Celebrity Dining Room Attire

So I am trying to pack for my cruise that leaves in a week and I am trying to pack clothes for dinner. I know in the past Celebrity didn't want people wearing jeans to dinner, but now I can't find if they are allowed or not. I am not talking about baggie, ripped, or dirty jeans. I have some nice ones that can be dressed up and look very nice. Does anyone know if jeans are allowed at dinner? The celebrity website says "smart casual" so are nice jeans considered "smart casual"?

Thanks for your help! :D

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000NjQ1ssSEjuKudNg-yJCTjnQ:12h3rnd1c?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

dotted_line.gifspacer.gifEvening Dress Codes

Cruise lengthSmart Casual and AboveFormal4-night315-night416-night517-night528-night629-night7210-night8211-night9212-night9313-night10314-night11315-night123

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks spacer.gifBefore Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. spacer.gifRenting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit Cruiseline Formalwear spacer.gifFormal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include activities such as the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner and the Captain's Farewell Dinner. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The schedule above outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy on your cruise.

It's a real dichotomy here. One place on their website they don't specifically say no jeans, but the daily does say no jeans in the dining room after six. Personally I think that jeans aren't really the best idea for those lovely dining rooms.

I am going to assume you are not talking about formal nights for the sake of this discussion.

On the other nights, on my recent cruise, there were definitely people in jeans. They were not worn or tattered, no holes, etc. In the Infinity dailies, there was no mention of jeans when dress code was discussed, just no pants, with holes or tears for "smart casual" nights.

When you look up dress code on the Celebrity website, it states:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Hope this helps.

We sailed Solstice Spring 2010. A couple evenings we saw men allowed in DR with

messy jeans and shirt tails out.

Upon returning home I wrote Celebrity about dress code in DR for evening.

I received an email from Celebrity that I will share just a sentence.

"Our dress policy typically allows jeans to be worn during Breakfast and Lunch services, not Dinner service."

Hope this helps.

I am going to assume you are not talking about formal nights for the sake of this discussion.

On the other nights, on my recent cruise, there were definitely people in jeans. They were not worn or tattered, no holes, etc. In the Infinity dailies, there was no mention of jeans when dress code was discussed, just no pants, with holes or tears for "smart casual" nights.

When you look up dress code on the Celebrity website, it states:

Smart Casual and Above

Hope this helps.

The above poster only posted part of the "PROPER DINING ATTIRE" guidelines from the Celebrity website (found under ONBOARD EXPERIENCE >> DINING >> PROPER DINING ATTIRE).

I have reprinted the guidelines below, including the text in red (my emphasis) that indicates that jeans are not allowed in the dining room after 6:00 pm:

Smart Casual and Above

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, Cruiseline Formalwear

Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include activities such as the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner and the Captain's Farewell Dinner. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The schedule above outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy on your cruise.

I hope this helps you to know what Celebrity's expressed position is regarding jeans in the main dining room. Have a great cruise!

The above poster only posted part of the "PROPER DINING ATTIRE" guidelines from the Celebrity website (found under ONBOARD EXPERIENCE >> DINING >> PROPER DINING ATTIRE).

I posted what I found on the website when I searched dress codes. That is what I would do when I want to know what the dress code is. What I posted was the result.

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I will stick to jeans for breakfast and lunch and bring skirts and dress pants for dinner. No need to feel uncomfortable for bringing the wrong clothes :)

The dress code is often overlooked by maitre'd. As I stated we saw men with messy jeans

with shirt tails out, also young girls in shorts being allowed in MD for evening dinner.

I ask maitre'd while he allowed them in MR and his reply was it was allowed.

That is the reason I wrote Celebrity to find out what is allowed in MD for evening.

Celebrity stated:

"Our dress policy typically allows jeans to be worn during Breakfast and Lunch services, not Dinner service."

Guess Celebrity forgot to inform maitre'd of the dress code for dinner.

You know, it really aggravates me that Celebrity causes this to be an issue since the website gives different information depending on where you look. You would think they could figure this out.

Is anybody out there listening????:(:(:(

You know, it really aggravates me that Celebrity causes this to be an issue since the website gives different information depending on where you look. You would think they could figure this out.

Is anybody out there listening????:(:(:(

Agreed.

Hey, here we go again. Who's making popcorn?!? :D:p:D

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I will stick to jeans for breakfast and lunch and bring skirts and dress pants for dinner. No need to feel uncomfortable for bringing the wrong clothes :)

How dare you downgrade our MDR with dress pants. We have a place for people like you, its called steerage, and while you there, a member of the Gestapo SS will pay you a visit to improve your attitude on the proper way to dress while on our ship. LOL

Wear what makes you feel comfortable and forget the purist, no service personnel or MDs will say a word to you except, "Don't miss a meal" This is one of several instances where X talk through both sides of it mouth.

You could go to Walmart and buy a $12 Dickie's kakhi and meet the purist dress code, but fail with $100 jeans. Go figure!

I have just done my first Celebrity Cruise on Eclipse, having done my first on RC last year, and I expected everyone (well mostly the ladies), to be wearing diamond tiaras and full evening suit attire for the men after reading this forum for the last year. If not you were either shot at dawn or made to walk the plank.

The reality was completely different. I thought the dress code on the Eclipse was less adhered to than on the Brilliance last year by a very large margin. Lots of jeans and t-shirts to be seen in the MDR even on formal nights. Of course there were also lots of very well presented cruisers also just not a very large majority as I had seen before.

I have just done my first Celebrity Cruise on Eclipse, having done my first on RC last year, and I expected everyone (well mostly the ladies), to be wearing diamond tiaras and full evening suit attire for the men after reading this forum for the last year. If not you were either shot at dawn or made to walk the plank.

The reality was completely different. I thought the dress code on the Eclipse was less adhered to than on the Brilliance last year by a very large margin. Lots of jeans and t-shirts to be seen in the MDR even on formal nights. Of course there were also lots of very well presented cruisers also just not a very large majority as I had seen before.

REALLY? On formal night? :eek: That I find VERY hard to believe.

I know the new ships are drawing new- to- Celebrity cruisers who seem to be trying to very gradually "adjust" the dress code that most X cruisers didn't mind. But if I saw the maitre d's were allowing tshirts on formal nights, then I would really have a problem. Maybe not with the new cruiser as much as Celebrity and its "silent" dress code policy.

In Feb on Solstice we DID see men turned away...advised to make some adjustments in their wardrobe. Why the inconsistency? :rolleyes:

I think there is some exaggeration going on here - jeans & t-shirts in the MDR on formal nights? I don't think so

Tis true I tell ya.

Seriously, we only noticed because having read so much on this forum about Celebrity we expected the dress code to be so much higher.

Jeans were very much more prevailant on smart casual nights as were round neck T Shirts but we did also see more than one case on each formal night.

It didn't bother me, it was just an observation, but completely conflicted with our idea of what the cruise would be like from reading on here. We were speaking to other cruisers who said that if they had turned up dressed as they were on Princess they would have been turned away, I wouldn't know if that's the case or not.

So there you go, hopefully someone else on the 24 July Cruise to the Baltics will back me up just in case I was hallucinating after the flights of fancy in the Martini bar

On the Century in May, we saw a diner in jeans and a t-shirt. It was a teenager with adults whom I assume were his parents. The adults were appropriately dressed. Go figure!

My guess, having raised teenagers, was that the parents were in "pick your battle" mode. ;)

This is not really an excuse, but I do understand how, sometimes, that's what things come down to. :D

Tis true I tell ya.

Seriously, we only noticed because having read so much on this forum about Celebrity we expected the dress code to be so much higher.

Jeans were very much more prevailant on smart casual nights as were round neck T Shirts but we did also see more than one case on each formal night.

It didn't bother me, it was just an observation, but completely conflicted with our idea of what the cruise would be like from reading on here. We were speaking to other cruisers who said that if they had turned up dressed as they were on Princess they would have been turned away, I wouldn't know if that's the case or not.

So there you go, hopefully someone else on the 24 July Cruise to the Baltics will back me up just in case I was hallucinating after the flights of fancy in the Martini bar

We observed the same thing on the May 7 Eclipse Baltic cruise, so Rool is not exaggerating. Yes, there were lot of people in suits, sport coats, and tuxes, kilts, etc., but at least in our section of the MDR, there were jeans on formal nights. More on smart casual nights. This was a very diverse cruise with a lot of cultures present and maybe that is why no one enforced the dress code. Who knows?

I would like to address this message to (and ask for replies from) the men and women here who prefer to witness proper "observance" of the published Celebrity dress code for men on "formal" nights, which is ...

Formal -- Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

The truth is that, because of a health condition that can result in hyperthermia (overheating), I am not able to wear the above kind of clothing throughout dinner and yet still enjoy the meal. Therefore, I wish to ask if anyone reading this would be offended if they were to see me doing the following on Celebrity formal nights:

-- Wearing, into the dining room, dress slacks, a short-sleeved dress shirt, and a sport jacket, but with no necktie.

-- Removing the jacket and hanging it on the back of my chair (preferably immediately after reaching the table, but no later than when discomfort begins).

I suppose that I should ask not only whether you would be offended at seeing this, but also whether dining room staff would frown upon, or even prohibit, my doing this.

Thanks, in advance, for your understanding replies.

You are definitely going to get two sets of opinions.

For me, your outfit is perfectly suitable. Others will disagree, but you asked for opinions.

As far as being prohibited from wearing that in the dining room, there are no guarantees, so I would throw a tie in your suitcase, just in case. However, on our last few cruises, we have seen many people that don't even have a sportcoat on during formal night, so I doubt you would be turned away.

Lots of men wear dark sportcoats in place of a suit. MOST wear ties, as expected. I doubt you would get any flack from anyone.

It's the tshirts and jeans that are the root of the discussion.

Tis true I tell ya.

"More than one case" isn't really "lots" as you originally said. :rolleyes: So.. I guess I can breathe easier. Phew! I hate to see the formal night's atmosphere changed to "anything goes" night."

T-shirts aren't even supposed to be considered on casual night. :confused:What's so hard to slip on a golf/polo shirt for dinner in a nice restaurant? Wear the tshirts during the day. But...that's just us. We wouldn't wear them at home in a restaurant. I won't argue with anyone who thinks differently.

Some dark fitted jeans look very nice with a pretty top or jacket and heels for the women or nice sport shirt for the men. It's the faded, BAGGY FIT, or torn jeans that make for a sloppy look, not smart casual.

I think the majority of Celebrity cruisers will keep to the more upscale/put together look the cruiseline is intending. Time will tell.

Celebrity still puts on a great cruise experience.:)

Lots of men wear dark sportcoats in place of a suit. MOST wear ties, as expected. I doubt you would get any flack from anyone. ...

Thank you, "eandj" and others, for your replies.

You did catch me off guard, however, by stating this:

"MOST wear ties, as expected."

Here again is what the Celebrity dress code is for men on "formal" nights:

Formal -- Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Notice, please, that a tie is not mentioned, meaning that one is not required and therefore not "expected" by the cruise line. I can understand, however, that it may be "expected" (as traditional) by some passengers.

I probably should not have even mentioned that I would not be wearing a tie, since "X" does not expect me to wear one. I will not be packing a tie, "Peteymil," since it alone can cause my hyperthermia, even without a jacket.

Common sense would dictate that if you have a medical problem it is a unique situation and would be respected.

Almost everyone knows what the word "formal" means and Celebrity makes it clear what they expect. Most people are polite enough to know that the word "requested" means it's what is expected. Tuxes, suits and dinner jackets are worn with ties or occasionally with one of the formal button type shirts that were in fashion a few years ago. The problem lately seems to be that some men don't know what a dinner jacket is so more are showing up in sport coats.

There will always be a few people who show up not dressed according to what is "requested". Sometimes they are admitted and sometimes they are not. They do look a bit out of place, but if it doesn't bother them, there's not much to be said. No one is going to confront them.

There are always going to be a few who also come to these boards pointing out the person they saw on their cruise who was dressed inappropriately. I don't quite understand what the point is, is it to encourage others to do the same?

One thing is for sure "most" people know what to do and those who don't or choose not to comply will just stand out and be a very small percentage of cruisers. In other words, it's not important.

Each cruise has it's own ambience and the percentage of tuxes to suits varies considerably.

Archived