Fans Confiscated

cruisinmon

Just back from 6 day on Enchantment out of Baltimore. Was told they were holding one piece of luggage in the naughty room, so I thought it might be the 8 pack of Pepsi or 12 pack of water, but no they took both of our fans! This was a first out of 1o cruises on Royal. Anybody else have this experience lately? When we got off the ship they had fans of every variety small, plastic etc. about 30-40 of them not to mention the 10-15 irons LOL. We really missed the noise and the air circulation, hope we dont have an issue on Liberty in November

I think that there is a proliferation of incredibly poorly made extremely cheap fans that may pose a fire risk if the motors were to heat up due to continuous use or perhaps where the motor has a partial fail so that is still heats up to where it may catch fire or induce material around it to catch fire. With the placement of the outlets on ships the fans are always going to be next to combustible material.

The best solution has already been tendered and that is battery powered fans.

I agree with what others posted about the fire concerns of poorly made fans and other motor driven devices people use. I'm surprised they allow personal hair dryers, but they are not in constant use and are generally disconnected or turned off after use.

I've heard of a lot of people who travel with A fan but 2? I suppose it was for 2 cabins.

We were on that cruise also. The people in line ahead of us going through security had a small fan removed from their carry-on. The woman questioned it, then told her husband that she had been told the fan would be taken on board for her and given to her then. I think there may have been a misunderstanding or interpretation issue involved.

As we returned to our cabin after dinner on day 3 or so, our room steward stopped us to say that he had found a wet spot on the carpeting just outside the bathroom and had a blower directed on the area. He told us to turn it off while we were in the cabin, but we found the cabin to be warmer than we prefer, so we turned the blower on low and directed it over the bed that night. Very nice, and now I understand why people take their own fans.

Just back from 6 day on Enchantment out of Baltimore. Was told they were holding one piece of luggage in the naughty room, so I thought it might be the 8 pack of Pepsi or 12 pack of water, but no they took both of our fans! This was a first out of 1o cruises on Royal. Anybody else have this experience lately? When we got off the ship they had fans of every variety small, plastic etc. about 30-40 of them not to mention the 10-15 irons LOL. We really missed the noise and the air circulation, hope we dont have an issue on Liberty in November

If you have an iphone there is an app called whitenoise that is free. It has several noises such as a fan on it. I have it downloaded so that I can have my fan noise!

We took 2 battery operated fans on Carnival 2 weeks ago and they didnt take them...

I would be devastated if they took my fan. It is my version of a "woobie". I have brought it on every cruise I have been on, including with Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I need it to sleep, and take it everywhere!

My little black fan has been all through the U.S. plus:

Canada

Puerto Rico

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Mexico

Honduras

Belize

Jamaica

Grand Caymans

India

I hope they don't take it from me in April when I board the Mariner of the Seas :)

I will die without my fan, we are leaving in about a month, i cannot sleep without one, i need the circulation of air and noise and yes hot flashes, wonder if i can hide my straightner somewhere my hair will frizz what are we supposed to do

We just returned from Monarch on September 10. Carried our fan and had no issues. It was in our carry-on (where it always travels).

Knock on wood we don't have an issue in November.

I am curious if this could be port specific? Much like we heard a lot of issues for folks leaving out of New Orleans last year with bottled water having trouble. Although the Florida ports do not seem to have the same issues.

One of the most frustrating things about a cruise experience is when you are not provided information that is critical to the choices you make and your behavior while on the cruise.

It's one thing to provide a list of things that will not be allowed, but to arbitrarily and even more importantly, inconsistently declare and enforce what is allowed and what is not allowed is exceedingly frustrating.

The cruise line really must address this issue.

Theron

PS: Enchantment just switched captains for the normal 10 week rotation last week, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I will die without my fan, we are leaving in about a month, i cannot sleep without one, i need the circulation of air and noise and yes hot flashes, wonder if i can hide my straightner somewhere my hair will frizz what are we supposed to do

No problem with the hair straightener. You can take one. I would quit cruising if they took mine! :eek:

Archived