Lobster

Salty Sushi

We just finished a cruise on Divina first week in October. The lobster was an extra charge in the dining room and it was served once in the Yacht Club dining room. We are from Boston and we don’t usually order lobster because it is never as good as what we get at home. I have to say that the lobster we had on Divina was as good as anything we have at home. We were really surprised at the quality.

It is always interesting to see how some cruisers go nutz over a relatively inexpensive warm water lobster tail..that is served on most cruise lines. But these are generally not in the same class as real New England/Canadian lobster. So my suggestion for those cruising out of Ft Lauderdale is spend a pre cruise night at one of the hotels around 17th Street (the Embassy Suites is a popular hotel in this area) and walk over to "Kellys Landing" for dinner. That informal restaurant serves real New England Lobster (we are not talking tails...but real lobster with claws) and some of the best Chowder south of Boston. A whole lobster (about 1 1/4 pound) is relatively inexpensive (about $20) and wonderful.

Hank

My husband agrees with you! The YC wait staff encouraged everyone to have lobster as an appetizer and as a main course with the beef. They just kept bringing them out!

We just finished a cruise on Divina first week in October. The lobster was an extra charge in the dining room and it was served once in the Yacht Club dining room. We are from Boston and we don’t usually order lobster because it is never as good as what we get at home. I have to say that the lobster we had on Divina was as good as anything we have at home. We were really surprised at the quality.

It was served on gala night a couple of years ago. But it stopped being served last October.

OK, I am cruising with MSC since 2010, one or two cruises a year, never saw a lobster :cool:

What they usually offered at gala nights is Nephrops norvegicus. Scampi in Italian, not too big ones unfortunately.

The last time I was in the Yacht Club, it was cold water lobster that was served, not warm water lobster. Must be why the couple from New England enjoyed it so much!

Thank You Faze,

I have an extensive background in food and the last time I served lobster I prepared 140 lbs of it and it came directly from my friends lobster boat from Maine. The lobsters we were served on Divina in the Yacht Club were definitely Homard Americanis...cold water lobster. The size of the tails indicated that they were bigger than “chicken lobsters” which only weigh a pound and a quarter which is the minimum weight allowed by law in New England. We were impressed.

It is funny how the pax will go nuts over the dubious spiney stuff some lines try to pass off as lobster.

OK, I am cruising with MSC since 2010, one or two cruises a year, never saw a lobster :cool:

What they usually offered at gala nights is Nephrops norvegicus. Scampi in Italian, not too big ones unfortunately.[/

Sorry obviously my mistake !

It did however say lobster on the menu and it also tasted like lobster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank You Faze,

I have an extensive background in food and the last time I served lobster I prepared 140 lbs of it and it came directly from my friends lobster boat from Maine. The lobsters we were served on Divina in the Yacht Club were definitely Homard Americanis...cold water lobster. The size of the tails indicated that they were bigger than “chicken lobsters” which only weigh a pound and a quarter which is the minimum weight allowed by law in New England. We were impressed.

It is funny how the pax will go nuts over the dubious spiney stuff some lines try to pass off as lobster.

Agree about the spiny stuff (its good to feed it to cats). But if you were served Homard Americanis...then you would know from the claws (not the tails). In fact, we think the claw meat is the best tasting meat on any lobster. If there were no claws it was not Homard Americanis.

Hank

Agree about the spiny stuff (its good to feed it to cats). But if you were served Homard Americanis...then you would know from the claws (not the tails). In fact, we think the claw meat is the best tasting meat on any lobster. If there were no claws it was not Homard Americanis. Hank

Claw and knuckle meat is very good...but where I come from...the tail is the most expensive part of the lobster. The lobster we were served was excellent. It was NOT Homard Mediterranee.

We used our black card free speciality meal for the Galaxy restaurant.

One of the appetisers was lobster pasta. A whole tail was chopped in with the fresh pasta. This was the best ever dish my wife and I had ever had in our lives. Honestly it was amazing [emoji6]

24e75d02b5eed007437c1333fc909893.jpg24e75d02b5eed007437c1333fc909893.jpg

This was the one in the Yacht Club and looked and taster just like last years lobster on Splendida in the MDR I paid extra for. f89418885cff6b3cf0564c2a12d7eec5.jpg

Being British we had afternoon tea so could only manage 1 however 1 guy had 3. Well we left at that point so maybe more.

Scampi is totally another animal and is much smaller than lobster. It's usually served as a pasta sauce but also alone more for an antipasto.

I know that and you know that but another poster said the lobster on the Divina is not lobster but scampi!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was the one in the Yacht Club and looked and taster just like last years lobster on Splendida in the MDR I paid extra for. f89418885cff6b3cf0564c2a12d7eec5.jpg

Being British we had afternoon tea so could only manage 1 however 1 guy had 3. Well we left at that point so maybe more.

2nd Gala night May 2016 in MDR 6add5c7331c2cba364f789978b67da0c.jpg

MDR January 2017 as an up sell

Obviously when it comes to tails.....size does matter. Looking forward to consuming a few of those large ones in the YC on the Seaside in January with just a squeeze of lemon drizzled over the top. Butter overpowers it, IMHO.

• 4 months later...