Seward to Matanuska - stop in Girdwood, Anchorage or straight through?

kscaf1

Our plan was to do some tours in Seward, take the 6:00 bus to Anchorage, stay over night, pick up the rental car the next morning and head to Matanuska where we are booked at the Homestead Cabins.

I could not find a rental car in Seward that could be returned to a different location(tried online, email and a phone call), so booked the car in Anchorage for the next day and planned travels and activities from there. I have been told that is it possible to rent a car from Seward and drop it off at another location so that will be my goal for tomorrow. In the meantime, I am looking at that options that we may now have.

Plan A was - bus to Anchorage

Plan B - rental car from Seward and drive (stopping to enjoy) to Glacier Falls booking an additional night in their cabins. We would get there fairly late but have an easier start to our glacier float and glacier treks the following day.

or Plan C - rental car from Seward and drive to Girdwood. I found some adorable airbnb's there that would break up the drive, allowing us to enjoy more scenery on the first day but may make it rushed to get to the float and trek

Plan D could be same as plan C but only do the glacier trek upon arriving at Matanuska and do the glacier float the next day as we are heading out towards Denali.

Of course, Plan B, C & D are only options if the car rental in Seward works out. We will be ending in Fairbanks and know that the cost of one way rentals are higher than round trip.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Our plan was to do some tours in Seward, take the 6:00 bus to Anchorage, stay over night, pick up the rental car the next morning and head to Matanuska where we are booked at the Homestead Cabins.

I could not find a rental car in Seward that could be returned to a different location(tried online, email and a phone call), so booked the car in Anchorage for the next day and planned travels and activities from there. I have been told that is it possible to rent a car from Seward and drop it off at another location so that will be my goal for tomorrow. In the meantime, I am looking at that options that we may now have.

Plan A was - bus to Anchorage

Plan B - rental car from Seward and drive (stopping to enjoy) to Glacier Falls booking an additional night in their cabins. We would get there fairly late but have an easier start to our glacier float and glacier treks the following day.

or Plan C - rental car from Seward and drive to Girdwood. I found some adorable airbnb's there that would break up the drive, allowing us to enjoy more scenery on the first day but may make it rushed to get to the float and trek

Plan D could be same as plan C but only do the glacier trek upon arriving at Matanuska and do the glacier float the next day as we are heading out towards Denali.

Of course, Plan B, C & D are only options if the car rental in Seward works out. We will be ending in Fairbanks and know that the cost of one way rentals are higher than round trip.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I posted a plan that includes steps similar to yours a few days ago. We plan on renting a car in Seward for less than 24 hours and leave Seward early to drive to Matanuska with stops along the way including a stop in Anchorage to switch rental cars at the airport. I already have the cars reserved, so know you can do a one-way rental.

And we plan on staying near Matanuska and doing the trek the next morning.

Matanuska is not a town; it appears you are referring to cabins near the Matanuska Glacier which is around 2 hours from Anchorage on the Glenn Highway.

Actually before the Matanuska Colony Experiment built the town of Palmer, there was a town called Matanuska. It sat near where the Parks Highway & Glenn Highway intersect today and in it's heyday was the center of commerce in the Valley.

This, of course, is random worthless trivia... And for those looking for travel info, the area around the Matanuska Glacier is often refereed to as "Glacierview". Still not an official town or anything, but I believe that's how Google Maps finds it.

I think we have decided on the GoldStar Dome evening train to Anchorage. We can do our Kenai Fjords tour (still deciding between 6 hours or 9) and if we do shorter one, can also visit Exit Glacier and still get the train. I was leaning towards renting a car one way and driving but others in our group want to do the train! I am looking forward to either one!

We will pick up our car the next morning and head to Matanuska Glacier and Homestead Cabins.

I think we have decided on the GoldStar Dome evening train to Anchorage. We can do our Kenai Fjords tour (still deciding between 6 hours or 9) and if we do shorter one, can also visit Exit Glacier and still get the train. I was leaning towards renting a car one way and driving but others in our group want to do the train! I am looking forward to either one!

We will pick up our car the next morning and head to Matanuska Glacier and Homestead Cabins.

I'd suggest an overnight in Seward. It isn't ideal to plan on a Kenai Fjords boat tour and Exit Glacier visit in the same day. I also wouldn't hesitate to drive back to Whittier, Girdwood etc from Anchorage. One of the most scenic drives in Alaska. Plenty of options to consider. Don't just get caught up in the "usual". :)

• 2 weeks later...

and on the way up from Seward, if you rent a car, you can go down on the road to Whittier, but do not go through the tunnel. Take the signs towards Portage lake, find the parking lot for the Byron Glacier and you can walk on the glacier for free. It is a different experience, but a great one none the less. :)