Lava Flow viewing on The Pride of America

prince34

STARBOARD is the answer with a BIG "IF"

"BUT" the POA may not sail that way IF Pele is not performing and IF the ash and fumes emitting from

the flow are blowing makai (seaward) towards the ship.

In that case the POA goes north around the island - nothing to see here - no droids etc.

And unlike the cruise passage around the cliffs of Na Pali on the island of Kauai where the POA sails

pass the prime viewing point and then turns around so the other side of the ship has a view.

When sailing around the south end of the Big Island it does not turn for a reverse look of the lava flow.

Of course with NCL; the weather and of course with the blessings of Madam Pele --- YMMV !

I would not book a Starboard cabin just for a possible, brief sailby of the lava flow after leaving Hilo. It may or may not happen. I'd go for a Port cabin. From the time you leave port in the early afternoon in Kauai, the ship follows the coastline and it is quite scenic, even before reaching the Na Pali portion of the coast. From that point it is spectacular and close in. You could spend the entire afternoon on your balcony enjoying the view. Once the ship reaches the "end" of the sail by it turns and sails straight out to sea before turning and heading back the same way. By that time, the starboard view is very far out, and the light is failing.

Enjoy the brief Lava sail by from the open decks of the ship.

I would not book a Starboard cabin just for a possible, brief sailby of the lava flow after leaving Hilo. It may or may not happen. I'd go for a Port cabin. From the time you leave port in the early afternoon in Kauai, the ship follows the coastline and it is quite scenic, even before reaching the Na Pali portion of the coast. From that point it is spectacular and close in. You could spend the entire afternoon on your balcony enjoying the view. Once the ship reaches the "end" of the sail by it turns and sails straight out to sea before turning and heading back the same way. By that time, the starboard view is very far out, and the light is failing.

Enjoy the brief Lava sail by from the open decks of the ship.

Thanks, looks like we've chose the right side. Already booked our cabin on the port side

• 2 months later...
Could anyone please tell me roughly what time in the evening you can see the lava flow (if the ship sails by)? I would hate to miss it because of a dinner reservation...

The BEST answer would come from the Bridge -

Time of sailing out of the port of Hilo -

Course along the south coast of the Big Island -

Intersecting point (closest) to Kilauea's exit into the sea -

AND - importantly if a ship's PA announcement will be made at that point -?-

Unless Madam Pele is really putting on a show your passage will no doubt be 10-15 miles out to sea

and only a faint trickle of a lingering lava flow can be seen aided with binoculars or telephoto lens.

The BEST answer would be from the Bridge based on previous cruises and what to expect.

So POP the question (on board) - certainly others will be interested in the answer !

Don't change your cabin location just for seeing Madam Pele's fickle event - be prepared to go up on

deck to see it if at all !

Yes, for several years the lava didn't flow to the ocean at all. Back in 2004-2008, when I was on the ships there, we used to stop the ship, start the thrusters and rotate the ship 360* to give everyone a good look while the Hawaiian Ambassador gave a spiel about Pele. We would be so close that we had to closely monitor the sea water temperature to ensure the engines didn't overheat, and we had to call the Captain a few times to cut things short and get out of Dodge. The flow to the sea in the last few years hasn't been nearly as impressive, even the short lived "lava hose" which was not visible from far away.