Lido Cabanas on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam

Yodalicious

I was looking at the deck plans for the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, and did not see the Lido Cabanas, Did they do away with them?

What is the difference between the Lido Cabana's and the retreat Cabana's? I know one must pay for the retreat Cabana because I just reserved one for upcoming cruise. Do you have to reserve and pay for the Lido Cabana's?

We were on the K-dam and they had what I would call loungers on a deck above the Lido pool, it was first come, first served. Is this the same thing? This will be our first time on the Eurodam.

What is the difference between the Lido Cabana's and the retreat Cabana's?

There is a charge for both, although the Lido cabanas are less expensive.

The Lido cabanas are in a well-used public area, while the Retreat cabanas are separated from the rest of the passengers (although there is public space nearby).

On the E-dam, the most-used path from the Lido restaurant to the forward elevators goes right by the cabanas; on the Nieuw Amsterdam the cabanas are on the other side of the ship, so a little less traffic.

I was looking at the deck plans for the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, and did not see the Lido Cabanas, Did they do away with them?

One can hope! The Lido Cabanas were one of the worst design choices HAL has made. That area of the Lido is already narrow and congested and adding the cabanas only makes the only route from the forward elevators to the Lido even more narrow and congested.

Last Sept on the European we had a lido cabana. It was great for Alaska but don't think I would get it for a warm weather cruise. Not enouh air flow for me.

The koningsdam does not have any lido cabanas, only retreat cabanas. The koningsdam does have a bunch of nice couches and beds on the 2nd floor of the lido that feel a bit "cabana like"

What is the difference between the Lido Cabana's and the retreat Cabana's? I know one must pay for the retreat Cabana because I just reserved one for upcoming cruise. Do you have to reserve and pay for the Lido Cabana's?

We were on the K-dam and they had what I would call loungers on a deck above the Lido pool, it was first come, first served. Is this the same thing? This will be our first time on the Eurodam.

The difference is the location. The Lido Cabanas are next to the pool on the Lido deck, they are along the side. The attraction to me is that you are guaranteed a space in the shade, and you are close enough to the pool to jump in when it gets hot. The Retreat cabanas are a deck or 2 up from the pool. They are much quieter, very few people up there.

The Lido cabana's suit my purpose just fine, I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to find lounge chairs with some shade, I don't have to sit elbow to elbow with strangers, and if I leave to get food, I don't have to worry about someone else taking my chair. That is worth the money to me.

Last Sept on the European we had a lido cabana. It was great for Alaska but don't think I would get it for a warm weather cruise. Not enouh air flow for me.

The koningsdam does not have any lido cabanas, only retreat cabanas. The koningsdam does have a bunch of nice couches and beds on the 2nd floor of the lido that feel a bit "cabana like"

Is there shade up there?

Is there shade up there?
Just like the Lido cabanas on other ships, it depends on which way the ship is facing. Usually one side will be shady while the other is sunny.

29sdy1.jpg

Edited by catl331

We have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam 3 times. On 2 of them we rented a regular cabana on the upper deck. It was fine for 2 but we decided if we were to use them on another cruise we would investigate the "family" unit, of which there are two on the ship. We had 3 people on our last cruise and the family unit was just fine and had enough additional room to really make it comfortable for lounging. The stewards who attend the area make sure your happy and keep you supplied with drinks and snacks. They will also bring you food from the Lido upon request. Those who are interested in what the cabana's offer should look at the following web site which describes what they look like and how to arrange for one. Hope this helps.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/tag/cabana-club/

Would it be worth it to get a cabana if sailing to Alaska in September? Would it be too cold?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's a saying that "In Alaska you can have four seasons in a single day." It could be balmy, it could be frigid and windy. We had a beautiful day in mid-Sept in Fairbanks and cold, wet snow the next day. We have no way of knowing the weather or your tolerance for cold. What would be "worth it" to one person would not be to another. Good luck deciding. :D:D

As has been stated in previous replies, the weather in Alaska in Sept. can be unpredictable. A cabana on the upper deck would have some ability to block winds as they are enclosed with either canvas sides or glass windows depending on which cabana you rent. I would say you would get about a 60% usage where the weather is warm enough to enjoy them. That's just my "educated" guess. You might contact Ship Services and see if they will reduce the rental on a cabana for that time of the year. Knowing cruise lines, they would rather have some revenue coming in than not at all.

Yes. For a single day rental, not sure why you would...so many other things going on. For the entire cruise? Yes, if there are any available.

What else is going on on embarkation day, other than the lifeboat drill?

I would probably book it for the whole week so it is nice that the first day is when we board. It would be nice if my handicapped friend would have a place to park his chair and eat without fighting crowds.

We have a great balcony on the same side as the cabanas,so I will perhaps rent one if I can get changed to a cabin on the other side of the ship. That way we would have undisturbed access to scenery on both sides.

I have rented a upper cabana for two cruises, one with a regular cabana and one family unit. As I stated in an earlier reply, I prefer the family unit since you get a lot more room. They are more expensive and since they only have two, they are hard to reserve. I always reserve one when I first make my cruise booking. Even though the Lido cabanas are better protected from wind and rain, they are also subject to being in a noisy and crowded pool area. They also do not have as much of a scenic area to view the ocean as the ones on the upper deck. In all of our two cruises, I did not see many people using the Lido cabanas if at all. I definitely would recommend you only book one for a day rather than the entire trip unless they allow you to cancel other days if you decide you do not like their location.