For sharing: your must eat food in Italy

slidergirl

Well, now that it is Holiday time, it brings out some good Italian food you usually find just this time of year. What is your favorites?

I had mentioned before the Panforte from Siena. I was lucky I found that one last month. Memories of Siena - where I spent 4 days in hospital after shattering my leg in Montalcino. I'll say I would have killed for some panforte to go with my morning espresso at the hospital (YES, patients could have espresso!!!).

Panettone!!! I love panettone. There is another Italian store a 40 minute drive away that will carry all different brands and sizes of panettone this time of year. Sliced and toasted is my favorite way of indulging. I usually get traditional, but I've had some really good ones done with a limoncello-infused filling.

Pizzelle cookies. the ex-nanna-in-law always made a ton of Pizzelle cookies around Christmas. She did them by hand, with her Pizzelle press.

• 3 weeks later...

Struffoli! In plain English they're little round balls of deep friend dough drenched in honey, a Neapolitan Christmas treat though I've had them in many a Sicilian/Southern Italian home too. Some people add pignoli nuts or almonds, candied fruit - it depends. What doesn't differ is trying to stop eating them at just a few and at first I wasn't keen on them...then....well they're essential and yes, some recipes ARE better than others!

Definitely a great Italian treat (among others) to enjoy at this time of year :)

• 4 months later...
Focaccia is originating from Genova.

Vin Santo is originating from San Gimignano.

A nice snack in the Tuscany area is a Porchetta sandwich (young board rolled up with herbs - cold cut).

Gelato... the Italian website Dissapore lists the best 100 gelaterias in Italy each year - so check this for 2016. It´s in Italian but you still can read the addresses ;-) - Armonia e Poesia right in Civitavecchia behind the train station (maybe 10-15 min walking). Or my favorite for 23 year - Sergio Dondoli and his Gelateria di Piazza in San Gimignano.

Mozzarella di Buffola - especially in a Caprese sandwich.

There´s great food all over Italy and lots of regional specialties. Not to forget about the wine...

steamboats

My ex nanna-in-law's foccacia was not the light fluffy one, but a little more dense. Still so good with just the EVOO, rosemary, and a little salt...

Oh yes, a porchetta sandwich!!! It is one of my concessions to meat - it is pork, not beef, so I'm OK.

A nice Mozzarella di Buffola is always good. I always make sure my Pizza Margherita is made with fresh MdB. And, a caprese sandwich is a favorite lunch of mine - I even do this at home!

If we started talking wine, it would be an entirely new LONG thread!!!

• 1 month later...
Just back from Italy. I had artichokes Roman style for the first time at d'Orso 80 in Rome. They were outstanding! Loved this restaurant which was one block from our apartment.
Love Ristorante l'Orso 80, Carolyn! Talk about a fantastic meal...everything is delicious and just keeps coming.

We had made a reservation for 7:00pm and it's good we did as the restaurant was full by 7:15!

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png