Toiletries - how do you pack them and how much do you bring?

lbjen

Travel sizes, mostly-used-up-stuff, whatever I have (I don't decant, either, Mrs. P!)

Toiletries are cheap, so it seems like a lot of effort to save a few pennies of product.

The one exception: Make-up foundation. I use a specialty product that's tinted to cover eczema, and it's moderately expensive ... plus I like to bring a couple shades (for after I pick up some sun).

Toiletries are cheap, so it seems like a lot of effort to save a few pennies of product.

I tend to decant more to get the BOTTLE I want than the product I want. I'm not sure how decanting is saving or spending money, really.....

We're all different, right? ;p

We very rarely cruise for less than three weeks, so travel sizes just won't cut it for me.

I bring what I need for face & hair (I have fairly long, very thick, very curly hair and it's very particular about what I put on it!) ... for just about everything else, I just bring what I need for one or two days. Travel sizes, mostly-used-up-stuff, whatever I have (I don't decant, either, Mrs. P!)

We always go down a day or two early, and we find a store to stock up on whatever toiletries we need, for as long as we need them. Wal-Mart, Target, CVS ... wherever ... we have gotten pretty good at knowing how much to buy. We've also learned over the years what ports have good places to replenish supplies. We leave most of the used toiletries behind when we disembark, except for my hair & face products.

See now right there is a huge difference. I have very fine ( now shoulder lenghth) hair. I can't use anything too heavy on it but have to wash it everyday or it will look like an oil slick. So i have travel size bottles i fill with stuff from home. I reuse these bittles over and over trip after trip. A regular size bottle would be over kill, for me as it lasts me 2 to 3 months!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Congrats on a 2 week vacation - so much better than just a week - you have time to really relax. I carry a small bag dedicated to toiletries when we don't fly, which is most of the time. That makes packing in the hotel so much easier because DH can take clothes suitcases, cooler, etc to the car while I pack toiletries. I also pack electronics separately in a briefcase for the same reason and usually pack those at the same time. Then DH does a sweep through the room and bathroom before we leave to make sure nothing was forgotten. I take my own full size conditioner but use the hotel/cruise shampoo. Full size lotion (but the bottle I use is smaller) Minimum makeup and hair products, DH & I share shaving cream during trips to save packing room, razors with enough blades to last the trip (important as other countries don't carry blades that fit our razors). The first aid kit goes in that toiletries bag too. I use prepackaged pads for fingernail polish remover but carry one or two polish colors with me - I do my own nails rather than take time to get a mani/pedi. Oh, and liquids in ziplocks.

When we fly for a cruise we go the day before and go shopping to get liquids - usually smaller size then leave whatever is remaining when we have to get back on a plane.

I don't carry extra for a long trip - just go shopping along the way. I am typically using products bought all other the world!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

A little update after the trip: I ended up packing 3 separate toiletry bags rather than just buying a larger one (we had several lying around). I decanted our usual shampoos, conditioners and shower gels into 3 oz bottles, I used travel size bottles we still had from other trips for things like hair gel, shave gel and toothpaste etc, I packed a bunch of sample size skin care items I had, and brought a pared down set of my usual makeup. I only needed to buy nail polish remover while on the ship because the remover pads I packed weren't cutting it. Everything else lasted as it needed to, and I wasn't missing anything.

• 1 month later...

Since I didn't see eye make up remover in this thread, I'll add my two cents worth. A few years ago, right before a trip, I realized that my travel sized container of eye make up remover pads was almost empty. I filled it with cotton balls and poured make up remover on top. The next day, make sure the cotton balls are still soaked. If not, add more remover. This works like a charm! Just make sure there are enough cotton balls for your entire trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suggest anyone try the Lush solid shampoos. One bar will last months. They are my go-to shampoo when I travel since I was turned on to Lush back in 1998. I'm partial to the Godiva and Karma Koomba ones myself. You have to try them beforehand so you figure out how much to use, and which works best for your hair. I have my eyes on two new ones, the Brazilliant and the Avocado Co-Wash. I'm going to pick them up today - I'm making my monthly trip down the mountain to the "big city" for my stocking up on stuff that I can't get up the mountain.

@Slidergirl Where do you find this Lush solid shampoo? How big (heavy) are the bars? I would be interested in trying this!

I'm not Slidergirl...but you can purchase Lush products at their stand alone stores, or order online at their site (I think Amazon also carries some of their products).

Shampoo Bars

http://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/

Lush Store Locator

http://www.lushusa.com/Stores-Locate

I'm not Slidergirl...but you can purchase Lush products at their stand alone stores, or order online at their site (I think Amazon also carries some of their products).

Shampoo Bars

http://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/

Lush Store Locator

http://www.lushusa.com/Stores-Locate

Thanks! I got a late start today. I did buy a Brazilliant bar yesterday. It's 2" diameter circle, and 1/2" thick. And, I think it weighs about the same as my 2oz bottle of Bumble & Bumble conditioner. I have the carrying tin for it - Lush sells them. You don't need it - a baggie would work.

Lush is sold around the world; I visited my first Lush store in Calgary. Since then, I've been to Lush in Prague, Las Vegas, Victoria, BC, Paris...

How did I not know about this wonder??? I must live in a cave!

(Actually, I don't, and in fact have 3-4 of their stores within a half-hour drive. Thanks ladies!)

danger, danger, danger! I will go in there for one thing and come out with four!!! The current fave that I picked up is the "Cup 'o Coffee" face & body mask. I just use it on my face. It leaves my face feeling amazingly soft. AND the coffee scent does good for waking me up!

• 2 months later...

I have a hanging toiletry bag that I use for longer trips and of course then I bring more stuff. But -- especially if I'm doing carry-on only -- I have been known to order the sample packets from Paula's Choice for sunscreen, moisturizer, cleanser, body wash/shampoo combo, foundation, etc. One packet sometimes lasts me more than one use.

I have also been known to buy ** from craft stores ** empty lip balm containers, or travel shampoo/etc bottles. They cost way more in the travel size section of big box stores or drug stores. I use the lip balm containers mainly for hair product and haven't tested those with liquids.

I use a combination of travel size items (toothpaste, shave cream, toothpaste) and samples that I accumulate from my Sephora/Nordstrom habit. Samples of perfume and mini-mascara or lipsticks.

My cosmetics all fit into smaller than a lunch bag size.

But---hair and skin care is another story.

I can use any shampoo. But I bring for hair (decanted into small size):

Moroccan oil

Moisturizing conditioner

Aveda anti-humectant

spray sun/chlorine protectant if swimming in ocean/pool

Ouidad Wave Texture Taffy when I want to go wavy/beachy in climates where straightening is hopeless

I have very thick wavy hair that is coarse and goes frizzy in humidity.

Skin care (currently using mostly Rodan + Fields, also decanted into small containers)

Face wash (in a little pot-only need a couple drops AM & PM)

Ponds in a little tub for make up removal or disposable wipes.

Toner

Retinol and Vitamin C brightening complex (day-time)

Under eye serum--one for day and one for night

Intensive Renewing Serum (night-time)

Sunscreen for body (DH packs this as he has less product)

Laroche-Posay Anthelios 60 sunscreen for face

Body lotion (Unless I know whatever is provided will work)

Lash boost (R+F)

Once I put this all in little containers it will fit in a quart bag. I use a Truffle Clarity Pouch Small TSA approved).

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing someone open up their bag to discover a full sized bottle of shampoo had been shattered probably by other heavy bags being crammed in on top of it I never carry full sized even if driving. If nothing else if it gets left I'm not out an entire bottle of whatever. Yeah you can buy toiletries wherever but who wants to spend their vacation buying toiletries?

By exploring solid or dry options I've really slimmed down my toiletry bag. I buy Lush shampoo and conditioning bars and cut off the right amount to put a piece of each in one soap bar container. My spouse is picky so there is always an additional soap bar container with a bar of his favorite. I have a hard plastic mini facial bar container I got years ago from Clinic and now that I can never find the mini travel bars I just cut an end off a full sized bar after it has been used long enough to be slim enough for the mini container.

For toner and nail polish remover I just wet some cotton balls and place them in a labeled snack-sized zip bag.

My Freedom Baggie gets 3 oz body lotion, 3 oz contact lense solution, 3 one ounce tubs with foundation, primer, and facial lotion, a sample 1 load liquid laundry detergent packet, and a couple of lip stains. Everything else is dry like eye shadow.

• 4 months later...

Frequently use travel sized shampoo and conditioner but for last holiday..land based.. used sachets of shampoo, as a friend had suggested them. They worked really well.

I had used Princess shampoo, followed by a heavy duty conditioner in January..and it just did not work for my hair.!!! The sachets were a much better option.

When I go into town, I shall try Lush solid shampoo and conditioner.

Estee Lauder / Mac/ Clinique offer 10 day trial samples of their foundations which they will give out on request (usually purchase some products before asking for sample pot but not actually required.)

Other items I decant into smaller plastic jars, travel sizes or hotel provided shampoo/ lotion/ conditioner tubes which are packed in Ziploc type bags..just in case.

Consider taking a half-used tube and dumping what is left to give extra weight allowance on return.

P20/ P30(or similar) is a useful type of sunscreen which only needs to be applied once a day..more expensive to start with but cheaper overall as you don't need to re apply. May not work for all, but does for us.

Bon Voyage.