Rome and Amalfi Coast

subaru94

Hi, we are coming in on the Sapphire Princess 25th April 2018, thinking of staying in rome either 1 night or 2 nights then going to Amalfi Coast for 2-3 days, we are then going to fly to England to visit our cousin. My question is 1 night enough for Rome or 2 nights, and can we do the Amalfi Coast in 2 days please?

The amount of time in a location depends on your interest in what is there. I (and many others here) have spent the equivalent of months in Rome over the years and I still have only scratched the surface of what interests me there. Others see the Colosseum and a couple of other sites and they are ready to move on.

As for the Amalfi Coast, it takes a long time to get there and unless you're willing to spend great amounts of money doing so (for a private car service, for example, or a private water transfer), a fair amount of time is eaten up in transit. I personally can't imagine going through all that for just one or two days there, but that's me.

If I'm seeing the correct itinerary, it appears you have a port call in Naples on April 24th. Why not do your Amalfi Coast tour that day? You can get a very good overview of the coast in a one-day tour. You could then spend more time in Rome after you disembark.

We agree with Euro Cruiser's assessment. On short visits one is well advised to minimize the time lost by transiting from one place (and hotel) to another place. Just the hassle of checking out, transit, checking in...etc. can eat up most of a valuable day. Since you will likely be flying out of FCO (Rome's airport) we think that spending all your nights in Rome makes the most sense. You might want to consider a short day trip out of Rome to a place like Tivoli or Orvieto, but trying to squeeze in an Amalfi Coast visit would not be an efficient use of your time. Personally, we like to spend a week on the Amalfi Coast....but one can see much of that area on a 3-5 day visit. So, as suggested, you might want to do an Amalfi Coast tour during your Naples port stop...and perhaps consider a longer visit sometime in the future.

Hank

Another option... If you are indeed in Naples on April 24th, consider disembarking there. You would need to notify Princess well in advance to obtain permission.

Disembarking in Naples would eliminate traveling from Civitavecchia to Rome and RT transportation between Rome and the Amalfi Coast. It would also give you an additional day on either the coast or in Rome.

Thank you for feedback, really appreciate it. Hadn't thought about disembarking in Naples, we are travelling with friends, so may stay in Rome couple of days then travel down to the Amalfi Coast and spend 5 days there.
You might want to consider flying out of Naples to England rather than Rome. We've flown out of NAP and found it to be easier than FCO.

You might want to consider flying out of Naples to England rather than Rome. We've flown out of NAP and found it to be easier than FCO.

Thank you we have decided to spend 2 nights in Rome, my cousin will fly into Naples and we will get the train to Naples then Sorrento, stay 5 nights and fly out of Naples as you suggested thank you, so looking forward to our trip.:)