Lots of childern on board the Viking Ocean ships ?

SmoothFlying

NOT trying to start a group of 'PC' backlash with this inquiry. Because my wife and I have grandchildren. But she has commented in the past that she'd love to find a cruise line that as a rule has very few children and let ours sail with their parents on DCL.

I read here, in a review, that as a rule, Viking Ocean is more geared towards an adult segment and has very few children's activities. Just curious if this review was correct? And many thanks or any response.

Mac

ZERO children's activities.

Older children interested in adult oriented tours of museum's, cathedrals, historical sites including re-enactments, etc. may find it suitable.

Only "children" I saw on Viking Ocean were 16 & 21. The young ladies told me they loved the Homelands cruise.

When my grandkids are a bit older, I'm taking them on Viking as they speak French and take honors history, etc. courses.

They're the type who never liked Disney. Not typical.

True!!! but we cruised in in Europe in the Spring so would not have been a typical season to bring children. IMO the Viking ships would be disappointing to kids...I do not think any of the staterooms accommodate 3 or more people.

Mac

Our experience is Viking Ocean is 100% aimed at adults, have seen zero children on two cruises.

If I want to take my perfect grandchildren (aren't everyone's) on a cruise I'll book Disney or preferably Royal Caribbean (Allure/Oasis of the Seas class), more to do for kids and much less expensive than Disney.

Mac

Our experience is Viking Ocean is 100% aimed at adults, have seen zero children on two cruises.

If I want to take my perfect grandchildren (aren't everyone's) on a cruise I'll book Disney or preferably Royal Caribbean (Allure/Oasis of the Seas class), more to do for kids and much less expensive than Disney.

It depends on where and when you are traveling. When we did "Midnight Sun" in June and "New Year's in the Med," there were a couple of multi-generational groups on board. However, none of the children were younger than high school age.

Nevertheless, Viking does nothing to accommodate children: there are no children's facilities or programs; cabins accommodate two people only; minors must have an adult in their cabin; there are no connecting cabins.

From the Viking Terms and Conditions:

Due to the nature of our cruise and travel itineraries, the Carrier does not maintain facilities or services for children aboard cruise vessels or otherwise during the trip. On all cruises and cruise journeys, minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied and share a stateroom with a parent, legal guardian or other responsible adult over the age of 21. We reserve the right to limit the number of minors under the age of 18 years on board and on land excursions booked through us.

We were on the Viking Sun's inaugural cruise in early October and I didn't see any older teens or young people in their 20's. No one under 16 is allowed. It was delightful. Even a waiter who had worked for several other cruise lines said it was a pleasure to work with all adults. It was very quiet and respectful and relaxing.

NOT trying to start a group of 'PC' backlash with this inquiry. Because my wife and I have grandchildren. But she has commented in the past that she'd love to find a cruise line that as a rule has very few children and let ours sail with their parents on DCL.

I read here, in a review, that as a rule, Viking Ocean is more geared towards an adult segment and has very few children's activities. Just curious if this review was correct? And many thanks or any response.

Mac

VERY adult. There's nothing on board that would interest kids or keep them happy.