Was There a Double Suicide on Magic?

Lace

Remembered this story when it happened. Just read the article in the link the previous poster provider.

Was saddened by the sheer stupidity of some of the comments at the bottom of the article. People love shooting off their opinions when they have no clue of what they're talking about!

Two people go overboard (via a rail that you can't accidentally fall over) and the cruise line should be avoided? Wow...:(

I thought I heard a half an ear hear something, but I see nothing.

The Magic did return to port earlier than expected and a passenger posted on Carnival's Facebook page that she suspected it was a suicide due to two people being removed covered in sheets from head to toe, but she did not know for certain they took their own life, only that they were deceased. I actually came here to see if there was anything else posted about it.

Edited by ShellLoves2cruise
spelling

The Magic did return to port earlier than expected and a passenger posted on Carnival's Facebook page that she suspected it was a suicide due to two people being removed covered in sheets from head to toe, but she did not know for certain they took their own life, only that they were deceased. I actually came here to see if there was anything else posted about it.

This may seem like a silly question, but why would the Magic need to return early if two people died by suicide?

Prayers and kind thoughts to the families.

I really wish suicides wouldn't choose the cruise ship methodology.

Can't they find some way to inflict it on Air Travel instead?

Doesn't Air Travel deserve the neg. press a lot more than the cruise industry?

Edited by Aplmac

I was on the Magic that came back today and we did arrive early...around 11 last night. We were officially told that two passengers who were life threateningly ill required the early arrival, and to keep them in our thoughts and prayers. They also called a weird code to a cabin on 8 right before debarkation....I could not hear it clearly or I would give specifics. Maybe one of my fellow cruisers will have more info!

This may seem like a silly question, but why would the Magic need to return early if two people died by suicide?

Prayers and kind thoughts to the families.

Well I have no idea why they would return early! I just read that this lady was a passenger on the Magic and said they were told at 2pm yesterday the ship would be returning to port early because of two passengers with a medical emergency, they arrived back in Galveston 7 hours before the scheduled 7am docking time. She was speculating that it was a suicide however had no details to back it up.

This may seem like a silly question, but why would the Magic need to return early if two people died by suicide.

Are you serious? What should they do? Sail along at a leisurely pace with two dead bodies on board? I can only feel for the family as well as any crew who had to deal with this situation. Tragic.

I really wish suicides wouldn't choose the cruise ship methodology.

Can't they find some way to inflict it on Air Travel instead?

Doesn't Air Travel deserve the neg. press a lot more than the cruise industry?

One has to wonder about ALL our mental health and where the true illness lies after reading suicides wouldn't choose. These could have teens or someone seeking but not find anything to hold on to and gave up. You are concern about the cruise industry over the the loved ones of these people????? Rates might go down as a result and we can get one more cruise in!

I can only assume whatever the reason it can't be good and needed to be done!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Are you serious? What should they do? Sail along at a leisurely pace with two dead bodies on board? I can only feel for the family as well as any crew who had to deal with this situation. Tragic.

Yes, the ships have morgues with chilled lockers for the storage of corpses.

If two people were experiencing a life threatening emergency then the USCG would have met them off shore. There may have been people having a medical / traumatic event but it would not have been truly life threatening.

If there were two deceased people on board the morgue can hold both of them. This cruise lines are all used to handling deaths at sea and I have never heard of them rushing back to port just because the morgue is occupied.

There is more to this story than meets the eye. At the end of the day - its none of our business what happened to the people involved. Unless they committed suicide in which case I think someone voides their expectation of privacy at that point.

My sister was on the Magic that returned today.

What she was told was that someone had suffered a heart attack and another passenger has suffered a stroke. She did say they had passed away.

The Magic did return last night (instead of this morning)

Maybe the passengers were still alive when the ship rushed back.

I won’t speculate on the cause but it does seem unusual to me that there were 2 deaths on board.

I see no reason for the ship to "RUSH" back to port because two people chose to take their lives. If that is even the truth. If that is the truth, there is a morgue to keep them comfortable until they get back to Galveston. SMH:rolleyes:

Depending on the nature of the emergency, it may have been necessary to get people to a hospital or there may have been need to have a police involvement.

It is hard to know what went on without the facts, and the company is unlikely to share the facts to protect the privacy of the individuals.

I am glad that the worst of it for the rest of the passengers were that they docked early. It may have been done that way so that whatever the issue was did not delay disinformation the next day.

I see no reason for the ship to "RUSH" back to port because two people chose to take their lives. If that is even the truth. If that is the truth, there is a morgue to keep them comfortable until they get back to Galveston. SMH:rolleyes:

On the Grand Princess about 3 weeks ago a woman jumped off the ship on the Promenade deck. The ship stopped and circled the waters for several hours looking for her. There was a man with her (her boyfriend) when she did it. The ship missed their first port and people were really ticked off that she ruined their vacation and that they missed the first port. Yes, people react differently when it's done intentionally because it does harm everyone in one way or another.