11 am flight from MCO after 6am arrival at Cape Canaveral ok?

Russ Lomas

We are supposed to dock at Port Canaveral at 6am on the Freedom. Just saw a flight that leaves MCO at 11 am. What are your experiences getting off at Port Canaveral and making it to the Orlando airport for an 11 am flight (I know the drive is about an hour) if we get arrange for a shuttle to be waiting for us when we disembark?

We are supposed to dock at Port Canaveral at 6am on the Freedom. Just saw a flight that leaves MCO at 11 am. What are your experiences getting off at Port Canaveral and making it to the Orlando airport for an 11 am flight (I know the drive is about an hour) if we get arrange for a shuttle to be waiting for us when we disembark?

It's not whether or not you'll make it in time but the hundreds of thousands of people from the theme parks going through MCO in Mid March in the middle of Spring and Easter Breaks.

No, you'll never make this flight.

No personal experience, but I've seen many trip reports where people describe doing early self walk off from DCL and being through MCO security before 9:30a. I'm going to be attempting a super early flight myself out of MCO, mostly based on those TRs and because the flight times on my departure day are wretched. That said, I have a plan B and I fly southwest, so I can cancel our flight and get the points back if it looks like we won't make it. So I'm taking the risk, but with open eyes.

It is really unwise to take such early flights.

You never know what customs/immigration will be like and history does not matter if the problem happens on your cruise or if you are the luck one who customs decides to stop to go through your luggage.

And MCO can be a zoo.

And back up plans are nice but if you are not booked on a second flight you might just find that all the other flights are fully booked.

Keith

I do not recommend a shuttle for an early flight out.

Private car from like Executive vip limo is the best choice.

They are based 2 blocks from the port and have great reviews

for early flights out of MCO.

Thanks to all who responded. Seems like most feel it would not be worth the risk to book the 11am flight. Our experience last year in Orlando with JetBlue was a total of about 20 minutes from arrival til we were waiting at the gate to board. Sounds like this is not the norm from what others have said.

That being said, the price on the tickets went back up to a much higher price, so it is definitely worth the risk for the higher price.

Guess I have to keep watching the prices for the next few months and hope for the best (I will be hoping for a reasonably priced flight departing after 12:30).

Thanks to all who responded. Seems like most feel it would not be worth the risk to book the 11am flight. Our experience last year in Orlando with JetBlue was a total of about 20 minutes from arrival til we were waiting at the gate to board. Sounds like this is not the norm from what others have said.

).

That is definitely an anomaly. I've been flying out of MCO my entire life and I've never made it that quickly to flight. At least not in the past 25 years.

When booking a flight, do not look at what time your flight takes off. Look at what time you have to be at the AP. For an 11 a.m. flight you would need to be there by 9:30. If it takes an hour to get to the AP, you have to be in the car by 8:30. Too many things can go wrong. I wouldn't risk it

There are times you just don't mess with MCO flight times. We have been at the airport in line to check luggage 2.5 hours before our flight and still missed the flight by an hour. We have also made it through check-in and security in under 30 minutes. The time of year is very important. Don't mess with Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter or spring break times thinking you won't have a long line SOMEWHERE, whether it's on the highway, check-in, or security, or all of the above, and it will make you very late.

• 2 weeks later...

Our experience this morning debarking Disney Dream at PC, going to MCO. Our original flight time was 10:15a. Would have made it with no problem. Joke's on us, we switched to Delta because they had a nonstop, and now our Delta flight has been cancelled and rebooked for three hours from now. So you can have your schadenfreude. :)

Here's what happened:

--Concierge led us to the front of disembark line around 7:15-7:20 ish (?)

--Grabbed luggage from concierge area (to the left as you come out)

--Through customs in about five minutes

--Feet on the ground at 7:30

--Mears car showed up at 7:40

--At MCO by about 8:30, but I'm not 100% of the time because during the ride over I started getting notifications about our cancelled/rebooked flights, and needed to do new check in/boarding passes etc. on the phone.

Security in terminal B was a walk-on (really, they were moving so fast I almost couldn't get my stuff organized in time). We were at the furthest gate in our Delta wing by 9:13 (took a screenshot). However, keep in mind:

--I stopped before check-in at Delta for about 15 minutes while we re-organized luggage (needed laptop chargers in carryon due to long wait for new flight), chatted with a Delta rep for a while about the implications of the rebooking (would our seat upgrades transfer? (they would)) and how my Delta amex wasn't linked to my flier account. THEN check in, then super-fast security (really, no line, this is Terminal B), then the monorail to the gates, and then a fifteen minute wait for Starbucks. And after all *that* I took the 9:13 screenshot.

So ... take from it what you will. Anything can happen, and early flights are still not 'recommended', but they are also not impossible. This is also the second time this year I've been through a completely unremarkable / short MCO security line on departure.

Our experience this morning debarking Disney Dream at PC, going to MCO. Our original flight time was 10:15a. Would have made it with no problem. Joke's on us, we switched to Delta because they had a nonstop, and now our Delta flight has been cancelled and rebooked for three hours from now. So you can have your schadenfreude. :)

Here's what happened:

--Concierge led us to the front of disembark line around 7:15-7:20 ish (?)

--Grabbed luggage from concierge area (to the left as you come out)

--Through customs in about five minutes

--Feet on the ground at 7:30

--Mears car showed up at 7:40

--At MCO by about 8:30, but I'm not 100% of the time because during the ride over I started getting notifications about our cancelled/rebooked flights, and needed to do new check in/boarding passes etc. on the phone.

Security in terminal B was a walk-on (really, they were moving so fast I almost couldn't get my stuff organized in time). We were at the furthest gate in our Delta wing by 9:13 (took a screenshot). However, keep in mind:

--I stopped before check-in at Delta for about 15 minutes while we re-organized luggage (needed laptop chargers in carryon due to long wait for new flight), chatted with a Delta rep for a while about the implications of the rebooking (would our seat upgrades transfer? (they would)) and how my Delta amex wasn't linked to my flier account. THEN check in, then super-fast security (really, no line, this is Terminal B), then the monorail to the gates, and then a fifteen minute wait for Starbucks. And after all *that* I took the 9:13 screenshot.

So ... take from it what you will. Anything can happen, and early flights are still not 'recommended', but they are also not impossible. This is also the second time this year I've been through a completely unremarkable / short MCO security line on departure.

You are at MCO in complete, dead, off season.

The OP is traveling in peak season when millions will be in the parks and on cruises.

• 4 weeks later...