Wine packages

lawolfe

Hi there. We are doing our first cruise ever on Sept 24, 2006. It is the 11 day repositioning cruise to Hawaii. We received our cruise docs and it mentions the wine and dine package. Has anyone ever used this? Is it worth the cost and exactly what is that cost? This is our honeymoon and we may be inclined to drink a bottle or two of wine;)

Thanks

We purchased a Wine and Dine package last December on NOS. We usually do this when we cruise on RCL ships.

Last year, there were 3 packages to choose from:

The Diamond Pkg. 5 bottles for $137; 7 bottles for $189; 10 bottles for $274 and 12 bottles for $329

The Platinum Pkg. 5 bottles $125; 7 bottles for $173; 10 bottles for $250; 12 bottles for $299

The Gold Pkg. 5 bottles $113; 7 bottles for $158; 10 bottles for $226; 12 bottles for $273.

(Note that these prices are from December 2005 cruise - and the prices do NOT reflect the 15% gratuity that will be charged to your room account.)

Of course the more expensive the package - the more diverse the selection of wines.

We purchase the "Wine and Dine" pkg. immediately upon boarding the ship. Then, each evening a wine menu with the wines in the specific pkg. you selected will be on your dinner table.

Think we have in the past always selected the middle of the road - package and selected 7 bottles. Any wine left over from dinner will be corked and held for the next night if you like. I do believe we were unable to consume all 7 bottles with dinner last December and were allowed to bring (or perhaps they delivered) the bottles to our cabin. Can't remember - just know we weren't able to consume all of it in the dining room.

It's a pretty good deal I guess. I'm not a judge of great, expensive wines - but I do know what I like and there were plenty of choices each evening.

Hope you enjoy. We surely do enjoy wine while cruising. And happy honeymoon!

Sharon

(Pooh Bear)

....because I'd never get my DH to spring for a bottle of wine several evenings of a cruise - however, if I stop by the set-up table upon boarding and make like we're getting a great bargain - he's none the worse for the wear! And I'm assured I get my wine without an argument from him.

What ever floats your boat. Prepaying makes me happy and he doesn't stop to do the math so he's happy - we just boarded the ship and are ready to start enjoying everything - including the wine.

I would think you could since the corkage fee and gratuity is already in the price you've paid for the wine. I do believe we may have taken a partial bottle as well as a bottle or two we didn't drink in the dining room to our cabin with no problem.

The end of cruise holding of wines/spirits most usually refers to wines and spirits purchased on shore during excursions - or spirits purchased in the store on the ship - most usually when you purchase alcohol on the ship in their "store", they will send it to the hold until the last night of the cruise. However, I've heard that for an additional price you can have it delivered to your cabin. We always purchase a couple of bottles of spirits (wine is not available, I don't think) in the ship's liquor store as the price is very good compared to here in Ohio. They will "hold" the purchase until the last night of the cruise then it will be delivered to our cabin for us to carry home.

The wine you order at dinner or thru the wine and dine package includes the corkage fee in the price - so my reasoning is: it's yours - you paid for it - if you can't drink it all while in the dining room - you should be able to enjoy it in your cabin.

this question pops up alot. Here 's a pointer to the last time:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=403442

Lot's of good details in there. If you ever want to search for info, login then use the search function on the top tool bar. You can search by topic or content or by user name.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived