Jewel Greek Isles itinerary - question about fixed dining when in Santorini

I was reading a recent Jewel review of the Greek Isles itinerary out of Civitavecchia. It mentioned that they didn't have fixed dining the day they were in Santorini because of how late the ship was in port. Unfortunately it didn't go into details. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this, knows what happens, can provide any insights?

TIA

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but from my understanding a lot of cruisers have dinner in Santorini, while watching the sunset. Then catch the tender back to the ship.

My question if you have to be on the ship by 10pm, what would be the last tender? We want don't want to have to rush through dinner and worry about missing the tender. What sailing are you on? We are on Aug. 12th.

I was reading a recent Jewel review of the Greek Isles itinerary out of Civitavecchia. It mentioned that they didn't have fixed dining the day they were in Santorini because of how late the ship was in port. Unfortunately it didn't go into details. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this, knows what happens, can provide any insights?

TIA

When I’m home later I’ll pull up my compass for that day from last years Jewel sailing.

Or if you want, expand my signature below, click on Jewel review, and search for Santorini ... I normally posted the compasses at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but from my understanding a lot of cruisers have dinner in Santorini, while watching the sunset. Then catch the tender back to the ship.

My question if you have to be on the ship by 10pm, what would be the last tender? We want don't want to have to rush through dinner and worry about missing the tender. What sailing are you on? We are on Aug. 12th.

I had dinner with sunset in Fira on the cliff, unforgettable memory. All Aboard is 9:30. The tender is fast about 5-6 minutes. You have to know how to get to the tram through the the maze of streets in order to get down on time.

When I’m home later I’ll pull up my compass for that day from last years Jewel sailing.

Or if you want, expand my signature below, click on Jewel review, and search for Santorini ... I normally posted the compasses at the end of the day

Thanks Hoopster, we're doing this cruise next year and this info is most helpful.

According to the compass, both 1st & 2nd seating in MDR as usual...

DSC01089_zpsljge6bgi.jpg

I had dinner with sunset in Fira on the cliff, unforgettable memory. All Aboard is 9:30. The tender is fast about 5-6 minutes. You have to know how to get to the tram through the the maze of streets in order to get down on time.

Last tender is 9:00pm per the compass.

I certainly don't want anyone to be confused with what I wrote above.

DSC01091_zpssmuuhnqy.jpg

bacci65 & voyager70.... here's dinner on the Cliffs in Santorini... I'll never forget this.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54123257&highlight=santorini#post54123257

Not everyone gets off the ship or would be off the ship for dinner so they would absolutely feed those people at their assigned times. The dining room may be less crowded than usual but I can't remember them ever doing away with both dinner services completely for a night, no matter where in the world the ship was docked (or tendered).

OP, can you provide a link to the review that stated this? I'd like to see that for myself. Please help us with the link to the review you read - there are quite a few to get through if it is among the member reviews for this site.

EDITED TO ADD: OP, I read a few of the reviews and if it was the one at the link I will provide, I can understand why you might be confused. It states:

"Every night, except for the night of Santorini, we ate in the Main Dining Room - Tides." ....

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=626637

Was that the one?

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Holy moly, those pictures are breathtaking!

I'll be there in April and will seek out Volcano Blue, for sure. Not certain if I'll do the sunset thing, though. :)

Holy moly, those pictures are breathtaking!

I'll be there in April and will seek out Volcano Blue, for sure. Not certain if I'll do the sunset thing, though. :)

Hey Carol! great to hear from you. How's the fam?

Ah, you're on Jewel next year..., the 11 or 9 day itinerary? Looks like sunset in April is much like Sept... between 7:40pm-8:05pm depending on early vs. late April.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/greece/santorini?month=4&year=2019

That's also the sunset time we had on my review... we timed dinner so that we'd have desert/final glass of wine right at sunset, and about 5min after it went down we were out and walking back to the gondola so we could get down to the tender before 9pm.

Last tender is 9:00pm per the compass.

I certainly don't want anyone to be confused with what I wrote above.

DSC01091_zpssmuuhnqy.jpg

bacci65 & voyager70.... here's dinner on the Cliffs in Santorini... I'll never forget this.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54123257&highlight=santorini#post54123257

Thank you for the info Hoopster! I made dinner reservations for 7:30, but now knowing that the last tender is at 9, may have to make dinner a little earlier.

Not everyone gets off the ship or would be off the ship for dinner so they would absolutely feed those people at their assigned times. The dining room may be less crowded than usual but I can't remember them ever doing away with both dinner services completely for a night, no matter where in the world the ship was docked (or tendered).

OP, can you provide a link to the review that stated this? I'd like to see that for myself. Please help us with the link to the review you read - there are quite a few to get through if it is among the member reviews for this site.

EDITED TO ADD: OP, I read a few of the reviews and if it was the one at the link I will provide, I can understand why you might be confused. It states:

"Every night, except for the night of Santorini, we ate in the Main Dining Room - Tides." ....

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=626637

Was that the one?

Hi,

Thanks for looking it up - but unfortunately that wasn't the one. I searched some more and while I recognized some of the reviews I couldn't find the one that referenced open dining in Santorini :(

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I searched and couldn't find the review that mentioned it, so maybe it was a figment of my imagination or I was being too selective in the reviews I was double checking. I've got a year until my cruise (end of June 2019), so it might be a moot point by then. Just thought I'd ask now since my cruise is relatively early next year there might not be enough cruises on that itinerary to find out.

Thanks again everyone!!

...Thanks for looking it up - but unfortunately that wasn't the one. I searched some more and while I recognized some of the reviews I couldn't find the one that referenced open dining in Santorini :(

Hmm, well, not sure but I feel confident you will have both dining times plus MTD (whichever is your assignment - you can't mix and match them on various nights) plus the Windjammer buffet available for your day/evening in Santorini.

Enjoy your cruise - our time in Santorini was absolutely one of the highlights of my entire life. :D:D:D

Hey Carol! great to hear from you. How's the fam?

Ah, you're on Jewel next year..., the 11 or 9 day itinerary? Looks like sunset in April is much like Sept... between 7:40pm-8:05pm depending on early vs. late April.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/greece/santorini?month=4&year=2019

That's also the sunset time we had on my review... we timed dinner so that we'd have desert/final glass of wine right at sunset, and about 5min after it went down we were out and walking back to the gondola so we could get down to the tender before 9pm.

11 night. It's an amazing itinerary.

(Everyone here is great. I am loving having a grandson!)

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I searched and couldn't find the review that mentioned it, so maybe it was a figment of my imagination or I was being too selective in the reviews I was double checking. I've got a year until my cruise (end of June 2019), so it might be a moot point by then. Just thought I'd ask now since my cruise is relatively early next year there might not be enough cruises on that itinerary to find out.

Thanks again everyone!!

I always consider the Windjammer a perfect alternative.

No planning needed. :)

Hi,

Thanks for looking it up - but unfortunately that wasn't the one. I searched some more and while I recognized some of the reviews I couldn't find the one that referenced open dining in Santorini :(

Just a thought - was it definitely for fixed dining and not MTD? We've done a few overnights in Venice and always do MTD and on those nights they just said no need to book a time just come whenever you like