Our Country Home - The Fifth Year!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:56 PM.
Virginia Beach, VA
4,784 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
My husband went through this last summer for prostate cancer. There were some tough weeks when he felt discomfort, but it was more depressing for him that his body was betraying him. Other than some urgency and burning when urinating, his side effects were limited and now completely resolved. I know your's is at a different "body address", but it's right around the corner in the same radiation neighborhood. Now, he's pretty much back to normal.
new jersey
275 Posts
Joined May 2006
Hello Jim, I have been a follower for years now but have never posted before this. I am a cancer survivor of 3 different cancers. My big girl cancer was bile duct and that required surgery, radiation and chemo. One hint that was passed onto me. Buy some goats milk soap ( health food store) and use it when you shower or bathe especially on the area to be radiated. It will help with your skin and may reduce irritation and burns from the treatment. I had 28 radiation treatments and this really helped. This treatment will be rough but you will get thru it and continue your wonderful life with Judith.
Ontario, Canada
232 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
So sorry to hear of what you are about to endure. Even though I don't know you, except from your sharing your life with us, I feel I can say that I have never met someone who has such a positive outlook on life and it's many challenges. May this have as few side effects as possible for you. Positive prayers sent to you, and to Judith as she supports you through this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
suburban Chicago
1,191 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!

Since I have nothing more profound to add to what's already been posted by a mere fraction of the many, many Trainman and Judith fans, please accept my wishes for a successful couple of months of treatment so that you can get back to your normal, anything but boring, life.

Will be thinking of you both and continue to send out my positive "vibes"!

Ellen
Carson City NV
3,128 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by dreamer976
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!

Since I have nothing more profound to add to what's already been posted by a mere fraction of the many, many Trainman and Judith fans, please accept my wishes for a successful couple of months of treatment so that you can get back to your normal, anything but boring, life.

Will be thinking of you both and continue to send out my positive "vibes"!

Ellen
x2!! Couldn't have said it any better than Ellen. Prayers & good vibes throughout the upcoming treatment regimen for both you & Judith.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Past Cruises:
Freedom of the Seas - E. Caribbean - November 2016
Serenade of the Seas - Snowbird Migration - October 2015
Serenade of the Seas - Bahamas - April 2014
Liberty of the Seas - TA - October 2011
Monarch of the Seas - Baja - June 2008
Voyager of the Seas - W. Caribbean - March 2008
Vision of the Seas - Alaska - August 2006
Monarch of the Seas - Baja - August 2003
Viking Serenade - Baja - October 2001
Virginia
3,950 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Just think of us giving you a virtual hug as you and Judith go through this.

We’ll be there to hold a hand, too, if either of you need it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Joan

Anthem of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, March-April 2016; Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean, August 2015; Quantum of the Seas, Bahamas, November 2014; Independence of the Seas, April 2014; Explorer of the Seas, December 2012; Oasis of the Seas, Western and Eastern Caribbean, March 2012; Allure of the Seas, Eastern and Western Caribbean, March 2011; Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean, March 2010; Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, April 2009; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal, March 2008; Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean, April 2007; Sapphire Princess, Alaska, May 2006; Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean, April 2005; HAL Zuiderdam, Eastern Caribbean, April 2004
snow :)
10,150 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Jim

I wish you well and want you to know I was there for my brother when he underwent his radiation for his testicular cancer that spread to his lymph glands around his Aorta.

Now his radiation area encompassed from his testicles all the way to his nipple line.

He underwent 35 treatments, cannot remember the exact minutes.

We went like you will for us it was 7 weeks no time off, and I met him after work.

He became part of their family

What a great caring group of people wherever you go, they must have special counselling to meet the needs of those in treatment.

The last week my brother was sore and he had a little sun burn started,.

They told him how to take care of his skin.

My brother almost wanted to quit with 2 treatments left, but because of the medical team he persevered.

He finished all his treatment and 10 years after his diagnosis he was released from the radiation oncologist as a complete cure.

Um, he survived 27 years and then suffered a heart attack .......

Now mind you ----- he was told the same thing, even with the cancer for my brother spreading out of the area, they got him a cure.

His cancer was in his testes, but, these guys know what they are doing and they would not tell you that unless they knew because of previous success.

Be patient, you will persevere, it seems like a long time, but it will move quick.

You will be in our families thoughts and prayers

Sue
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Dallas area
990 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Adding my healing prayers to you and strength to both you and Judith.

Most of us never met you, but based on this thread, you are truly loved!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bonnie

10 Glorious Past Cruises
6 Royal Caribbean
2 Celebrity
1 Carnival
1 Premier Big Red Boat (Old Disney Line)
Jacksonville Florida
375 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
I have finally caught up on all the news since I last checked in on Oct. 29th. My prayers are with you as you go thru this trial. you have a strong spirit and a lot of people pulling for you.

We got a good last minute deal on Majesty that left Oct. 30th. While walking in Nassau I fell and broke my hip. I had surgery at the private hospital there. There were complications during surgery with a blood clot. Care there was very good. I was flown back to Jacksonville by air ambulance. I am home now and doing my physical therapy.

We had travel insurance which helped greatly with all the arrangements. I can't recommend it enough when one travels.

Good luck to you in the days ahead.

Cathy S.
Carson City NV
3,128 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by catella02
I have finally caught up on all the news since I last checked in on Oct. 29th. My prayers are with you as you go thru this trial. you have a strong spirit and a lot of people pulling for you.

We got a good last minute deal on Majesty that left Oct. 30th. While walking in Nassau I fell and broke my hip. I had surgery at the private hospital there. There were complications during surgery with a blood clot. Care there was very good. I was flown back to Jacksonville by air ambulance. I am home now and doing my physical therapy.

We had travel insurance which helped greatly with all the arrangements. I can't recommend it enough when one travels.

Good luck to you in the days ahead.

Cathy S.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you have a good recovery. Yours is another example why good travel insurance is important. We learned of a friend who had a major heart attack onboard a recent Transatlantic, the ship re-routed to Halifax for a week in the hospital, then flown home to the west coast. Unfortunately he succumbed to his illness, but fortunately they had good travel insurance that appears to be paying a significant portion of the medical and transportation costs incurred.
I am not an agent or a broker for any kind of insurance, or anything else for that matter. But when I hear stories such as yours, for us it reinforces the need to protect ourselves from financial ruin should one of us falls ill while traveling.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Past Cruises:
Freedom of the Seas - E. Caribbean - November 2016
Serenade of the Seas - Snowbird Migration - October 2015
Serenade of the Seas - Bahamas - April 2014
Liberty of the Seas - TA - October 2011
Monarch of the Seas - Baja - June 2008
Voyager of the Seas - W. Caribbean - March 2008
Vision of the Seas - Alaska - August 2006
Monarch of the Seas - Baja - August 2003
Viking Serenade - Baja - October 2001
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,674 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
10 Signs and Symptoms of Anal Cancer

By: Dorathy Gass
January 31, 2016

Anal cancer is the most uncommon form of colorectal cancerin the United States. According to recent estimates by the American CancerSociety, anal cancer affects approximately 7,200 people each year. As a result,it is one of the least researched and funded cancers in the world.

Although there may not be much information reported aboutanal cancer in the news, it is a dangerous disease. Due to the disparity incancer funding and research, there are few treatment options for anal cancer.Unfortunately, 14 percent of people who are diagnosed with anal cancer will notsurvive the disease.

Early diagnosis is a key component to overcoming an analcancer diagnosis. Here are 10 signs that could indicate the presence of analcancer in your body.

1. Rectal Bleeding

One of the most common and confusing symptoms associatedwith anal cancer is rectal bleeding. This symptom is common because millions ofpeople experience rectal bleeding each year. It is confusing because rectalbleeding can be a symptom of hemorrhoids, anal fissures, colon cancer or anynumber of other conditions. A few things you should pay attention to are thecolor and amount of the blood that is present in your rectal area. The presenceof bright red blood indicates the blood originates from an area close to theopening of your anus. The presence of dark-colored blood indicates that theblood originates from the upper parts of your bowels. As soon as you noticeblood in your stool, act immediately. It is important to consult a physician toget a proper diagnosis. Even though the blood is bright red, do not assume thatyou are healthy.

2. Anal Lumps

A healthy anal opening is smooth and free of bumps, lesions,warts or masses. The presence of lumps near the anus could be an indicationthat you have anal cancer. Anal lumps should not be confused with hemorrhoidsbecause they have different symptoms and causes. The most glaring differencebetween the two are anal lumps are hard and hemorrhoids are soft. When you haveanal cancer, the lumps can be inside or outside of the anus. To diagnose analcancer, physicians examine the lumps and other symptoms that are present. Ifyou are not sure whether your anal lumps are caused by hemorrhoids or analcancer, you need to consult your doctor immediately. A biopsy will determinewhether your anal lumps are cancerous tumors.

3. Fullness in the Anal Area

Your anal area is a sensitive and full of delicate nerveendings. Due to various conditions, you might occasionally feel discomfort inthe area surrounding your anus. If you notice abnormal or prolonged changes,you should take notice. A common symptom of anal cancer is a feeling offullness in or around your anus. The fullness could be caused by an anal tumor.This fullness makes you feel like you have a bowel movement stuck in your anus.Feeling a sense of fullness in your anal area is abnormal. Contact yourphysician to rule out the possibility of anal cancer.

4. Changes in Bowel Movements

It is important for you to know how your body functions.This will help you determine whether a condition that you are experiencing isnormal or abnormal. You will also be able to pinpoint changes that may indicatethere is a problem. If you have noticeable changes in your bowel movements orhabits, you should have your colorectal area examined. This could be anindication that you have anal cancer. Abnormal changes in your bowel movementsthat you should monitor are thin stools, constipation and diarrhea. Consultyour doctor as soon as you notice any prolonged changes in your bowelmovements.

5. Swollen Lymph Nodes Near Your Groin

The primary purpose of your lymph nodes is to removebacteria, trap germs and rid your body of toxins. They contain white bloodcells that attack foreign invaders and keep your body well. Swollen lymph nodesnear your groin area is a common symptom of the presence of anal cancer. Yourgroin is a small hip area that is located between your stomach and your upperthigh. The symptoms of swollen lymph nodes are a fever, mouth sores, warm areasnear the groin, tenderness and a sore throat. If the lymph nodes surroundingyour groin become swollen, remain calm. There are other reasons they could beswollen. However, you should contact your physician for a full examination.

6. Anal Discharge

It is not normal for any fluids to leak or discharge fromyour anus. The presence of anal discharge indicates that there is an underlyingproblem that needs to be treated. Types of liquids that can discharge from youranus are mucous, watery substances, fecal matter, oily matter and blood. Youmay see evidence of abnormal discharges in the seat of your undergarments ortoilet tissue after you wipe your bottom. In some instances, you may notice afoul odor that accompanies the anal discharge. The first thing you should doafter you notice an anal discharge is make an appointment to visit your doctor.Your doctor will examine the fluids to determine the exact problem.

7. Anal Pain

Any evidence of pain is the way your body signals there is aphysical ailment that needs to be addressed. If you are constipated, you mayexperience discomfort as you try to have a bowel movement. However, you shouldnot feel any pain that lasts longer than a few days. This pain could be causedby hemorrhoids, anal fissures and anal cancer. At first glance, there is no wayto determine the cause of the pain. That is the reason you need to get anexamination. Your doctor will make a diagnosis based on your other symptoms,tests and the results of your physical examination.

8. Fecal Incontinence

If you are not able to hold your stool, you are suffering fromfecal incontinence. It is characterized by an unexpected leak from your anus.This is a common sign of anal cancer.

9. Lower Back Pain

In women, common symptoms of anal cancer include lower backpain and vaginal dryness. Since the opening of the anus is close to the vagina,the leaky fluids may enter the vagina and disrupt its PH. Lower back pain canbe caused by a tumor that has metastasized from the anus.
It is important for you to know that anal cancer is highlytreatable if it is detected before it spreads. If your body exhibits any ofthese symptoms, take action immediately by contacting your physician.

10. Anal Itching

Anal itching is a common occurrence in adults. At first, youmay feel a slight urge to scratch your anus. As the condition progresses, youranus may itch more. If you scratch too hard, you can cause tears in your anus.Persistent anal itching that is not relieved by ointments should be checked outby your doctor.
Kelowna, BC
473 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Once again I have to thank you for your generosity of spirit. That is a very comprehensive list and because you have a lot of readers - you may have helped save a life by posting it. I continue to wish you all the best and sincerely hope your treatments are effective and not too difficult.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic Oct 2016
Allure of the Seas - Transatlantic Oct 2015
Norwegian Jade - Mediterranean March 2014
Voyager of the Seas - Sydney to Perth 2013
Regal Princess - Alaska Sep 2001

Big wish after Antarctica - Western Africa
2,624 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Trainman-2
10 Signs and Symptoms of Anal Cancer

By: Dorathy Gass
January 31, 2016

Anal cancer is the most uncommon form of colorectal cancerin the United States. According to recent estimates by the American CancerSociety, anal cancer affects approximately 7,200 people each year. As a result,it is one of the least researched and funded cancers in the world.

Although there may not be much information reported aboutanal cancer in the news, it is a dangerous disease. Due to the disparity incancer funding and research, there are few treatment options for anal cancer.Unfortunately, 14 percent of people who are diagnosed with anal cancer will notsurvive the disease.

Early diagnosis is a key component to overcoming an analcancer diagnosis. Here are 10 signs that could indicate the presence of analcancer in your body.

1. Rectal Bleeding

One of the most common and confusing symptoms associatedwith anal cancer is rectal bleeding. This symptom is common because millions ofpeople experience rectal bleeding each year. It is confusing because rectalbleeding can be a symptom of hemorrhoids, anal fissures, colon cancer or anynumber of other conditions. A few things you should pay attention to are thecolor and amount of the blood that is present in your rectal area. The presenceof bright red blood indicates the blood originates from an area close to theopening of your anus. The presence of dark-colored blood indicates that theblood originates from the upper parts of your bowels. As soon as you noticeblood in your stool, act immediately. It is important to consult a physician toget a proper diagnosis. Even though the blood is bright red, do not assume thatyou are healthy.

2. Anal Lumps

A healthy anal opening is smooth and free of bumps, lesions,warts or masses. The presence of lumps near the anus could be an indicationthat you have anal cancer. Anal lumps should not be confused with hemorrhoidsbecause they have different symptoms and causes. The most glaring differencebetween the two are anal lumps are hard and hemorrhoids are soft. When you haveanal cancer, the lumps can be inside or outside of the anus. To diagnose analcancer, physicians examine the lumps and other symptoms that are present. Ifyou are not sure whether your anal lumps are caused by hemorrhoids or analcancer, you need to consult your doctor immediately. A biopsy will determinewhether your anal lumps are cancerous tumors.

3. Fullness in the Anal Area

Your anal area is a sensitive and full of delicate nerveendings. Due to various conditions, you might occasionally feel discomfort inthe area surrounding your anus. If you notice abnormal or prolonged changes,you should take notice. A common symptom of anal cancer is a feeling offullness in or around your anus. The fullness could be caused by an anal tumor.This fullness makes you feel like you have a bowel movement stuck in your anus.Feeling a sense of fullness in your anal area is abnormal. Contact yourphysician to rule out the possibility of anal cancer.

4. Changes in Bowel Movements

It is important for you to know how your body functions.This will help you determine whether a condition that you are experiencing isnormal or abnormal. You will also be able to pinpoint changes that may indicatethere is a problem. If you have noticeable changes in your bowel movements orhabits, you should have your colorectal area examined. This could be anindication that you have anal cancer. Abnormal changes in your bowel movementsthat you should monitor are thin stools, constipation and diarrhea. Consultyour doctor as soon as you notice any prolonged changes in your bowelmovements.

5. Swollen Lymph Nodes Near Your Groin

The primary purpose of your lymph nodes is to removebacteria, trap germs and rid your body of toxins. They contain white bloodcells that attack foreign invaders and keep your body well. Swollen lymph nodesnear your groin area is a common symptom of the presence of anal cancer. Yourgroin is a small hip area that is located between your stomach and your upperthigh. The symptoms of swollen lymph nodes are a fever, mouth sores, warm areasnear the groin, tenderness and a sore throat. If the lymph nodes surroundingyour groin become swollen, remain calm. There are other reasons they could beswollen. However, you should contact your physician for a full examination.

6. Anal Discharge

It is not normal for any fluids to leak or discharge fromyour anus. The presence of anal discharge indicates that there is an underlyingproblem that needs to be treated. Types of liquids that can discharge from youranus are mucous, watery substances, fecal matter, oily matter and blood. Youmay see evidence of abnormal discharges in the seat of your undergarments ortoilet tissue after you wipe your bottom. In some instances, you may notice afoul odor that accompanies the anal discharge. The first thing you should doafter you notice an anal discharge is make an appointment to visit your doctor.Your doctor will examine the fluids to determine the exact problem.

7. Anal Pain

Any evidence of pain is the way your body signals there is aphysical ailment that needs to be addressed. If you are constipated, you mayexperience discomfort as you try to have a bowel movement. However, you shouldnot feel any pain that lasts longer than a few days. This pain could be causedby hemorrhoids, anal fissures and anal cancer. At first glance, there is no wayto determine the cause of the pain. That is the reason you need to get anexamination. Your doctor will make a diagnosis based on your other symptoms,tests and the results of your physical examination.

8. Fecal Incontinence

If you are not able to hold your stool, you are suffering fromfecal incontinence. It is characterized by an unexpected leak from your anus.This is a common sign of anal cancer.

9. Lower Back Pain

In women, common symptoms of anal cancer include lower backpain and vaginal dryness. Since the opening of the anus is close to the vagina,the leaky fluids may enter the vagina and disrupt its PH. Lower back pain canbe caused by a tumor that has metastasized from the anus.
It is important for you to know that anal cancer is highlytreatable if it is detected before it spreads. If your body exhibits any ofthese symptoms, take action immediately by contacting your physician.

10. Anal Itching

Anal itching is a common occurrence in adults. At first, youmay feel a slight urge to scratch your anus. As the condition progresses, youranus may itch more. If you scratch too hard, you can cause tears in your anus.Persistent anal itching that is not relieved by ointments should be checked outby your doctor.
Thank you for providing such detailed information to educate your many readers on signs of anal/rectal cancer.. I hope ALL that read this or any post related to a possible cancer diagnosis ask for a second reading of their diagnostic slides.
Many of these present to the radiologist and are diagnosed as cancer. I have seen this happen many times. When the slides are sent to a cancer center such as Johns Hopkins, the radiologists say high risk tissues ( will not get into specifics) but the tissue sampling is not cancer. We all have the right to ask our physicians for second readings on all tests but when you are told you have cancer, get another reading. All physicians would do this for sure if it were their slide specimens.
I am a nurse with more years than I expected but please consider what I am advising. It can save you from unnecessary procedures.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Loucat

Caribbean Princess 2/12; 8/14
HAL Eurodam 1/12
Liberty OTS 5/11
NCL Sky 7/10; 5/13 Dawn 12/12; 12/13
NCL Sun 2/15; Star 12/15; Getaway 7/16
Independence OTS 1/09
Celebrity Solstice 12/09
Radiance OTS 12/06; 2/07; 10/10
Rhapsody OTS 4/17
Jewel OTS 11/07; 4/09; 10/12
Empress OTS 3/05; 10/06;
Grandeur OTS 6/07
Enchantment OTS 11/05; 6/06; 11/09
Navigator OTS 6/05; 3/07
Explorer OTS Western 6/04; 1/05
Majesty OTS 11/04; 9/07; 12/08; 6/11
Azamara Quest 2/08; 12/16
Azamara Journey 3/16
Adventure OTS 5/08
Florida
44 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by Trainman-2

I beat cancer once before and I am going to beat it again!
I have no doubt that you will beat this cancer. You have a lot of friends & loyal followers that will be praying for you. It may not be a pleasant process but you will get through it with lots of support. Praying for strength for you & Judith for the battle!
Connie
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,674 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
My anal discharges are continuing to get worse, mostly blood and fecal matter.

The time has come for me to upgrade from the disposable "panty like" things I have been using to regular adult diapers.

There is a certain psychological problem with wearing the adult diapers just as there was with the "panty like" things but containing the mess is important so I don't ruin all of my clothes.

Damn...
558 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

The side effects of this type of cancer can really effect your daily quality of life. Here's hoping you can carry on not let it get you too down.
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,674 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
This morning was "learn about our well" morning. Keith the Handy Man came by and helped me to change the filters which dramatically increased our water flow. (They were totally clogged up)

After that, we were talking and I mentioned that I was trying to get hold of a guy who had worked on our system but had been unable to do so. Keith knew him, called him up and he showed up in about 15 minutes and taught me all about our treatment system and well. A modern replacement system will cost $5,100 installed and guaranteed. This is going to have to wait until we sell our old house.

We changed and went up to Palm Coast to the CVS Pharmacy and, after looking at my choices, I bought some new "panties." When I got home it turned out that they are the same as what I have (but in a different package) so tomorrow morning I will go back and exchange them for something better.