Will Epic be a zoo during Spring Break?

julie3fan

I hope this hasn't been asked before. Please excuse me if it has - I did try to search and came up blank. :)

I'm researching Caribbean cruises for the first part of next year, and I want to avoid the Western Caribbean itineraries (they should be called Eastern Mexico!). Anyways, I thought I had narrowed it down to the Epic sailing from Port Canaveral on March 18th and B2B with the March 25th sailing. But then somebody brought up the thought that it might be Spring Break. :eek:

So my question is, will the Epic be a mad frenzy of families with kids and groups of college kids during those two weeks? DH and I have never sailed on a large ship like the Epic, and we've never sailed during Spring Break. I pretty much do all the vacation planning for us, and I don't want to risk my good reputation by booking a cruise that turns out to be too crazy, long lines, etc.

I could always book us for earlier in the year to avoid Spring Break, but I'm trying to space this cruise a little more evenly between the one we have in a month and May 2018.

Thanks for any input!

YES especially with the booze pkg

It's a no brainer for students, they can drink all they want eat all they want and when they want and don't have to worry about cleaning up after throwing up.

We never cruise at this time or holiday time even when there was no booze pkg. Just too crazy

Edited by FranknBeans

Chances are it will be total chaos in March. Having done a similar cruise at the end of February (start of Spring Break for some areas, so lots of kids on board), I can also tell that you can be smart about it and still have a wonderful cruise. Just avoid some key strategic areas / times, and you'll be just fine.

For example, avoid the pool and the buffet at all cost. Spend your days on those quiet sun decks away from the pool (deck 18 and/or Spice H2O) and have relaxed lunches in the MDR whenever you can.

Also, carry some ear plugs with you, as you are likely to hear some unsupervised kids running and screaming by your cabin in the night.

We always sail during spring break, and have never had an issue with kids or college kids. It's the rude adults you will have an issue with, and that is any time of the year.

I totally agree. We have sailed during spring break many times and have never had a problem.

If you were taking a 3 or 4 day cruise I would say be careful, but on a 7 day or longer not so much.

There will always be the problem people on any cruise but I wouldn't get too concerned over a 7 night cruise.

If you go into it with the expectation of a lousy time more than likely you will have a lousy time and vice versa.

So my question is, will the Epic be a mad frenzy of families with kids and groups of college kids during those two weeks? DH and I have never sailed on a large ship like the Epic, and we've never sailed during Spring Break. I pretty much do all the vacation planning for us, and I don't want to risk my good reputation by booking a cruise that turns out to be too crazy, long lines, etc.

I could always book us for earlier in the year to avoid Spring Break, but I'm trying to space this cruise a little more evenly between the one we have in a month and May 2018.

Thanks for any input!

Well I always enjoy sailing in March the weather is the best for the Caribbean. I have sailed other moths and the weather was not a good and the ship was dead or chock full of old folks. So the shows and dinner times were booked and by 10pm the ship was dead very boring. Now that being said I do agree do not do a 3 to 5 day cruise at all. Very bad in summer spring and holidays. Now the Epic is not sailing with the 3rd and 4th guest free option so it will be the least of the spring break family crowd. I loved the Epic there is a lot to do. Getaway prob my fave but Epic is close. I would just avoid the pool deck everywhere else is fine. The buffet at lunch is very crowded also. If you have not sailed in march then you may have a issue. Or if your hoping for that HAL crowd and experience you will not have fun.

We took a Med cruise on the Epic this Summer . I believe it was the ACD who told me there were 4900 passengers on board , 700 over 2 to a room capacity . Lots and lots of kids . I was very impressed with how well the ship operated with such a large crowd . This was a very port heavy cruise but still kudos for being able to handle so many so well .

If they do as good a job during Spring break you should be fine .

Thank you, everybody, for the good advice and personal accounts. I plan to call my TA tomorrow and book the March dates. DH and I always have fun, no matter if we're cruising or cleaning the cat box, so I'm sure we'll have as much fun on this cruise as we've had on all the others! And if we don't, it will just be another small hiccup in life. ☺ Happy sailing to all of you.

YES especially with the booze pkg

It's a no brainer for students, they can drink all they want eat all they want and when they want and don't have to worry about cleaning up after throwing up.

We never cruise at this time or holiday time even when there was no booze pkg. Just too crazy

It may have changed but Ncl didn't used to offer ubp during spring break. But with the promos I'm sure they are now offering it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on the same cruise Julie....and I share your concern.

I'm not from the US, and my opinion of Spring Break chaos is purely from the movies....

That said we have two "Spring breakers" at home and we are leaving them at home and don't want to meet their US cousins on our cruise.....

Worried now...

We always sail during spring break, and have never had an issue with kids or college kids. It's the rude adults you will have an issue with, and that is any time of the year.

Never an issue,,, I have done St Patrick Week the last 3 years,,,, never a problem on the BA out of NYC.

It will definitely be filled with lots of people. Can be managed as the ship is large. Try to avoid having to use the elevators when you can (use stairs) and the buffet during peak times.

Important to book the shows you want to see as early as possible on the NCL site. If you want to eat at any specialty restaurants, book those, too. That way you get your preferred times.

We were on the Epic earlier earlier this year and will go on it again in January. Enjoyed the entertainment and food was good, too.

Its doable, but YES it is crazy, and this is coming from college kids. Great time was had by all, BUT the pool deck was crazier than usual (3rd time on Epic) and just a wilder ship in general. Our rule of thumb, is we book the premium lines like Princess and Celebrity over holiday times, because their clientele is more similar to NCL or RCCL during the off times. Plus their prices are not extremely higher than usual, since those sailing with X or Princess usually are not the spring break crowd in general.

I am on the same cruise Julie....and I share your concern.

I'm not from the US, and my opinion of Spring Break chaos is purely from the movies....

That said we have two "Spring breakers" at home and we are leaving them at home and don't want to meet their US cousins on our cruise.....

Worried now...

Hi Feebs! I've seen you post on our roll call. ☺ After most of the responses to my question here, I am no longer worried (too much). I only booked after I read the mostly positive responses. I am, however, prepared for this cruise to be unlike any other we've taken, and I'm not taking bets if we'll walk away saying this was the best cruise yet. Looking forward to meeting you!

We have sailed during spring break time and never had a problem.

First off, the cruise line works to keep the ships full. So, in terms of numbers of people, it will probably be a little more than "normal" (i.e. more people crammed into the 3rd and 4th bunks vs. pure double occupancy).

The demographics will have more young kids/families that non-break time.

On a large ship like the Epic, there are those lounges geared to the young [at heart] and those geared to the more mature. Take your pick. The Bliss lounge slightly younger crowd. Cavern Club a mix. Spice H20 will have 70's and 80's theme night music in the early evenings (families) and "younger" music later. All of the bars and atrium will have live music for a mixed crowd.

Bottom line,,,, there is something for everyone. The fact that it is a large ship allows you options to move from clubs and bars to others depending on your taste. I wouldn't shy away from spring break. We've sailed on the Epic 5 times and enjoyed each cruise.

Edited by BirdTravels

• 5 months later...