Half Moon Cay Question

Chief Cruiser

Exactly .... they have been scheduled in the past ... BUT only the HAL ship actually ended up making the port stop. The Carnival ship was changed to someplace elsewhere ... mostly Nassau. Carnival cruisers were not happy.

U R still wrong - both brands have been to HMC on the same day in the past. Wait a couple more days and I bet more people report being at HMC with HAL & CCL. Like I said before I've seen pictures that I don't believe were photoshopped.

Thread speaks for itself:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2554501

I was at HMC in August, the biggest change I noticed (from 9 months prior) was they had built little boarding huts for getting back on the ship. In the past you waited on long lines in the hot sun to get on the tender. You know go thru these huts, where there is water spraying you and you are not directly in the sun. it also made the wait to get back on the tender seem not as long as you make your way thru. It was a more pleasant way to end the day. Will be back next month and looking forward to it

I was at HMC in August, the biggest change I noticed (from 9 months prior) was they had built little boarding huts for getting back on the ship. In the past you waited on long lines in the hot sun to get on the tender. You know go thru these huts, where there is water spraying you and you are not directly in the sun. it also made the wait to get back on the tender seem not as long as you make your way thru. It was a more pleasant way to end the day. Will be back next month and looking forward to it

That is GREAT. The only negative I had for HMC was the wait in the sun for a tender. I'll get to see for myself by this time next week.

I believe there are more excursions available than a couple of years ago. Most just involve going around the island by various methods but swimming with stingrays was added since the first time we were there.

Thanks to all for your responses. Seems the Seafood Shack may be the only difference and just another way to get a buck. I guess I'll see how the music and bar scene affects my experience once there, weather permitting.

Again, thanks everyone!

If the noise from the pirate ship bar is too annoying, just go down the beach a bit further. The area around Cabana #9 and beyond it is pretty quiet and relaxing. When I get a cabana there, I try to get 9 or above.

There's also a set of bathrooms near #9 and it isn't too far from the buffet area. You can walk along the service road behind the cabanas if walking on the beach sand gets to be too much.

My DW and I booked a cabana last April. The price never goes down, go figure. The lunch provided had less choices than previous stays there. They have provided more areas to eat, which was nice.

BUT, if we have HMC on another cruise, I think we will seriously consider staying on the ship.

Don't get me wrong, if you have never been, check it out!;)

A friend of mine who cruises once a year to be with a group of friends has never been impressed with any port-until his last cruise, when they went to HMC. He said of all the ports he has been to (about 15) he like HMC the best. He just got back two weeks ago.

Exactly .... they have been scheduled in the past ... BUT only the HAL ship actually ended up making the port stop. The Carnival ship was changed to someplace elsewhere ... mostly Nassau. Carnival cruisers were not happy.

We just got the notification today from Carnival that the Conquest's schedule on that 3/11/2017 itinerary has been scrambled such that it won't be making a stop in HMC on 3/12/2017 - it will be later in the itinerary and currently there are no other ships scheduled for HMC on that new port stop date.

Actually that gives you the menu for the onboard restaurant, not the lobster/seafood shack on the island.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gosh, I'm able to get the menu for the Seafood Shack on Half Moon Cay using google ... even has a picture of it there.

We just got the notification today from Carnival that the Conquest's schedule on that 3/11/2017 itinerary has been scrambled such that it won't be making a stop in HMC on 3/12/2017 - it will be later in the itinerary and currently there are no other ships scheduled for HMC on that new port stop date.

That "3 ships at HMC on 3/12" situation may well be the reason why your itinerary was reordered. Sounds like they did y'all a favor. :)

That "3 ships at HMC on 3/12" situation may well be the reason why your itinerary was reordered. Sounds like they did y'all a favor. :)

I know for sure the overbooking of HMC is the reason even though the email vaguely only referred to "operational considerations." I'm not terribly disappointed except that, inexplicably, in juggling the schedule they took away our last sea day and replaced it with a stop in Nassau which was never part of the original itinerary. :(

I know for sure the overbooking of HMC is the reason even though the email vaguely only referred to "operational considerations."

Yeah, 3 ships at HMC strikes me as a pretty serious "operational consideration." :)

I'm not terribly disappointed except that, inexplicably, in juggling the schedule they took away our last sea day and replaced it with a stop in Nassau which was never part of the original itinerary. :(

Nassau? Meh. I'd stay on the ship and consider it a "sea day-in-fact," only with shorter lines and less crowded pools. :D

Yeah, 3 ships at HMC strikes me as a pretty serious "operational consideration." :)

Nassau? Meh. I'd stay on the ship and consider it a "sea day-in-fact," only with shorter lines and less crowded pools. :D

That is exactly what we plan on doing! :)

Do you mean March of 2018? Today is October, 2017.

Two ships often port at HMC. I've even seen a HAL & CCL ship together (in a pic). Imagine being on a HAL ship at HMC and see a funnel coming around the corner, they must Sh*t.

............ I find less people on the island with HAL vs CCL.

I was going to reply that if it happens that there's a HAL ship and a Carnival most of the HAL folks really won't care because many, many of them are not big beach swimmers.

Regardless of which line we sail DH and I only go ashore at HMC late morning for an umbrella drink then tender back for an uncrowded lunch and the ship's pool.

Thanks to all for your responses. Seems the Seafood Shack may be the only difference and just another way to get a buck. I guess I'll see how the music and bar scene affects my experience once there, weather permitting.

Again, thanks everyone!

There is plenty of beach that you can get far enough away from the Pirate Ship Bar and not have to hear the blasting music. We were in Cabana 1 a few years back, and we could hear the music but it definitely was not loud where we were. :D

There is plenty of beach that you can get far enough away from the Pirate Ship Bar and not have to hear the blasting music. We were in Cabana 1 a few years back, and we could hear the music but it definitely was not loud where we were. :D

That's good to hear. I always figured #1 would be in a pretty loud, crowded area (and I suspect the "crowded" part is still true).

It IS the only cabana that is wheelchair-accessible, unless they've changed things.