irons on board disovery 2

Thomson (Marella) recently posted on fb that travel irons are now allowed! It is apparently also in the new brochure small print.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is true. Under 'prohibited items ,' there is a link to a tui list for cruise items.

It states

'Personal items such as hair dryers, travel irons, curling irons, hair straighteners, and shavers are permitted when used with proper caution'

It goes on to say however that if the item is considered a hazard it will be removed and returned at the end of the cruise.

What constitutes a " Travel iron?" We have a cheap normal sized iron that we take on holiday, would this be OK?

Good question.

The TUI prohibited list says flat irons are not allowed but travel irons are. I assume travel irons are smaller with a folding handle, and in a box or pouch that says travel iron!!:D

If you can be proved to be negligent it will be your fault.

this is from the marella site

30. Liability for damage Passenger's liability

The Passenger shall be liable for and shall reimburse the Carrier for any damage to the Vessel and/or its furnishings or equipment or any other property of the Carrier caused by any act or omission by the Passenger or any person for whom the Passenger is responsible, including, but not limited to, Children travelling with the Passenger.

So leaving the iron switched on is an act by you and your not having your wiring checked before boarding is an omission by you, their lawyers will argue

ps- could not find any reference to irons on their web site

Page 195 of the new brochure - Prohibited items gives a link to luggage guidelines which, under the cruise section, gives a comprehensive list of the prohibited items and the items which are excluded from the list (it downloads as a off).

The travel irons are stated as a permitted item, but may be confiscated if considered to constitute a hazard.

Page 195 of the new brochure - Prohibited items gives a link to luggage guidelines which, under the cruise section, gives a comprehensive list of the prohibited items and the items which are excluded from the list (it downloads as a off).

The travel irons are stated as a permitted item, but may be confiscated if considered to constitute a hazard.

Eh! :confused::confused::confused:

is the new brochure online?

People can leave appliances on

My friends had friends visiting quite a few years ago now and the visiting wife left her curling tongs on the bed still on They went out for the evening and when they got back the house was completely burnt out and had to be demolished so think what would happen in a cabin - devastation

I should point out they had no fire alarm and being a Saturday night all the neighbours were out too so the fire was well established before the fire brigade were rung, which of course wouldn't happen on the ship. I can fully understand the caution though

I found these extracts ***** the Marella site

20 Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.6,7

6 Except when approved by the Company’s marine safety group.

7 Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, travel irons, curling irons, hair straighteners and shavers are permitted when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on the last day of the cruise prior to disembarkation.

so what is the difference between a flat iron and a travel iron?

Eh! :confused::confused::confused:

is the new brochure online?

Picked up the new brochure today from TA😀

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

I found these extracts ***** the Marella site

20 Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.6,7

6 Except when approved by the Company’s marine safety group.

7 Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, travel irons, curling irons, hair straighteners and shavers are permitted when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on the last day of the cruise prior to disembarkation.

so what is the difference between a flat iron and a travel iron?

That was my point in post 10.

Flat iron is a normal household iron Travel iron as said before is a much smaller flat iron with a foldable handle and does not usually get as hot (especially in a Thomson cabin) and quite honestly it takes longer to iron a garment with it

In September they would not allow anyone onboard with a Samsung phone because of the fire risk think it was the Galaxy.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

What ship was that Pensioncruiser? We were on Dream in September and no-one checked what phones we had. We had Samsung Galaxys with us.

I do wish new builds had laundrettes. It's such a boon on Celebration and Spirit

Yes they're dead handy, in particular on those "At Sea" days. Last years Carib cruise on the Azura (built 2010) had laundrettes on most decks, although sometimes there ca be a bit of a queue.

No (free) laundry means we pack extra t'shirts and smalls, so we've invested in those 18" x 23" vacuum bags from Poundland. They can reduce the volume of t'shirts by about 40% and last year the ship's cabin staff were happy to loan their vac cleaner for the return trip.

Looking forward to the two-week Caribbean cruise starting on Dec 12th. Incidentally Disco2 started life as Royal Carabbean's Legend of the Seas, 21 years ago, see Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUI_Discovery_II and boasted a minigolf course - perhaps they deemed laundrettes to be 'too sexist' :D