When will the Noordam receive a face lift???

CAVE MAN

• 5 months later...

Any more recent news on the Noordam refresh is it still not happening in 2018? We’re booked for the 38 night Vancouver to Auckland repo this fall in an SS but if the suites aren’t going to be updated and the new entertainment venues aren’t going to be added (among other things that were to be done), we’re having second thoughts about being onboard her that long. ☹️

Any more recent news on the Noordam refresh is it still not happening in 2018? We’re booked for the 38 night Vancouver to Auckland repo this fall in an SS but if the suites aren’t going to be updated and the new entertainment venues aren’t going to be added (among other things that were to be done), we’re having second thoughts about being onboard her that long. ☹️

Noordam is not scheduled for a dry-dock in 2018

I am scheduled for a 36 day Aus, NZ to San Diego on the Noordam cruise in March of 2019. I confirmed with the cruise consultant aboard the Kongingsdam (when I reserved the Noordam cruise) that the Noordam would be refurbished prior to the March 2019 cruise. That has all changed

I was notified that the cruise I reserved has been changed from March to April 2019 but my PCC still states that no reburbishment is scheduled. There is a two week period at the end of March that nothing is scheduled for the Noordam.

I am rethinking the cruise at this point.

Sched isn't out yet officially, but my money is on Noordam having a date with dry-dock in early 2019
Before booking our Alaska cruise this coming August, I had seen the May, 2018 drydock schedule, but during one of my calls to Seattle I asked and was told it won't be until 2019. No exact date. I was a bit disappointed, but it's not going to ruin the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

When we booked our 29-day-cruise on Noordam in 2017 we were assured that a face lift was scheduled for spring 2018 . This has been cancelled - we are rather disappointed ... Now Holland America Europe has confirmed to us that the drydock is now scheduled from April 28th to May 12th, 2019.

Now - that is the ultimate question for us : sail this year or re-book later in the year and wait to cruise until after refurbishment? Decisions, decisions... Prices will most certainly be higher next year but 29 days is quite a long time if the cabins are really as shabby and run-down as some reviews seem to suggest.

When we booked our 29-day-cruise on Noordam in 2017 we were assured that a face lift was scheduled for spring 2018 . This has been cancelled - we are rather disappointed ... Now Holland America Europe has confirmed to us that the drydock is now scheduled from April 28th to May 12th, 2019.

Now - that is the ultimate question for us : sail this year or re-book later in the year and wait to cruise until after refurbishment? Decisions, decisions... Prices will most certainly be higher next year but 29 days is quite a long time if the cabins are really as shabby and run-down as some reviews seem to suggest.

Very interesting!!!

I am scheduled to cruise April 7-May 12, 2019 on the Noordam.

No one has informed me of a change in the schedule.

Hum----

Maybe it's supposed to be 2020?????? I'm having second thoughts myself! After your post I looked up the schedule for Noordam in 2019 and found - cruises during the Alaska season following the Transpacific ! :o - Very strange, this. So either they will be working something into the current schedule - perhaps after the South Pacific cruise and before the Alaska cruises out of Vancouver ??? or I was misinformed by the cruise line. They really do play the waiting game! Maybe somebody of the usually better informed crowd on CC will find a TRUE answer....

Hard to know what "shabby and rundown" means to different posters. They could be scuffed up, dated colors and older fixture bathrooms. Since the Noordam has the older, more traditional HAL lay-out with the great library space and full Crows Nest we would pick her no matter what reports were posted about her present interior condition as long as it was the itinerary and price that looked good. The range of reactions to any ship's "conditiion" never ceases to amaze me. As others have often said, were we on the same ship and the same cruise after they read some of the post-cruise reports.

There will always be issues on every cruise - so no one is making a false report - it is just the scale of the reaction to some of these ongoing issues that is personal. Do frayed carpet treds appall me? No, but others find that very disconcerting. Are their buckets out when the humidity runs off the sliding glass roof or Crows Nest windows - I file that under ship happens. Same with ongoing painting - the salty sea is relentless. And yes toilets can clog up due primarily to what other passengers put down them that does not belong or the AC might get glitchy if someone insists on forcing their balcony door open which ruins the ventilation for everyone else on that circuit. These things can and do happen.

Depends upon what one travels for. Deluxe pristine settings and non-stop entertainment, or a good enough place to eat, sleep and travel. The Noordam as a Visa ship also has those terrific "SS" class cabins - larger than a regular verandah cabin, but less pricy and smaller than the Neptune.

Hard to know what "shabby and rundown" means to different posters. They could be scuffed up, dated colors and older fixture bathrooms. Since the Noordam has the older, more traditional HAL lay-out with the great library space and full Crows Nest we would pick her no matter what reports were posted about her present interior condition as long as it was the itinerary and price that looked good. The range of reactions to any ship's "conditiion" never ceases to amaze me. As others have often said, were we on the same ship and the same cruise after they read some of the post-cruise reports.

There will always be issues on every cruise - so no one is making a false report - it is just the scale of the reaction to some of these ongoing issues that is personal. Do frayed carpet treds appall me? No, but others find that very disconcerting. Are their buckets out when the humidity runs off the sliding glass roof or Crows Nest windows - I file that under ship happens. Same with ongoing painting - the salty sea is relentless. And yes toilets can clog up due primarily to what other passengers put down them that does not belong or the AC might get glitchy if someone insists on forcing their balcony door open which ruins the ventilation for everyone else on that circuit. These things can and do happen.

Depends upon what one travels for. Deluxe pristine settings and non-stop entertainment, or a good enough place to eat, sleep and travel. The Noordam as a Visa ship also has those terrific "SS" class cabins - larger than a regular verandah cabin, but less pricy and smaller than the Neptune.

In full agreement. Thank you for your reasoned comment. On Noordam next month, trans-Pacific, and looking forward to it. It's the experience, not just the amenities.