Need recommendations on Western Caribbean excursions

zippydoda1

Western Caribbean itinerary includes

Grand Cayman

Mahogany Bay, Roatan

Belize

Cozumel

2 adults 4 kids ages 11-9 with interests of beach, ruins, swim with dolphins, possible other low key but family friendly stops. Adults don't need to have alcoholic drinks and no high adventure so that's not a factor. Since several of the ports have the same or similar excursions I'm finding it hard to balance which ports to do what excursion AND to keep the costs reasonable. We'd like to limit our excursions to 2 if possible. 3 is max!

Which ruins would be best for us?

What about swimming with the dolphins?

Both Carnival and non Carnival excursion recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much

This is my thoughts on these ports... having been a few times we usually opt to do the following:

Grand Cayman, we make a right when we get off the ship and walk the couple blocks to Eden Rock Dive Center. There you can rent lockers/snorkel equipment cheap (or bring your own like we do for free and just rent the locker) and snorkel Devils grotto right off their docks. Hubby will sometimes book diving here too. This is really neat when tarpin and silver sides are in, amazing to see!

Cozumel. Hop a cheap Taxi to The Money Bar just a few miles up the coast and enjoy a few snacks and a couple cokes and then have free use of their beach area, lockers, clean bathrooms, snorkel rental equipment (or again use our own for free). Snorkel right off the shore.

Both these are a good economical way to enjoy the day for little cost.

Belize and Roatan you can actually walk right to beach areas from the ship.

Belize and Roatan you can actually walk right to beach areas from the ship.

That might be a little hard to do in Belize, since you have to take a tender from the ship to the port. But while your there, stop at the Wet Lizard for lunch and a drink at their second story bar & restaurant.

Not much to do in the port but shopping, but don't venture out of the port on your own. Not the most secure port in the carribean.

I heartily agree especially since you have the kids with you. It might be a good idea to have a discussion about how poorer countries live though. We passed some very poor run down places and the guides are often very honest about the poverty level. It shook a few of the adults who had never ventured further than a beach in the Caribbean.

Shar

That might be a little hard to do in Belize, since you have to take a tender from the ship to the port. But while your there, stop at the Wet Lizard for lunch and a drink at their second story bar & restaurant.

Not much to do in the port but shopping, but don't venture out of the port on your own. Not the most secure port in the carribean.

LOL, meant once off on shore ;)

For the ages you have listed, my recommendation would be:

Grand Cayman: Something that includes stingrays definately. Maybe even a tour of the turtle farm, stingray swim and a stop at the town called H-E-L-L.

Mahogany Bay- take the kids to the FREE beach right there at port.

Belize- I would recommend the ruins closest to the port called Altun Ha. Usually you can choose just Altun Ha or Altun Ha with the River Wallace ( where you ride in a boat down the river to see wildlife like spider monkeys too.)

Cozumel- This would be an anything goes port if you are game. There are beaches like Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos and Playa Mia that seem to cater to both kids and adults. Dolphin swims can be found here and it's just as great just to chill and shop too at the port.

For the ages you have listed, my recommendation would be:

Grand Cayman: Something that includes stingrays definately. Maybe even a tour of the turtle farm, stingray swim and a stop at the town called H-E-L-L.

Mahogany Bay- take the kids to the FREE beach right there at port.

Belize- I would recommend the ruins closest to the port called Altun Ha. Usually you can choose just Altun Ha or Altun Ha with the River Wallace ( where you ride in a boat down the river to see wildlife like spider monkeys too.)

Cozumel- This would be an anything goes port if you are game. There are beaches like Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos and Playa Mia that seem to cater to both kids and adults. Dolphin swims can be found here and it's just as great just to chill and shop too at the port.

Thanks for the suggestions! For the dolphin swims, can you do that at the beach without buying an excursion ahead of time? A couple of our kids are on the fence about doing the dolphin swim, so it would be nice if they could decide when they are there vs paying lots of money that won't be utilized!

At Roatan there is a place called Daniels Sloth hangout... you can contact by Facebook. For $20 pp they will pick you up just outside the port and he has a sloth and monkey rescue where you can hold a sloth and hangout with monkeys. They can take you to a beach afterwards or back to the port beach.

Thanks for the suggestions! For the dolphin swims, can you do that at the beach without buying an excursion ahead of time? A couple of our kids are on the fence about doing the dolphin swim, so it would be nice if they could decide when they are there vs paying lots of money that won't be utilized!

Hi again. My family and I have not personally visited the dolphin swims, but know others that did. These dolphin swims are usually one of the first excursions that sell out in the past, so yes, it is something to purchase ahead of time.

Here is a carnival excursion link for Cozumel for you to review and look at:

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel

(If I do remember correctly someone on the boards a while back booked a dolphin excursion through Chankanaab National park there, but I can't remember too much on how it went.)

You might want to check out the Port of Call boards and see what is recommended over there for each port as well.

For Grand Cayman, I highly recommend swimming with the stingrays. Do not do it through Carnival though. We went with Captain Marvin's. They took probably no more than 15 or twenty of us in a cabin cruiser out to the area. There were two crew members that got in the water with us and showed us how to feed them. The captain of the boat even took one of the rays and was giving back rubs with it. They feel just like a big piece of rubber and they rub up against you like a pet dog does. By the way, the water is only waist deep where they are.

Carnival's excursion pulled up fairly close to us. It was a two decker boat that had probably more than 100 people on it. It looked like a free for all when they all got in the water. Stick with a private company on this excursion.

After we left the stingrays, they took us to another spot for snorkeling. When we got back in the boat, they sprayed us down with warm water to clean off the salt water.

Captain Marvin will take your credit card number to hold the reservations but won't charge you until you show up. If the ship doesn't stop there because of weather, you won't get charged for it.

I have done western Caribbean cruise two times (Cozumel a few more times) I don't drink so that has never been part of the equation.

the first time we went, we lived it up-we traveled with friends, and we tried to make the water folks (us) and the land people (the other couple) happy

Cozumel- the guys did a snorkel excursion, and my girl friend and I did a tour of the island. I think was had more fun than the guys.

Grand Cayman-the submarine, by far one of the best excursions we have done anywhere.

Belize-the water folks went to Goff's Cay-pure heaven=the land folks stayed on board.

Roatan-Mahogany Bay has sand bar issues, so we docked at Coxen Hole, DH and I were out of funds, so we wandered the port, and enjoyed an empty ship, the land folks went and saw the monkeys, where upon our friend was bitten by one on the ear, took out a chunk, not the best experience.

And then DH and I cruised again on the cheap and had even a better time

Cozumel-we did a day pass at El Cid, for 20.00 bucks each, it's a three block walk from the ship, and there is a 10 dollar food credit with that 20.00, the price has gone up since that trip. great snorkeling, nice pool and hot tub.

Belize-we walked a few blocks to the museum, this is where the treasures that were taken from Altun Ha are, really enjoyed this. Cost 5.00.

Roatan-get up early and enjoy that Mahogany Bay beach! free

Grand Cayman-we walked off the tender, went to the first dive flag we saw, and since the ocean is free they allow snorkelers to just "snork" from their dock. We walked up there with a friend from our roll call, and while she and DH felt guilty for doing any thing for free, they rented flippers-cost 3.00.

So a great cruise spending only 28.00 bucks each.

As far as dolphin swims I have no interest -love dolphins, but to spend just a few minutes in the water with them, and paying as much as that excursion costs, it has never been one of the things I must do. that said, they do fill up fast, they happen rain or shine, you cannot wear any sunscreen in the water near them, and if you want to do it, book now!

In Grand Cayman you should definitely do the stingray sandbar! It's an experience like no other, and you don't have to be a strong swimmer -- your kids would be able to just stand in the water.

In Roatan we always just use the free beach. It's specifically for cruise passengers and it really is a nice beach. There are some restaurants and massage stands and such scattered about there.

In Cozumel we always do one of the beach clubs.

The best excursion we've ever done in Belize was a snorkeling excursion. Belize is on the second largest barrier reef in the world, and the reef was absolutely amazing.

I've been to all of these ports once & Coz 3x. I will share what we've done:

Roatan- Booked with Bodden Tours & went to the monkey/sloth hangout. The tour also took us to Banarama resort for a couple hours of beach time. Based on what you're into, I would recommend this. The kids (& adults) adored the animal time & the beach wasn't my #1, but it was nice enough that I'd go again. This was also fairly budget friendly. I think maybe $30ish each including transportation.

Belize- Booked cavetubing.bz. It is on the adventurous side, but I highly recommend it. The ride to anywhere in Belize is long, but you really get to see the country & how they live. It was very interesting. The kids loved the hike thru the little rainforest. My son ate a termite. They got iodine "tattoos" & they really were fascinated by learning about rainforests. The actual cave tubing is relaxing. You just sit in the tube & get pulled thru. The caves were AWESOME imho. We all really enjoyed it. The tour included lunch as well.

Grand Caymen- We hit the sea turtle farm. Very cute & geared towards kids & families. There is some informationso sessions aboit sea turtles & then you are free to wall the grounds & see the little aquarium. There is a lagoon type thing where you can snorkel with sea turtles & I believe some sting rays may have been in there. My kids are moderate swimmers & were able to snorkel the whole course. There is also a pool & water slide area that the kids loved. This was booked through Carnival & IIRC, about $30.

Cozumel- we've done Pasion Island which the kids liked. They made great use of the floating bouncy toys in the ocean. We've also done Nachi Cocum. Kids loved the pool. Beach was nice & food was decent. Easy to reach by cab & the ride wasnt expensive. The port area also has some food opportunities & lots of shopping. I've never done dolphin excursions but I do know Coz offers lots of options for that.

Mahogany Bay, Roatan: Zip lining! I went with Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy Zipline and love love loved it!

Belize: We did cave kayaking. I'm not sure if your 9 yo is capable, but I highly recommend it over tubing. A much more active and was more interesting to us than being pulled through a cave by others. However, not a relaxing day.

And I just want to make a plug to never ever do a dolphin swimming excursion: http://us.whales.org/issues/swimming-with-dolphins