I Need Your Expert Opinion: Prinsendam, April 2019 or Veendam June 2019

Lady Arwen

We're booked on Prinsendam for the Med in April 2019, but since the new Veendam itineraries have been published, including Venice as an overnight, we're torn between the two. Both are 12 days and very close in price (in Canadian dollars). We've been to the Med in May and the weather was quite nice, however, doing research the weather in the Med in June can be quite hot, which I don't think I'd like and April could be cool and rainy.

Would you choose Prinsendam over Veendam? Would you choose April over June? We've never been to Venice, so that interests us, but is it worth giving up some very unique ports on Prinsendam? If I could just get a little feedback from some of you more experienced travelers, I would be most grateful.

I have sailed on both ships several times, and choosing just on ship, would always take the Prinsendam over the Veendam. It is smaller, and I just feel like I get better service. Everyone on that ship is always willing to go over and above the excellent service levels I get on the other HAL ships.

I love the compactness of the ship, so it is so easy to get from here to there, and back again.

The food seems to be better on the Prinsendam, too. And the original (at least those) cabins are comfortable and quiet, with a walk-in closet.

I, personally, would also rather go in April (late April, if I had a choice) than June. It's easier to put on warmer clothes than to deal with the heat & humidity of the Med.

Unfortunately, rarely is a choice of which cruise to take based on a single, or even two, criteria.

You will have to weigh the value of the different ports, time in each port, as well as the pros & cons of the two ships, and the choices of month.

I would keep the P'dam booking but add a few days in Venice after that cruise! :)
We plan on spending 2-3 days prior to our cruise in either Barcelona or Lisbon, depending on our decision. We would not be able to spend any extrended time in Venice post cruise, as we must return home. The Veendam offered us Venice as an overnight embarkation, which would be lovely and fit into our time constraints. Edited by Lady Arwen
spelling

I have been too Europe in April and overall, it is good weather. You may need to pack and wear layers but it is not really "cold" and can be quite pleasant during the afternoon.

I have been eyeing the P'dam's itineraries in April next year and they are very nice.

I'd rather go in April than June when it is less crowded and not as hot. (and I do like warm weather) but with the exploring etc., April/May make for much better touring weather IMO.

As to the ship, for me, it is the Prinsendam hands down pretty much for the reasons that RuthC has already stated.

One thing as well to keep in mind is that there is no aft/sea view pool on the Veendam. There are hot tubs which can block aft views.

hope this helps and whichever itinerary you decide upon, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I have been too Europe in April and overall, it is good weather. You may need to pack and wear layers but it is not really "cold" and can be quite pleasant during the afternoon.

I have been eyeing the P'dam's itineraries in April next year and they are very nice.

I'd rather go in April than June when it is less crowded and not as hot. (and I do like warm weather) but with the exploring etc., April/May make for much better touring weather IMO.

As to the ship, for me, it is the Prinsendam hands down pretty much for the reasons that RuthC has already stated.

One thing as well to keep in mind is that there is no aft/sea view pool on the Veendam. There are hot tubs which can block aft views.

hope this helps and whichever itinerary you decide upon, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks, Kazu! I think we just needed someone to give us a little reinforcement. We're staying with Prinsendam for all the reasons that you and RuthC offered. Venice will just have to wait!

Spring comes later in Europe than many parts of the US - leaves are only starting to come out on the trees in April. May is by far the better month for northern Mediterranean Europe. Other than that, I would also take the Prinsendam any day over the Veendam if there were a lot of at-sea day. But then I also primarily go for the ports that interest me the most, since ship board time is practically reduced more to sleeping and eating and not much more, when the ports themselves are the primary draw.

I have sailed the Med twice in April on Aegean Odyssey (small ship) and the weather each time was outstanding. Seas were calm, everything looked fresh and -- best of all to me -- it was so uncrowded!

I almost always cruise in the shoulder seasons in the Med for just that reason -- in November and April, the crowds are so significantly reduced that it really increases my pleasure in the trip.

Was the weather warm enough to swim in April? Probably not. But both times it was warm enough to sit outside on the back terrace and eat, even in the evenings.

Imagine: we were in Santorini (which is generally overrun) and we were the ONLY ship there in the morning; later one other ship joined us, in the early afternoon.

(BTW, I did end up booking the Prinsendam itinerary that you are on -- it has intriguing ports that are much less mainstream than the ones on the Veendam Venice itineraries in June. BUT you should also weigh that sailaways into and out of Venice via the Giudecca canal probably have a "sell-by" date that will expire in the not-too-distant future...:eek:)

I have sailed the Med twice in April on Aegean Odyssey (small ship) and the weather each time was outstanding. Seas were calm, everything looked fresh and -- best of all to me -- it was so uncrowded!

I almost always cruise in the shoulder seasons in the Med for just that reason -- in November and April, the crowds are so significantly reduced that it really increases my pleasure in the trip.

Was the weather warm enough to swim in April? Probably not. But both times it was warm enough to sit outside on the back terrace and eat, even in the evenings.

Imagine: we were in Santorini (which is generally overrun) and we were the ONLY ship there in the morning; later one other ship joined us, in the early afternoon.

(BTW, I did end up booking the Prinsendam itinerary that you are on -- it has intriguing ports that are much less mainstream than the ones on the Veendam Venice itineraries in June. BUT you should also weigh that sailaways into and out of Venice via the Giudecca canal probably have a "sell-by" date that will expire in the not-too-distant future...:eek:)

If it is not too nosy and you don't mind me asking, which P'dam cruise did you and Lady Arwen book?

If it is not too nosy and you don't mind me asking, which P'dam cruise did you and Lady Arwen book?
Not nosy at all! We booked April 12-24th embarking from Lisbon. Very nice itinerary and we love Lisbon, so we'll stay there for three days prior to boarding the ship We did consider the alternate 12 day itinerary embarking in Civitavecchia, which does an overnight in Bordeaux. We really have to think about that one, too. Would love to do the full 24 day, but we have to get back home for our two dogs.

Not nosy at all! We booked April 12-24th embarking from Lisbon. Very nice itinerary and we love Lisbon, so we'll stay there for three days prior to boarding the ship We did consider the alternate 12 day itinerary embarking in Civitavecchia, which does an overnight in Bordeaux. We really have to think about that one, too. Would love to do the full 24 day, but we have to get back home for our two dogs.

Lisbon is fabulous. If you like Fado, we went to a fabulous small intimate spot - Senor Fado, it's only open a couple of nights a week but it is run by Fado performers.

They don't like to be rated as a restaurant as the food is inconsequential to them. You go for the music. The food was fabulous ;). And the music was so good, I even bought a CD. (Kazu is not one to buy CD's ;) ).

Darn :(. thought I would get the privilege to meet you and cruisemom but it's the 24th we are looking at. The River cruise and maybe the one after. We have two dogs too, so I totally hear you ;). thankfully, I have a really good spot for them where they are very happy. Marley is spell bound watching the horses and loves to visit them. ;)

Thanks so much. I hope you both have a wonderful cruise :)

Yes, I'm also doing Lisbon to Civitavecchia. Anytime I can end up in Rome, it's a good cruise. ;) I was just in Lisbon for a few days last year so probably will not plan much of a stay on the front end.

I love this cruise for all of its unusual stops: Ceuta, Alghero, Ajaccio, Portoferraio, Ponza (who stops at Ponza???) -- all will be new to me.

:)

Lisbon is fabulous. If you like Fado, we went to a fabulous small intimate spot - Senor Fado, it's only open a couple of nights a week but it is run by Fado performers.

They don't like to be rated as a restaurant as the food is inconsequential to them. You go for the music. The food was fabulous ;). And the music was so good, I even bought a CD. (Kazu is not one to buy CD's ;) ).

Darn :(. thought I would get the privilege to meet you and cruisemom but it's the 24th we are looking at. The River cruise and maybe the one after. We have two dogs too, so I totally hear you ;). thankfully, I have a really good spot for them where they are very happy. Marley is spell bound watching the horses and loves to visit them. ;)

Thanks so much. I hope you both have a wonderful cruise :)

Thank you! We're very excited. After so many cruises, it's so much fun to research places you never dreamed of seeing........thank you Prinsendam! Yes, the pups are our priority, too.

Yes, I'm also doing Lisbon to Civitavecchia. Anytime I can end up in Rome, it's a good cruise. ;) I was just in Lisbon for a few days last year so probably will not plan much of a stay on the front end.

I love this cruise for all of its unusual stops: Ceuta, Alghero, Ajaccio, Portoferraio, Ponza (who stops at Ponza???) -- all will be new to me.

:)

Yes, it's quite wonderful, isn't it! Love all these little known places.....very excited. We love Lisbon and will spend time here prior to the cruise, but will fly straight home from Rome. Do we have a roll call yet? Let's keep connected!

Take care,

Ingrid

Yes, it's quite wonderful, isn't it! Love all these little known places.....very excited. We love Lisbon and will spend time here prior to the cruise, but will fly straight home from Rome. Do we have a roll call yet? Let's keep connected!

Take care,

Ingrid

re: a roll call, I'm not sure. I haven't looked yet. But I will. :D