Internet Packages on Nieuw Amsterdam

Jimbo59

Crew News got a great deal with the $250 unlimited for 18 days. I was on the second week as Crew News and we were offered 7 days unlimited for $249 which could be used until we disembarked the ship on the last morning. I felt $35 a day a bit steep so I purchased one of the minute plans. These are what were available for the seven days.

600 minutes - $199

400 minutes - $159

200 minutes - $99

30 minutes - $19

How long was the cruise for $250?

My experience was a little over a year ago, so may be out of date, but ...

When I sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam I was on four consecutive cruises of 12, 7, 7, and 13 days. A friend on the first 12-day cruise bought the unlimited Internet for $249. I paid the same amount for the entire 39 days. I heard of others who boarded after the first cruise who paid the same $249 for unlimited.

It seems the price is for the package, and length of cruise doesn't come into play. Strange, but that's the way it was.

It's the standard minute plan: 1000 minutes $250; 500 mins $175; 250 mins $100, 100 mins $55. Or $0.75 a minute - pay as you go.

I don't know if it changes for other itineraries, but this is Wayfarer/Seafarer. Otherwise sign-in is just like all the other ships - I've been on lately.

It's the standard minute plan: 1000 minutes $250; 500 mins $175; 250 mins $100, 100 mins $55. Or $0.75 a minute - pay as you go.

I don't know if it changes for other itineraries, but this is Wayfarer/Seafarer. Otherwise sign-in is just like all the other ships - I've been on lately.

I've heard wifi can be painfully slow. I suppose it helps if one doesn't use it at peak hours. How did you find it - really slow?

I've heard wifi can be painfully slow. I suppose it helps if one doesn't use it at peak hours. How did you find it - really slow?
Last month on the Oosterdam four speed tests during off-peak times gave download rates ranging from 1.75 Mbps to 2.81 Mbps with latencies from 308 to 376 ms. Edited by jtl513

I wrote an answer for you and then my Hot Spot got out of range - so I lost it. I'm just on the ship and just signed-up - speed is decent right now. Who knows once we get away from the US and more people sign up. I will report back if it seems to falter or get real slow. A case of no news is good news, I hope.

I wrote an answer for you and then my Hot Spot got out of range - so I lost it. I'm just on the ship and just signed-up - speed is decent right now. Who knows once we get away from the US and more people sign up. I will report back if it seems to falter or get real slow. A case of no news is good news, I hope.

Thank you - would appreciate it!! Have a great time!:D

Last month on the Oosterdam four speed tests during off-peak times gave download rates ranging from 1.75 Mbps to 2.81 Mbps with latencies from 308 to 376 ms.

LOL!!! I don't know a Mbps or ms from a hole in the ground!! Was that fast or not? :confused:

LOL!!! I don't know a Mbps or ms from a hole in the ground!! Was that fast or not? :confused:
Well, speeds in peoples' homes today commonly range from 10 or 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) up to maybe 60, depending mainly on how much you pay, so something around 2 or 3 will seem very slow to those people. Latency is another important factor in how fast the throughput is. At home I get 30 to 40 ms (milliseconds) so 10 times that much on the ship's satellite connection is poor by comparison.

If you'd like to know how fast your home service is, go to speedtest.att.com and click Start. It takes just a few seconds. If your home service is comparable to the ship service numbers I quoted you will not be too unhappy on board. :)

Edited by jtl513

Well, speeds in peoples' homes today commonly range from 10 or 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) up to maybe 60, depending mainly on how much you pay, so something around 2 or 3 will seem very slow to those people. Latency is another important factor in how fast the throughput is. At home I get 30 to 40 ms (milliseconds) so 10 times that much on the ship's satellite connection is poor by comparison.

If you'd like to know how fast your home service is, go to speedtest.att.com and click Start. It takes just a few seconds. If your home service is comparable to the ship service numbers I quoted you will not be too unhappy on board. :)

Yes - that's pretty slow!! Thank you for explaining :)

On the Eurodam recently we had no complaints with the internet. We purchased the $55 plan -100 minutes and it was sufficient for our 14 night cruise but we were only checking mail. If you want to browse online then you may need more minutes and buy a longer plan.

We found logging in very simple with the new Navigator system. When you are on the ship opening Navigator is free of charge and you can see the days itinerary which you can personalise with your own plans, view the ships excursions, see daily menus in all the restaurants, and browse certain sites free of charge like HAL and the New York Times. You can also check your onboard account which we found very useful as well as the interactive TV system.

If you want to use the internet you just tap 'paid internet' section and once you have completed the log in the first time all you need to do is enter your selected pin for future use. Don't forget to log out!

We found by writing mail off line then logging in we could send and receive mail in a couple of minutes. If you use Whatsap that will work the same... always type offline and save time. Check your mail has downloaded .. delete the spam and read messages .. offline!

We also found we could easily catch up longer with free wifi once ashore. Most bars/ cafes and cruise terminals have free wifi. Just look for the crew!

Happy cruising.

• 1 year later...

Hi, first-time cruiser sailing in early April. Has anyone tried using VPN through the ship internet? I saw a note on another forum that all VPN access is blocked but it was a very old thread. I work as a technology manager and may be asked to log in via VPN should something urgent come up at work. Just curious if that’s even a possibility.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2018 at 7:03 AM, CSirm23 said:

Hi, first-time cruiser sailing in early April. Has anyone tried using VPN through the ship internet? I saw a note on another forum that all VPN access is blocked but it was a very old thread. I work as a technology manager and may be asked to log in via VPN should something urgent come up at work. Just curious if that’s even a possibility.

Thanks!

Good question.  I wanted to know if VPN would work, too.