Eurodam February 18, 2018, cruise cancelled.

CruisinNana

My TA received an email today saying the cruise we had booked (Eurodam, 2/18/18) had been cancelled. They gave us a choice of 6 other sailings we could substitute it for at the same price and offered us $100 per person OBC for inconvenience. We changed our date to a month earlier and with only one port change we were OK. My travel agent called back to say for $153 per person more we could keep the $100 pp inconvenience OBC, get $150 more per person OBC, get prepaid gratuities, and $50 Internet credit. So for $306 more, we got a nice deal.....$500 OBC plus paid gratuities and an internet package.

I hope this works out for anyone else affected. In all the cruises I've booked, I have never had this happen. I have read that it has happened to others so I wasn't surprised when it happened to us. I am happy with the change even though it threw me a curve initially. I was also happy they were able to give me the Family Retreat Cabana I had already paid for on the other cruise.

We also got a notice today that HAL cancelled our 14 day (7 day B 2 B) on the Eurodam that was to start Feb 4. We had booked that after HAL cancelled our 10 Day Koningsdam that was supposed to start on Feb 4. It looks like HAL only wants to have charters. Very frustrating:mad:

We also got a notice yesterday that our Feb. 14, 11 day cruise on Koningsdam was cancelled due to the charters.

We booked inside rooms and were offered $50 for the inconvenience. Luckily at a year out, you most likely haven't booked air or hotels yet.

In December we were notified that our Feb. 4 cruise was cancelled.

The cruise we took in February on Nieuw Amsterdam was booked after 2 other cruises were cancelled due to charters.

Still trying to sail on Koningsdam.

Sounds like a charter. From what we've been reading here lately, it's better to have the ship chartered out from under you than to have a large group on your cruise.

You got a good deal, especially being able to keep the cabana you wanted.

Thank you. I am glad that worked out as well as that is one reason we book that ship! Love the family cabana!

We also got a notice today that HAL cancelled our 14 day (7 day B 2 B) on the Eurodam that was to start Feb 4. We had booked that after HAL cancelled our 10 Day Koningsdam that was supposed to start on Feb 4. It looks like HAL only wants to have charters. Very frustrating:mad:

I am so sorry you have had such a frustrating experience. If you are interested in which Eurodam cruise that was offering the "deal" I mentioned, it is the January 21st sailing if that works with your schedule. The "deal" didn't have a name, but I can ask my TA if you are interested.

We also got a notice yesterday that our Feb. 14, 11 day cruise on Koningsdam was cancelled due to the charters.

We booked inside rooms and were offered $50 for the inconvenience. Luckily at a year out, you most likely haven't booked air or hotels yet.

In December we were notified that our Feb. 4 cruise was cancelled.

The cruise we took in February on Nieuw Amsterdam was booked after 2 other cruises were cancelled due to charters.

Still trying to sail on Koningsdam.

Oh dear. So sorry. I sailed on the Koningsdam this past December and thought it was a lovely ship. Keep trying!

I am so sorry you have had such a frustrating experience. If you are interested in which Eurodam cruise that was offering the "deal" I mentioned, it is the January 21st sailing if that works with your schedule. The "deal" didn't have a name, but I can ask my TA if you are interested.

Thanks but we are booked on the Koningsdam from Jan 14 - Feb 4 unless they charter one of these too:eek: Looking at trying to start early and get on the Koningsdam on Jan 3 and staying until Feb 4 and see if we can stay in the same cabin.

Hate these charters.:mad:

Somewhat surprised they would charter a ship during President's day week as that is already a popular vacation week. Seen lots of charters around then, but usually that week is "safe".

Glad they didn't wait any longer to cancel it for those already booked, as airfare for that week will open up here in the next week or so (unless you fly SW of course).

I got notified also that the Feb 4 2018 Eurodam 14 day was cancelled. This is the third time HAL has done this to me since Nov. We had a 14 day booked on the NA, cancelled, able to rebook on Eurodam. (Had 4 cabins and cabanas booked for family--took over two hours on phone to sort out). Our Feb 2018 NA was cancelled, rebooked the Eurodam. NOw that one is cancelled.

Been very loyal to HAL. Like the size of the ships, the low key atmosphere as we just want to relax. Almost 4 star too. Bye bye HAL. CAn't count on you.

I got notified also that the Feb 4 2018 Eurodam 14 day was cancelled. This is the third time HAL has done this to me since Nov. We had a 14 day booked on the NA, cancelled, able to rebook on Eurodam. (Had 4 cabins and cabanas booked for family--took over two hours on phone to sort out). Our Feb 2018 NA was cancelled, rebooked the Eurodam. NOw that one is cancelled.

Been very loyal to HAL. Like the size of the ships, the low key atmosphere as we just want to relax. Almost 4 star too. Bye bye HAL. CAn't count on you.

I can certainly understand your frustration!

What gives with HAL and all the charters? They will definitely start to turn off those of us who are loyal, independent HAL cruisers. We usually take a Feb cruise and prefer the Eurodam or NA, but would be very reluctant to book one now.

What gives with HAL and all the charters? They will definitely start to turn off those of us who are loyal, independent HAL cruisers. We usually take a Feb cruise and prefer the Eurodam or NA, but would be very reluctant to book one now.

Because they're newer, the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Konigsdam (and I'm sure the Nieuw Statendam when she's out the end of next year), are the most frequently chartered or booked by large groups, especially on 7-day segments. Sometimes the smaller, older ships will be chartered (S-class and R-class) and the Vista class (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam) as well, but that's not as common. Compared to most other mass market cruise lines, the HAL fleet is comprised of mid-sized ships that the charters/large groups can fill more easily. I've learned the hard way to do the research ahead of time. Thank goodness for the CC HAL forum, or I wouldn't have learned of this phenomenon.

It also seems that February is a very popular month for charters.

Right now there are 8 cruises sailing out of Fort Lauderdale for February 2018.

Westerdam -Feb. 4

Eurodam -Feb. 25 +3 charters

Nieuw Amsterdam - Feb. 10, Feb. 24 +3 charters

Koningsdam -Feb. 25 + 3 charters

Zuiderdam -Feb. 7, Feb. 18, Feb. 28

Zuiderdam might be the ship to book if you don't want a cruise to be canceled for a charter.

It also seems that February is a very popular month for charters.

Right now there are 8 cruises sailing out of Fort Lauderdale for February 2018.

Westerdam -Feb. 4

Eurodam -Feb. 25 +3 charters

Nieuw Amsterdam - Feb. 10, Feb. 24 +3 charters

Koningsdam -Feb. 25 + 3 charters

Zuiderdam -Feb. 7, Feb. 18, Feb. 28

Zuiderdam might be the ship to book if you don't want a cruise to be canceled for a charter.

Interesting. I think Zuiderdam is doing all 10- or 11- day cruises (partial canal transit). Most of the groups and charters seem to go for 7-day cruises. We tend to book way in advance, and I'm avoiding 7-day cruises like the plague. We generally prefer 10-14 days, anyway, but I won't book a B2B 14 because they're really 7-day cruises, and potential "targets" for groups.

OTOH, maybe it's safe to book the other three now, as HAL has to stop taking charters at some point. They've already had to shift a lot of people to accommodate charters. They might be running out of alternative cruises to offer booked passengers who've had their sailing chartered/cancelled.

We too are very frustrated with this development. It's all about the bottom line. Loyalty to a cruise line takes a back seat to the revenue department. As long time cruisers like to say, "cruising sure has changed over the years". Indeed it has. We can put up with the little blips that often occur on a cruise, but this nonsense of opening a cruise to a booking, letting clients book the cruise and then pull the rug out from under them once the cruise line gets a better offer. HAL, you know what you can do with your cruise line.:mad:

HAL wants to have full ships and a profit on their investment. I am guessing that individual bookings are not profitable enough and so they need to do charters. If they do charter, then I prefer full charters so that I am not being overrun by a large special interest group.

I would suggest not booking so far in advance if this is a problem, and I appreciate that it can be a problem.

igraf

Just for reasons of curiosity, is there a way to find out what group/company chartered the ships???

Two ways:

1) You can refer to the thread created by "CJcruzer", linked below, which she updates periodically. I have linked the latest list as of today:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430548

2) You can do an internet search on your own. Enter your ship's name, dates of cruising, and destination. You may have to scroll down past all the travel agencies, but you'll eventually find any affinity cruises. You can also go to these websites: Inspirations Cruises, or Theme Cruise Finder.

Remember some groups are neither large, nor will they encroach upon your onboard experience. If you wish, you can call the affinity organization directly to find out how many passengers are in their groups.

You will not get any information by contacting Holland America.

• 6 months later...

I am a little -- no, make that a lot! -- confused about what happened here. Right now, HAL's website shows that the Eurodam is sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 4, 2018 on the 10-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer cruise. Bookings are available.

So did HAL not only cancel your booking, but completely change the itinerary of the cruise? And presumably change the itineraries of surrounding cruises as well, since one can't schedule a 10 night in lieu of two 7-night cruises without making other changes or creating a gap in use of the ship.

I don't imagine you or anybody outside of HAL can explain this, but I am befuddled!

This happened to me last March, our Niuew Amsterdam cruise was cancelled due to the ship chartered out, we sailed on the Eurodam a day earlier and got $100/person OBC, that was it, so you did well, enjoy your cruise.

My TA received an email today saying the cruise we had booked (Eurodam, 2/18/18) had been cancelled.

Hello, and I'm confused :o

Did you mean the Feb 14 Eurodam (which I'm on)?

I see the Zuiderdam and Koningsdam leaving Ft. Lauderdale on the 18th

All three of these are still on the HAL www site as available.

Thanks