When does Azamara put a cruise on sale?

Nashna

Thanks Bonnie. I was afraid of that. So now I'm wondering if I should cancel at the last minute and then rebook after final payment when the rate goes down or additional benefits are offered. I guess I'll wait until closer to final payment to determine what I'll do.

I had to cancel an Azamara Cruise to Cuba for November of 2018. They have yet to send us back our deposit, but they charged us $100 for a cancellation fee. I have been on 37 cruises, and had to cancel a few, but never was charged a fee for cancelling, and this is 14 months before the cruise. What a ripoff!

Did you ask when $100 cancellation fee was introduced? Was the fee by a TA or Azamara?

Like Grandma Cruising, we loose our deposit in Australia as well. Our insurance policies don't cover this loss either, except for health reasons, etc. Another reason why I don't book ahead any more.

You do have to wonder how many genuine bookings cruise lines miss out on by over charging originally, against their competitors (both land and sea).

We just cancelled our March Cuba cruise and booked Seabourn at a $2600.00 savings. Our cancellation fee was $50.00 per person. I just couldn’t justify the high cost of Cuba on the itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was big saving. How long was the cruise?

Maybe Seabourn are offering more competitive prices, as many cruisers didn't consider them thinking they were too expensive.

It was the pricing and itinerary that convinced us to make the switch to Seabourn. Plus, I just disliked the AZ policy of not giving those who booked in advance any type of consideration to upgrade. I do want to sail on Azamara in the future. However, it will be on a last minute cruise deal.

Your new cruise sounds fabulous. Friends have raved about Seabourn so I'm sure you'll have a great time. All the included wines and liquors are premium quality and they said the food and service was fabulous.

Since there's no destination I absolutely have to sail to anymore, but enjoy being on a ship for the pure pleasure of sailing I think I'm going to save myself a lot of aggravation and turn into a last minute booker once these cruises are over.

Did you ask when $100 cancellation fee was introduced? Was the fee by a TA or Azamara?

Like Grandma Cruising, we loose our deposit in Australia as well. Our insurance policies don't cover this loss either, except for health reasons, etc. Another reason why I don't book ahead any more.

You do have to wonder how many genuine bookings cruise lines miss out on by over charging originally, against their competitors (both land and sea).

Azamara used to have a $25 per person cancellation fee. Two or three years ago they increased it to $50 per person.

I was scanning the Azamara website last night. Quite a few decreases in prices for sailings until around April 2018ish. Too bad I have sailings booked until the end of 2018 or I would be taking advantage. Interesting many 10 to 14 night sailings range from $2000 to $3000 or say $4000 (aud) for an 18 night. (Asia and Australia region). I turn to 2019 and surprise similar sailings are from $5,500 to $8,200. These are the from (inside room) prices.

I've been wanting to try Azamara. Lets just hope (for there sake) I don't book anything else for 2019 before they decide to reduce fares by 65%.

I was scanning the Azamara website last night. Quite a few decreases in prices for sailings until around April 2018ish. Too bad I have sailings booked until the end of 2018 or I would be taking advantage. Interesting many 10 to 14 night sailings range from $2000 to $3000 or say $4000 (aud) for an 18 night. (Asia and Australia region). I turn to 2019 and surprise similar sailings are from $5,500 to $8,200. These are the from (inside room) prices.

I've been wanting to try Azamara. Lets just hope (for there sake) I don't book anything else for 2019 before they decide to reduce fares by 65%.

This is why I leave spaces in my diary so I can take up these cruise offers, at reasonable prices. I always work out the cost per day and take in to account the cost of airfares. I'll have to look what is on offer for 2018.

2019 is a long time ahead to book a cruise.

You may have noticed the CEO said the company has increased tariffs 100% since he joined the company. As our dollar is only worth 75% of US dollar, it is up to Aussies to be astute purchasers if they wish to continue cruising frequently to exotic places.

Edited by MMDown Under

This is why I leave spaces in my diary so I can take up these cruise offers, at reasonable prices. I always work out the cost per day and take in to account the cost of airfares. I'll have to look what is on offer for 2018.

2019 is a long time ahead to book a cruise.

You may have noticed the CEO said the company has increased tariffs 100% since he joined the company. As our dollar is only worth 75% of US dollar, it is up to Aussies to be astute purchasers if they wish to continue cruising frequently to exotic places.

I completely understand 2019 is too far ahead to book a cruise. Haha yes I do try and keep gaps but I simply had too many trips I wanted to do :). I found reasonable fares so not complaining at all about my specific circumstance.

I appreciate all cruise lines price sailings over 12months out at 30 to 40% increase to allow for various promotions and specials. However pricing a cruise in (early) 2019 for $7300aud that is on sale for $2800aud in early 2018 only devalues the product in my opinion. CEO might claim tariffs have increased by 100%. However going off these latest sales I beg to differ.

I completely understand 2019 is too far ahead to book a cruise. Haha yes I do try and keep gaps but I simply had too many trips I wanted to do :). I found reasonable fares so not complaining at all about my specific circumstance.

I appreciate all cruise lines price sailings over 12months out at 30 to 40% increase to allow for various promotions and specials. However pricing a cruise in (early) 2019 for $7300aud that is on sale for $2800aud in early 2018 only devalues the product in my opinion. CEO might claim tariffs have increased by 100%. However going off these latest sales I beg to differ.

I took it to mean the 100% increase was money the cruise line actually received, when the ship sailed, not "wish list" "pie in the sky" fares for the future.

So the cancellation fee was $50pp ($100 for two)? I think $25 pp is reasonable to cover the paperwork.

It's not about paperwork. A few years ago there was an issue at Oceania of a ring of cruisers who would book multiple bottom-price cabins (beyond the capacity of an R-ship) and wait for the line to offer free or cheap upgrades; if they got an upgrade they cruised [in one cabin, cancelling all the others], otherwise they cancelled all the bookings just before final payment. This was seriously disrupting Oceania's marketing [and driving many possible passengers away because the interior cabins appeared to be 'fully booked']. Oceania eventually banned those cruisers, but it has probably led all small-ship cruise lines to use penalties to prevent 'just hoping' bookings that tie up inventory.

It's not about paperwork. A few years ago there was an issue at Oceania of a ring of cruisers who would book multiple bottom-price cabins (beyond the capacity of an R-ship) and wait for the line to offer free or cheap upgrades; if they got an upgrade they cruised [in one cabin, cancelling all the others], otherwise they cancelled all the bookings just before final payment. This was seriously disrupting Oceania's marketing [and driving many possible passengers away because the interior cabins appeared to be 'fully booked']. Oceania eventually banned those cruisers, but it has probably led all small-ship cruise lines to use penalties to prevent 'just hoping' bookings that tie up inventory.

Interesting that people would book a number of cabins not intending to actually cruise on them. I can see that would be a problem on a small ship.

Is that why some cruise lines ask for such huge deposits? When I saw the large deposits (unrefundable to Aussies), I didn't make a booking on a cruise I was keen to cruise on.

I had heard a similar story before and I know it still happens on some cruise lines. I don't book a cruise until I fully plan on following through with my plans. I know things change in life and there are valid reasons for canceling. We all end up paying a price for other people's scheming.

It also happens on Azamara. On a recent cruising we met a guest who had many booked but will not be taking them all. She’s waiting to see the price drops on them were her words. She was encouraging us to do likewise.

We explained in the UK we cannot do that without loss of deposit and benefits.

On one hand I was annoyed at her behaviour on the other I could see how she had developed a booking method and pattern to choose what cruises she sailed on based on what as an American she was allowed to do.

I really wish Azamara would take the short term flack and have a global cancellation policy and a global price drops policy.

It would smooth out the unnecessary spikes in booking and rebooking activity, make revenue management predictions more realistic and send out a very clear “we play fair” message to guests and travel partners

It also happens on Azamara. On a recent cruising we met a guest who had many booked but will not be taking them all. She’s waiting to see the price drops on them were her words. She was encouraging us to do likewise.

We explained in the UK we cannot do that without loss of deposit and benefits.

On one hand I was annoyed at her behaviour on the other I could see how she had developed a booking method and pattern to choose what cruises she sailed on based on what as an American she was allowed to do.

I really wish Azamara would take the short term flack and have a global cancellation policy and a global price drops policy.

It would smooth out the unnecessary spikes in booking and rebooking activity, make revenue management predictions more realistic and send out a very clear “we play fair” message to guests and travel partners

Totally agree Ann, unfortunately it’s going to be a brave decision to implement such a policy with the risk of losing business.

We were once told on Azamara that here in the U.K. we had non refundable deposits as too many passengers were making multiple bookings and then cancelling at the last minute, however I find this hard to believe as since we started cruising in 2003 deposits have always been non refundable.

However now there’s a big question as to the legality of non refundable deposits, in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 if a company retains a deposit and then resells the same accommodation therefore making double profit its illegal, following article makes interesting reading http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/24/crackdown-on-unfair-company-tcs-spells-the-end-of-non-refundable/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there are several pieces of UK legislation coming down the tracks that will affect cruise companies and travel agents. From January 2018 no surcharges for using credit cards (that’s going to affect TAs) and OFCOM about to give a final determination on the use of 0844 numbers and the need to provide a non premium related number for customer service calls.

Interesting times ahead. I hope Azamara is proactive in being compliant and lead the way in how they treat all guests on an equal footing rather than be pushed into compliance by challenging guests

Edited by uktog

Thanks Bonnie. I was afraid of that. So now I'm wondering if I should cancel at the last minute and then rebook after final payment when the rate goes down or additional benefits are offered. I guess I'll wait until closer to final payment to determine what I'll do.

I had to cancel an Azamara Cruise to Cuba for November of 2018. They have yet to send us back our deposit, but they charged us $100 for a cancellation fee. I have been on 37 cruises, and had to cancel a few, but never was charged a fee for cancelling, and this is 14 months before the cruise. What a ripoff!

Appears consistent with RCCL policies for RCI and Celebrity. Too many people booking early and cancelling. Raises the price for all of us.

Appears consistent with RCCL policies for RCI and Celebrity. Too many people booking early and cancelling. Raises the price for all of us.

Not sure a $50 cancellation fee would impact my decision whether to cancel, especially if a better deal came along. At this point, Azamara is as likely to cancel my cruise as I am to cancel my booking. :rolleyes:

I've noticed this too of late and I hate it. Aside from the fact that you can't apply for the LCV upgrade with a guarantee rate, more often than not these days I go for a cat 05 Oceanview cabin because I like the location and a guarantee OV would probably put me in one of those nearer the front under show lounge and near the anchor or one of the obstructed view cat 08s. Neither of which I would want. It seems to be a bit of a game with the prices these days and I don't really understand the rules that are being played to. Well at least that is how I feel.

Phil

I too hate this game they are playing. We are on the Quest in January on two back-to-back cruises. We have over 50 cruises under are belt, but never sailed on Azamara. We opted for a guarantee inside and now the verandahs are the same price. They are refusing to upgrade us to a guarantee verandah which all the other lines we've sailed with will graciously do for us if we contact them. This applies to Oceania, Seaborne, Holland America, Princess, etc.

I agree. Azamara is losing business because of this policy. We switched to Seabourn because they lowered their rates 6 months out. Their booked cruisers were able to upgrade or lower their rates without cancelling and rebooking. I have been on 36 cruises. This is my first Seabourn. Now that I am on the CC Seabourn boards, I’m seeing lots of former Azamara past passengers.

Can I ask if there's a reason why you cancelled. I was looking at one of these November Cuba cruises. We've never cruised on AZ and I thought we'd try a 4 dayer to get a feel, and, also, the price seemed pretty reasonable (a little less than Norwegian Sky ... that's with the inside at the same price as balcony promo.).

I just wanted to wait a bit to book anything to Cuba.

Can I ask if there's a reason why you cancelled. I was looking at one of these November Cuba cruises. We've never cruised on AZ and I thought we'd try a 4 dayer to get a feel, and, also, the price seemed pretty reasonable (a little less than Norwegian Sky ... that's with the inside at the same price as balcony promo.).

I just wanted to wait a bit to book anything to Cuba.

But if you had been in the UK, you would have been charged £500 aka $650 at todays exchange rate so count yourself lucky it was $100. This automatic loss of our deposit apples even two years out. I am sure UK guests would be very happy of harmonisation of conditions that led to us only losing $100 if we had to cancel.