Tipping Porters at NYC Cruise Terminal

travelady65

I am going on the Gem November 23, 2015... I will have one piece of luggage to check in at the terminal....can someone give me an idea of how much to tip the porter for one 28" piece of luggage.... have been reading some horror stories, and i want my luggage to arrive at my cabin in one piece...

Would appreciate if someone has an idea...to forward to me an answer...

Thanks,

Cathy

I am going on the Gem November 23, 2015... I will have one piece of luggage to check in at the terminal....can someone give me an idea of how much to tip the porter for one 28" piece of luggage.... have been reading some horror stories, and i want my luggage to arrive at my cabin in one piece...

Would appreciate if someone has an idea...to forward to me an answer...

Thanks,

Cathy

I usually hand them 2 dollars per bag, or $5 if we have 2 bags.

Really don't think tipping these guys/gals determins whether or not your bag gets there in one piece. More than half the time they aren't paying attention to whose bag is what just tossing the bags onto the cart and going onto the next!

Edited by MCAT48

Really don't think tipping these guys/gals determins whether or not your bag gets there in one piece. More than half the time they aren't paying attention to whose bag is what just tossing the bags onto the cart and going onto the next!

In San Pedro, I had a porter literally stand there and wait for the tip after taking my bags. Obviously a ransom demand; the bags will end up either on the ship, or off the dock... my choice.

I suppose I was fortunate to have a couple stray dollars in my wallet as I don't typically carry cash. I don't have a problem tipping, but the three bloody marys at the hotel an hour before helped me forget to grab cash. :cool:

In San Pedro, I had a porter literally stand there and wait for the tip after taking my bags. Obviously a ransom demand; the bags will end up either on the ship, or off the dock... my choice.

I suppose I was fortunate to have a couple stray dollars in my wallet as I don't typically carry cash. I don't have a problem tipping, but the three bloody marys at the hotel an hour before helped me forget to grab cash. :cool:

You really think the porter would have purposely mishandled your bag if you didn't tip? I always tip but to think that they would risk their job to get a couple bucks seems ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's true - if one wants to make sure they get their bag back at all times, do carry-on only. That way it will always be next to you without one of the handles being broken when you get it back among other things...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

That's insane! I've never seen anything like that in NYC terminal though. This is just my personal experience and I've never sailed out of anywhere but there. I also have always given tips to porters of a few dollars but they have never seemed to have given two craps either way.

Edited by MCAT48

You really think the porter would have purposely mishandled your bag if you didn't tip? I always tip but to think that they would risk their job to get a couple bucks seems ridiculous.

All I'm saying is she stood there after the bags were on her cart. Staring at me. With plenty of people behind me waiting.

All I'm saying is she stood there after the bags were on her cart. Staring at me. With plenty of people behind me waiting.

Sounds like the age-old Spanish saying of "Don't mess/play with my money or you're going to find out / recognize who I am!". When though its your money, they act like its theirs or you'll be facing the consequences of not coughing up the money......(Family Hispanic, that's how I know - you got off lucky with the just a stare, its usually said verbally. With nasty entitled attitude on top.)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Maybe you were wearing one of the Bloody Marys and didn't realize it. LOL

I think it really does matter what port you are at. Never saw a problem in Boston and embarked today in NYC without any real demand. Miami on the other hand, there was a canned speech that they were my porter, did not work for the cruise line, handled my bags, and I would not see them again.

The best service from the porters was at NYC ....the porter/longshoreman greeted us , came to the back of our loaded SUV, took out the 5 25 inch suitcases and was walking away when I stopped him and gave him $10 ..he was very thankful ...I've cruised from the 4 ports in Florida and have been greeted with. "We take care of your luggage, you take care of us ". That chuptzah earns them a buck a bag . I am too chicken to stiff them, I don't want my suitcases to take a swim

20 cruises. I have never tipped the cruise terminal staff and always got my bags.

I refuse to tip for a service I do not request or require.

I could easily put my bags in that rank if they let me....... my 2 cents.

If you only have one bag why not just take it on with you and save the hassel

Because NYC security guards will actually block people and make them check their bag(s) if it's more than 22-24 inches or isn't a duffel bag to the porters on the 2nd level. Seriously, you can carry-on a 30 inch Ebags duffel bag past security but a 30-inch spinner is a no-no to them. :rolleyes: And if you don't have a luggage tag, the porter will them write one out and put it on the luggage for you, hence a $2-5 tip to guy (depending on how generous you're feeling).

Edited by maywell

20 cruises. I have never tipped the cruise terminal staff and always got my bags.

I refuse to tip for a service I do not request or require.

I could easily put my bags in that rank if they let me....... my 2 cents.

A service you don't request? So you should just carry on your bags. Really? Can't just give a couple bucks? Wow!

Off Breakaway in August. We did tip our porter who took our bags from " downstairs" across the bottem level then in the elevator to the top level, and this was appreciated so we could catch a cab back to an apt. about 15 min. from pier. our problem was not with porter but with cabbie. First, he " grabbed the porter to get us to go with him, made us WALK almost what seemed to be about 2 blocks to where his cab was parked, loaded us up. He didn't do anything more than the porter did, and we tipped the same, although he insulted us in the parking lot of the apartment building actually saying " is that ALL of a tip? ". When do we HAVE to tip a cabbie, we did though, he continued to be verbally insulting until my husband offered him $1 more, and then he got in his cab and left. Our grandson was with us, and it did not leave a very good impression , we have had cabbies in NYC who were very pleasant and appreciative. NOT THIS GUY so we tried to tell our grandson, " they are not all like that."

Honestly never heard of tipping luggage handlers. I always felt they are ships staff (?) ,,however, we just hand them over, and everytime the luggage arrived perfectly. Sailed several times from nyc and boston both...

Similar to a bellhop who brings the luggage to a hotel room. They are providing a service and while tipping is not mandatory it Is common courtesy.

Honestly never heard of tipping luggage handlers. I always felt they are ships staff (?) ,,however, we just hand them over, and everytime the luggage arrived perfectly. Sailed several times from nyc and boston both...

They are not ship staff, and it is customary to tip them, same as at the airport.