Solstice-ization 2.0? Celebrity Cruises Ups the Ante on Infinity's Massive Refurb

LauraS

Very interesting news. As a fan of the S Class ships (especially AQ) I welcome these upgrades. Will they keep the T Pool I wonder.

Hi Sandi,:) I am thinking it is going to turn into the Solarium pool even

though it is not mentioned in the article.

I am disappointed that 160 additional pax will be added to some of the already crowded public rooms / areas, particularly the stern bar on deck 10 of the wonderful M class ships. Putting in these additional cabins will take away some public space although I agree the kid's center is likely under utilized.

Having just returned from a cruise in a Celebrity Suite, I will be interested to see how they are going to add the verandas. We loved our suite and the wonderful view we had of everything that was going on. If they plan to hang these verandas outside of the current windows and put an access door through one of the existing windows, these verandas will be very breezy when the ship is underway much like a forward facing veranda. The only complaint we had was getting our windows washed after a windy day at sea. We will book this suite again, but maybe not if they are going to take some of the interior square footage and turn it into veranda.

We will all have to wait and see.

Hi Everyone !

FYI, according to the Press Release, Infinity's new capacity will be 2,154 passengers, which equates to an additional 122 passengers. Infinity's current capacity is listed as 2,032 passengers. If the math is right, there will be an increase of 6% guest capacity.

Hi Everyone !

FYI, according to the Press Release, Infinity's new capacity will be 2,154 passengers, which equates to an additional 122 passengers. Infinity's current capacity is listed as 2,032 passengers. If the math is right, there will be an increase of 6% guest capacity.

Just off a 14 night cruise on the Infinity. I can attest to the under or non-utilization of the deck 3 meeting rooms. However, I have a hard time picturing the addition of cabins on deck 11. The dining room was over capacity during early seating with a waiting list the entire cruise. The Constellation, Rendevous, and other public rooms were completely filled to capacity for several events and we once left after being unable to find seating (and we were not "Late.")

We heard there were 1905 passengers on our sailing. While this was one of the best cruises we have taken to date, I have a hard time understanding how Celebrity will maintain the service levels of a "Premium" cruise line with these additional passengers and less public space.

One of the things I personally love about the M class is the great path for walking deck 11 to get some exercise. The current path is a great mix of walking by the pool overlook (the only area available on S class) and the more open less crowded areas to the aft. A lot of people like sunning towards the aft as it allows for less crowds than around the pool or the overlook. Now it appears they'll do away with that area with a conversion to new staterooms. Too bad.

• 2 months later...

Finally! They are going to have to follow the Access Guidelines recently approved under the Americans with Disabilities Act. These include lifts into pools and hot tubs. I finally passed the Equator in 2007 and was very disappointed to not be able to participate in the King Neptune event solely due to a lack of a rather simple and inexpensive lift on the Infinity. Hopefully this will extend to the tender escalators for fulltime wheelchair users that their web site has been promising for years. We'll be keeping our eyes peeled for updates on the renovations while we take 2 of our bucket list cruises on Holland America, a first for us, this year. We were told the Summit did have these escalators for our fall Canada cruise by the sales staff at Celebrity and even getting names did not change things.

I also agree about the walking deck on 11 which wheelers also use for exercise. An unfortunant change of use.

• 8 months later...

The last time I was on Infinity the dining room was so crowded the passengers has to pass plates around the table because the waiter could not get around the table to serve. Where are they going to put these additional passengers in the dining room?

The last time I was on Infinity the dining room was so crowded the passengers has to pass plates around the table because the waiter could not get around the table to serve. Where are they going to put these additional passengers in the dining room?

Wow - It wasn't like that on our fully booked Caribbean cruise in the Millie! Didn't find it crowded at all in the MDR and you have to walk through and between the tables to get to your own table so we would have noticed. We were early traditional though, if that makes a difference (it was waitlisted 9 months out).

The one think that I did note on the new deck plans is that they never covered the "hole" on Deck 5 which looks down on the Rendezvous Lounge:D like they did on the Connie.

The other thing was that as they moved the Fun Factory to the port side of the Constellation Lounge, it is taking the space of the "smoking area". I called Captains Club and she checked the plans and it seems there is no longer any inside smoking areas:D

I'm just off the Infinity a few weeks ago and the hole is indeed covered. I didn't think I would like that...we used to sit up in the Martini bar and look down at the dancers below...but what it did was double the entertainment, you had a choice of whether to sit in the Rendezvous or the Martini bar to hear music. We were surprised we liked that change.

We had hoped to try out one of those new AQ cabins in March 2012 but our daughter si getting married. From what I gathered from sneak peaks, these cabins wuold have been trully a penthouse - high up away from the crowds. They are actually build new structure for the cabins. Maybe we can try them after our Solstice Australia cruise in 2013.

I'm just off the Infinity a few weeks ago and the hole is indeed covered. I didn't think I would like that...we used to sit up in the Martini bar and look down at the dancers below...but what it did was double the entertainment, you had a choice of whether to sit in the Rendezvous or the Martini bar to hear music. We were surprised we liked that change.

I wonder when they covered the "hole"?? I thought that the Connie was the only one:(

One of the things I personally love about the M class is the great path for walking deck 11 to get some exercise. The current path is a great mix of walking by the pool overlook (the only area available on S class) and the more open less crowded areas to the aft. A lot of people like sunning towards the aft as it allows for less crowds than around the pool or the overlook. Now it appears they'll do away with that area with a conversion to new staterooms. Too bad.

I agree, Larry, one of my favorite areas on the ship. I think what they did to the Connie is an improvement. Sorry, but I don't see the addition of all these cabins and pax and subtraction of public space as an improvement. One can only hope that they will leave the Connie alone and not tack on these "improvements."

The press release says that Infinity will have the Tuscan Grille added. Previously, it has been Qsine. We are on the cruise immediately post drydock and have already been able to make reservations for Qsine. We are happy either way but I suspect that Celebrity have made a mistake with the press release.

As for the T-Pool: it was not changed when Constellation was upgraded and nothing has been said to indicate that it will change on Infinity. As the M-class T-pools are too salty for me, I would rather it was changed.

The "hole" on Infinity was filled in some time ago [around 2008?] because the regulars at the Martini Bar complained about the "noise" from the Reflections Lounge below. A huge mistake in my opinion. Filling the "hole" was the one thing we disliked about Constellations upgrade.

Sue

I just came back yesterday from my Connie cruise sailing the Greek Islands and Turkey.

I was on the TA right before she went into Drydock to get her makeover. All I can say so fare ( a review will follow) all the changes are a BIG SUCCESS and made a fromer beatuy even more beautyfull. Elegant, spotless clean ( as always) , very attentive and friendly crew.

Michael

confusing-- will it be Tuscan Grill or Q-sine???? Q sine holds no interest for us...we are disappointed they took Silk Harvest off the newer S class ships but will sail on them anyhow......Our next few cruises are all on S class ships in AQ--so we will enjoy BLU with no need for other dining venues.....except Bistro on Five

Not happy about them adding more pax.. that means more people for same size pool areas etc...and in the past, the refurbs have not been a complete makeover--same old showers & the old pool on the Century ( plus they removed the T pool)....not sure how it worked out on Connie but at least their are choices for everyone.....

I think we'll stick to the original S class ships-- perfect size & space for us!

The press release says that Infinity will have the Tuscan Grille added. Previously, it has been Qsine. We are on the cruise immediately post drydock and have already been able to make reservations for Qsine. We are happy either way but I suspect that Celebrity have made a mistake with the press release....

The press release above is a year old. I beleive everything I've read recently indicates they've changed plans from Tuscan Grill to Qsine on the remaining three M class ships (Summit, Infinity and Millennium). So I beleive that the Constellation is the only M class ship to have Tuscan Grill.

I don't think the added passengers are going to detract at all. I welcome more people on board actually - last cruise on the Millennium the lounges were always half empty. I'd love a little more buzz and activity....:)

I too liked the open space on Deck 11 as I like a long jogging track with great views. Think it was the best jogging track at sea actually. So instead of sulking I just booked one of the AQ Aft cabins so I could still enjoy the view from up there!

Archived