.

Yes, you will see a lot of stuff on the side of the road.

Lots of places open and they want your business. The upper keys are in good shape. I'd probably stay in that area, visit some local spots and hang out. Driving as far as you can just to drive, not sure about that.

We would not be going to 'rubber neck', that is,because of curiousity about the damage; we would be going to see the Keys and the scenery/places to visit they have to offer. We don't know if we even want to go all the way to Key West for that short time and long drive.

We were there 45 years ago, so we would like to experience the Keys again at some times; maybe this is not the best time.

But, don't really want to intrude on people trying to recover or see lots of piles of debris either.

If we stay in the upper to middle Keys, any suggestions as to where to stop and what to see? I'm sure we will spend money there, at least for a meal or two.

Just trying to stay as much as possible out of Miami traffic for our long day before our flight.

I did this last December fro Port Everglades, my goal was to make it down to Key West, but only ended up making it to Isamorada, Marathon, and Layton before we headed back to the airport.

Getting the Car took longer than expected and we stopped for lunch, sightseeing and dinner (Google Timeline shows about 4 hours total) and was at the airport at 6:30 for a 7:30 flight, although the last 15 minutes was pretty stressful. We ended up hitting traffic on the way back, but were also sightseeing Bloodline locations.

Driving the 274 Miles round trip took 6 hours 2 minutes, which is substantially longer than you would think.

Edited by chadwickx16
Pics not showing.

Driving to Key West for a day is crazy. Even Marathon is further than I'd want to make on a day trip. There is plenty to do in the upper keys. I miss my plane! Used to fly to Key West for the day, now that was fun.

Thanks everyone. We're still trying to come up with something for that day after the cruise that isn't too stressful or something we have already done (ie Everglades trip).
I would rent a car and drive A1A all the way up to Palm Beach (you'll have to go inland to get around Port Everglades), have lunch at The Breakers, head over to West Palm Beach and go to Manatee Lagoon at Riviera Beach (it is the FP&L Power plant) to see the manatees November through March.

The oceanfront homes and views on A1A are just amazing. It's one of my favorite road trips.

I would rent a car and drive A1A all the way up to Palm Beach (you'll have to go inland to get around Port Everglades), have lunch at The Breakers, head over to West Palm Beach and go to Manatee Lagoon at Riviera Beach (it is the FP&L Power plant) to see the manatees November through March.

The oceanfront homes and views on A1A are just amazing. It's one of my favorite road trips.

Excellent suggestions and if you are interested in history and/or the Gilded Age I would add a visit to Whitehall, the Flagler musuem (http://www.flaglermuseum.us/), as you pass thru Palm Beach (after lunch at the Breakers).