All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I've been on Explorer several times and can't remember seeing a coffee for purchase type venue. Is there one? The last couple ships I was on had one and I really enjoyed a "good" cup of coffee in the morning.

They sell Starbucks in the promenade cafe near Ben and Jerry's

Steve

Getting off Explorer today- show times were 7:15 and 9:00 every night except first formal.

Also very exciting- yesterday about 6:45 the EOS stopped in the Atlantic to give fuel and supplies to a disabled sail boat. It was very exciting- ill post pics when we get home!

That is what I recall the show times being on AOS +/- 15 minutes do makes it impossible to reserve dining any later than 7:30 for 2nd show (which is what we prefer) or any earlier than 8:45 for first show. Guess that's why all the other times already appear to be taken. Guess we will either keep our reservations and wing it on a daily basis or see what we can do the first night when we can talk to the hostess.

Look forward to the pics.

That is what I recall the show times being on AOS +/- 15 minutes do makes it impossible to reserve dining any later than 7:30 for 2nd show (which is what we prefer) or any earlier than 8:45 for first show. Guess that's why all the other times already appear to be taken. Guess we will either keep our reservations and wing it on a daily basis or see what we can do the first night when we can talk to the hostess.

I have always done a set dinner seating, and now prefer a late seating so I can photograph the sunsets.

I have considered the MyTime idea, but I have decided that the potential for "hassle" is too great.. I don't want to have to think about when I eat dinner every day.. I suppose I could pick a set time for the cruise and it'd happen, ut to me the whole point of MTD is to be able to just go eat when you feel like it... within reason of course... ... so for me the MTD just sounds like something that would require tracking and decision making on a daily basis... worrying about getting a call into the MTD people early enough in the day... having to decide early in the day if you want a table ... any who... all the feedback good and bad has helped me to decide for me that I am sticking with the Late dining... I am not much of a sheep in real life, but on a cruise, when it comes to dinner... I prefer to line up with the rest.. :)

The free coffee is still seattle's best, but if you really need it, you can buy Starbucks..

Steve

Thanks Steve, I actually liked the free coffee in the Promenade Cafe.......it was better than coffee in the MDR or the Windjammer. We would fill our big insulated cups there on our way to breakfast...........LOL I only paid for coffee if I wanted a latte' and it was still Seattle's Best last time we were on the Explorer.

First timer here on the Explorer. Can anyone tell me where the best place to buy a glass of wine would be? I'm so used to Vintages but I didn't see one on the Explorer deck layout.

All help is appreciated. :)

On Explorer, the Champagne Bar will have the best selection of wine.

Is the Cafe Promenade open on embark day? If so, what time?

Just got off of the Explorer and it was open right away. You had your choice of pizza or two different pre-made sandwiches, as well as different coffee cakes and cookies. Also, to drink there was iced tea, lemonade, coffee and hot tea. The Coke Freestyle machines were nearby, right next to Ben & Jerrys.

Edited by SNJCruisers

While we have to wait for Explorer to get a face lift, there are many interesting changes over the last year+

:D The new Coke-aholic machines have been installed, and are hit with those that go down the sugar/caffeine highway ......

:D According to an email reply I received last month, there will be a new golf simulator on board sometime this month.

:D Reports on here indicate that the new menu's will be rolled out on Explorer in October (so by the time I board in December that should be well ironed out!)

:D "some" cabins have newer flat screens...

:D The Beer selection in the "pub" was increased earlier this year from 25 to 40 varieties.

did I miss anything???

Edited by JJSMaine

We are going on the Explorer on Oct. 7th. I just got around to booking My Time Dining and terrible choices are left. I ended up booking 7:45 which is probably too late to make the show. We were hoping for 7pm. Are there any opportunities after we board to change these times to 7PM or are we locked in now?

Another question, we have a car service picking us up in Bayonne. I told them to come at 9:30AM. Is that a good time or is it too late?

Also, what is earliest time you can board the Explorer in Bayonne?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

We are going on the Explorer on Oct. 7th. I just got around to booking My Time Dining and terrible choices are left. I ended up booking 7:45 which is probably too late to make the show. We were hoping for 7pm. Are there any opportunities after we board to change these times to 7PM or are we locked in now?

Another question, we have a car service picking us up in Bayonne. I told them to come at 9:30AM. Is that a good time or is it too late?

It is possible you may be able to change the time of your dinner but I'd go first thing when you board the ship. Just go to the dining room and there will be someone there to help with changes and they will do their best to accommodate you. Also, you may want to call Royal Caribbean and see if you can be put on a waiting list for a certain dinner time, so if someone cancels or changes their time you will move up in the list. I know they have this for the regular dining (not sure about MTD).

I don't think 9:30am is too late for the car service to pick you up. If you sign up for express departure like I did I was off the ship by about 8:15am; however, some people even with express departure get off later than that. If you want to be sure to be off the ship by 9:30am I'd go to guest relations ASAP and request express departure so you are put into the first group of people off.

I am pretty sure the earliest time people can board is 11am or 12 NOON, but sometimes it can be earlier or later depending on if all the departing people have left and the ship is cleared. I arrived early as did a lot of other people and you just sit in a waiting room with coffee, juice and cookies so it isn't too bad. Better to be early than late!

Edited by PinkLemonade

Having just gotten off of the Explorer, I can tell you that the show times were 715 for late seating and 900 for early seating and 1030 the few times that there was only 1 show. If you eat at 745, you're not going to make either show. We did not get off of the ship and clear customs till 1045. You had better get express departure at guest services, otherwise, you'll be paying the car service wait time and that is expensive.

Having just gotten off of the Explorer, I can tell you that the show times were 715 for late seating and 900 for early seating and 1030 the few times that there was only 1 show. If you eat at 745, you're not going to make either show. We did not get off of the ship and clear customs till 1045. You had better get express departure at guest services, otherwise, you'll be paying the car service wait time and that is expensive.

That is a bummer for us. We did get 6:30 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday but the other nights are 7:45. I am hoping to change the dinner reservations when we board the ship. Do you know which nights there was only 1 show? We enjoy the shows and will be disappointed if we don't get to see them. How long are the shows? Maybe we can change the 7:45 to later.

Thanks also for advice on Express Departure.

For all those that will be sailing the Explorer on the 7 day Bermuda cruise remember that this a new itinerary. They have not sailed this in the past and it is possible many things will change. They will be docked for two nights so show times may be different (only one show?) ice show at night?.

The Sept 9Th cruise was the first 7 night so we will have to hear from them to get the updated info.

Dick