Glory 10/14/2017-10/21/2017 Eastern turned Western

firemanbobswife

Hello, all it's me again! Thought I would go ahead and start my review. I usually like to do it live from the ship as many of you know, but the internet was SO slow. It took a couple minutes to even get CC to load and sometimes it would time out, so here I am.

We were supposed to go to HMC, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk, but the hurricanes squashed that and we ended up at Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. I LOVE Roatan and Cozumel, have no use for Belize, and grew to like Grand Cayman this trip.

OK here we go.

Flew into FLL just because. I stayed at the Hampton Inn just like I did in August when I went on Conquest right there by PE Cruise Port. The customer service is great and their free shuttle from the airport is easy to spot in a sea of white vans. Just look for the blue one with Pink Flamingos on the top! I was way early both times, but they had my room ready within 10 minutes of me getting there this go around. I think it helps that you can check in ahead of time so they know to expect you. In August I had no wait at all but I was a couple hours later then.

111d20b8f78ab9ce2fd604cb39237caf.jpg

On Saturday we made our way to POM, no wait and I did see the signs for people who were outside of their arrival appointment. They were standing in line so they must have been enforcing the times. Around to the side for Priority, 30 second wait to show my Passport and give my Health Questionnaire, the lady did some typing in the computer, and off I went. The Captain's Lounge was closed. Instead they had D/P/Suites go up the escalator and to left around past the elevators to a "secret room" that I had no idea existed. It was huge and had windows on 2 sides. We had a view of the ship "behind" us. FTTF had a designated area along the right side of the main lounge where the windows are to the employee offices and where you would go up the escalator to board.

Now I'm sure some of you are aware that the cruise that debarked before us is the one where the little girl went over the side of the railing in the atrium. We saw it on the news in the morning, but they never said what ship it was. Obviously since Carnival knew, it would have been nice to get a text BEFORE everyone started heading to the port so we could have taken our time. Well that's not what happened. We sat in the Priority area and not one person came to inform us of anything. They apparently made an announcement in the main area saying it was going to be 2 hours and they were offering a free shuttle to Bayside if you wanted to leave. I only know this because my mom was there and texted me. We opted to stay and later on heard from other people on the ship that the terminal was to capacity and they weren't letting anyone else in and people were lined up in the heat outside. We received this text at 11:51AM on our cell phones. Well after the initial check in time of 10:30AM. EXTREMELY poor communication on Carnival's part.

0cebbcf849644b108eb69cf787b3f220.jpg

It wasn't too much longer after the text went out, maybe 30 min or so (I was starving because I didn't eat breakfast so that I could save my calories for a Guy's Burger) that they began boarding.

I'll go ahead and get this part out of the way now since I know a lot of people may be curious about the incident I previously mentioned. I spoke to someone onboard who knows what happened (that is all I'm going to say). The girl went over the railing from Deck 6 on to Deck 3. Her mother was in an elevator with her younger son. The girl climbed up and leaned way over the railing, lost her footing, and over she went.

I can tell you it isn't something anyone has to be worried about happening to you unless you are clearly doing something you aren't supposed to be. No one "falls" (and that' is why I refuse to use that word in describing this or other similar incidents) over a railing either indoors or out on a cruise ship when engaging in normal everyday activities. So please, if you're unsure about cruising and afraid this sort of thing will happen out of the blue, rest assured it won't. I have been cruising with my kids since they were 5 and 7 and they knew and understood the rules from day 1. Never even came close to having an incident and we even stayed in balcony cabins. Pay attention to your kids, teach them from the beginning, and have a great vacation.

The area where it occurred.

09e6d25164a42a8606deb2d0f5a18ea8.jpg

The height of the railing. I am 5’3.

0575a11f741d461660640c919a182d68.jpg

What the front of the glass looks like. This is from Deck 5, but it’s the same on every Deck.

f0bb6995e3e3736493a421fad7ad9eaa.jpg

I had cabin 9292 again. I got "stuck" with this one on Conquest because I booked last minute and all that was left were Accessible Cabins and I was very skeptical about being able to deal with the smaller cabin. I grew to love it and when this one popped up for general booking, I grabbed it. I really like being close to the action, but found this trip since I did so many excursions, that it wasn't as great as last time. On Conquest I never got off the ship so it was super convenient to the loungers to lay out on.

They changed the signs on the doors. I wonder since it doesn't mention Diamond/Platinum/FTTF if they are going to do way with that perk, or if it was simply overlooked when making the new signs.

f6b80ea15dfad95bc8e7db89495bbb93.jpg

Our S&S cards were in our mailboxes and for those of you that know me know I am a huge fan of this as it eliminates the second line at check in. No, someone isn't going to steal your cards and charge a bunch of stuff on it so get that silliness out of your head. Not all the cards were in the mailboxes so it appears they are enforcing the cabin ready times - at least on Deck 9.

My cabin. Loved the new carpet and bedskirt. Looked like all the cabins on Deck 9 got the new carpet. Deck 8 and below as far as I could tell didn’t.

The fridge was up on the counter instead of below like on Conquest putting the safe in the closet. Let me tell you that fridge got cold enough to keep my chocolate covered strawberries nearly frozen for 3 days. Amazing how cold they can get when not in the cabinet!

The safe was a keypad type where all the other ones in other cabins are still the old magnetic card types. Maybe they are replacing them with the newer type when they die. No idea.

ab021aae1b4f3e0d88e544b7aff1cd76.jpg

12d2436b90a95952791add7e705bb3a2.jpg

b3bedc718a659e8aeea7e1fd0f0872cb.jpg

I met my room steward after muster. He presented me with "The card" and gave it to me to fill out myself. I asked for a robe (which I got on the 3rd night after I caught him in the hallway), and evening service. "BOTH" was an option and he even mentioned that when I handed him the card back. I told him no, that's OK I don't like to be rushed in the mornings, but if he could please come in the AM the next day as we had a Cabin Crawl in the afternoon and I wanted my cabin looking pretty. It wasn't the same getting my towel animal in the daytime that day! I could have picked both, as I was up early every day except Belize for excursions, but that's OK. I'm not a messy person by any means and only needed my towels changed out pretty much at night. Why don't I reuse my towels as some people seem to ask when these things come up? Because there is no air circulation in the cabin to dry them and a damp towel is nasty. So there, I said it.

Oh and while I'm thinking about it, there was a thread a while back where some people were upset that there is no more "Cruizin" sign to hang on your door and it only says "Snoozin" on both sides. Must be a conspiracy, right? It's is my opinion that they are doing that because people were turning them around causing guests to be upset. I made it clear when I was in my cabin as the Snoozin sign went up and my deadbolt on. When I left, the sign came down. It's really a simple concept.

Back to why I mention this. I thought when I stayed at my hotel the last time that I saw the same thing on my hotel door hanger but I wasn't 100% sure. So this time I checked and took pictures. Appears it is becoming the industry norm now. Oh the horror!!! LOL!

7def5bbd932a5893d23723b3289e7e28.jpg

8b09ffe0c6847999c98dec301b44f0e4.jpg