Amsterdam to Rotterdam transportation

jow623

There are many frequent trains between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Once there however you need a cab or public transport to the cruise terminal. Also this private driver is used by many cruisers: http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

Did you read the attachment, Ine?

http://dagtoer.simplesite.com/438821995

We are staying in Amsterdam for a few days before our cruise, which sails from Rotterdam. What would be the best way to get to Rotterdam?

Option a) is the train - but be warned you need to handle your own luggage and it is not always easy from step A to the luggage room on the train.

Option b) is a private transfer and, if you find a couple of roll call members to share it with, it could be well worth it. No luggage hassle, no issues on the train.

The train is great (and we have done it) but with luggage - it can be a very difficult situation, especially when the luggage space is already full.

We are doing the same thing in June and the Holland America transfer was $24.00/pp which I thought was pretty reasonable. For our cruise, the departure point was the Park Plaza Victoria Hotel and we need to be there by 10:30am. I don't know if this information varies between different cruises though.

No I didnot as he was in business many years, I bookmarked his site.. Sorry to read he stopped doing this. Very nice man who transported many happy cruisers.

He is still in business as we speak, but is pulling out as of November 1st of this year

He is still in business as we speak, but is pulling out as of November 1st of this year

Yes exactly. I got in contact with him and he confirmed business till November 1.

Have done some research on this, as I will be going from Amsterdam to Rotterdam the evening before a cruise in June. The evening schedule is particularly dense, with "Direct" and "Intercity Direct" trains leaving five times an hour. No advance reservations are needed, fares are moderate, and you can opt for a bit more elbow room by paying for a first-class ticket. Journey time is around 42 minutes.

You can enter your desired dates and departure times / arrival times at this website and get info specific to your situation, including some fare info, as I recall: http://www.raileurope.com

Edited by jeph
add web info

Have done some research on this, as I will be going from Amsterdam to Rotterdam the evening before a cruise in June. The evening schedule is particularly dense, with "Direct" and "Intercity Direct" trains leaving five times an hour. No advance reservations are needed, fares are moderate, and you can opt for a bit more elbow room by paying for a first-class ticket. Journey time is around 42 minutes.

You can enter your desired dates and departure times / arrival times at this website and get info specific to your situation, including some fare info, as I recall: http://www.raileurope.com

Interrcity direct trains have a surcharge. The site of dutch railways: https://www.ns.nl/

From the trainstation you need either a cab or tram to get to the cruiseterminal.

We are doing the same thing in June and the Holland America transfer was $24.00/pp which I thought was pretty reasonable. For our cruise, the departure point was the Park Plaza Victoria Hotel and we need to be there by 10:30am. I don't know if this information varies between different cruises though.

$24 per person is quite reasonable. We were on a cruise to Norway last May, and the HAL transfer from Rotterdam port to Amsterdam airport was around $100 per person.

We took the train.

The train service between Amsterdam and Rotterdam is frequent and rapid. The stations are modern and much much nicer than American train stations. A drawback for US travelers is that tickets are mostly sold by automated kiosks at the entrance. They are easy to use, except that they require a chip-and-PIN credit card. Note: almost all US credit cards are chip-and-SIGNATURE. To use one of those, you need to go to the ticket office.

In Rotterdam the subway is also frequent, fast, and clean, and there is a line that runs from the station to a stop adjacent to the pier.