Room service etiquette - What do we do with tray/plates when done? Standard cabin?

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

We've never had a problem either. Maybe it depends on the size of your order. :evilsmile:

You're probably correct, my order is likely bigger than your order. ;) In any case, there's never any space on the counter or the small table. So it's into the hallway for my dishes, but based on this thread I will start moving them 3 doors down the hallway.

I don't know if anyone remembers when people didn't carry food and drink all over the ship like it was a fast food restaurant. It really wasn't long ago that the elevators didn't smell like leftover food and drink and you could get on without having to dodge the plates and glasses.:eek: More evidence of Modern Luxury.

Sure, I remember. Back in 2006, one could easily find seats in OVC, Cova Cafe and the various lounges. Fast forward to 2013, when half the seats in Cafe al Bacio were taken - for hours - by people reading or sleeping, and many tables in OVC were “reserved” for ongoing card parties, even during lunch hours! By 2017 the indoor chair/table hogs had also appeared in lounges, and remained even after the music began. None of these people were eating or drinking, but they were occupying tables for long periods during peak operating times. Where would you have the rest of us go when we can’t find a table at which to enjoy our food and drinks?

Edited by Silkroad

Sure, I remember. Back in 2006, one could easily find seats in OVC, Cova Cafe and the various lounges. Fast forward to 2013, when half the seats in Cafe al Bacio were taken - for hours - by people reading or sleeping, and many tables in OVC were “reserved” for ongoing card parties, even during lunch hours! By 2017 the indoor chair/table hogs had also appeared in lounges, and remained even after the music began. None of these people were eating or drinking, but they were occupying tables for long periods during peak operating times. Where would you have the rest of us go when we can’t find a table at which to enjoy our food and drinks?

You must be incredibly unlucky. We started sailing on Celebrity in the early 90s and have 600+ days on board and have always found a table. Sometimes it takes a few minutes but we always find the table first and then get the food.

You must be incredibly unlucky. We started sailing on Celebrity in the early 90s and have 600+ days on board and have always found a table. Sometimes it takes a few minutes but we always find the table first and then get the food.

I wasn’t only speaking about myself. I usually manage, though in Cafe al Bacio I may need to carry my drinks to a nearby lounge that isn’t yet open. I meant that some people do carry food and drinks to their cabins for the reasons I noted.

You're probably correct, my order is likely bigger than your order. ;) In any case, there's never any space on the counter or the small table. So it's into the hallway for my dishes, but based on this thread I will start moving them 3 doors down the hallway.

Haha. You win. I'm sure you feel better now:rolleyes:.

Phil

Nope, sometimes we eat on the balcony and sometimes we use the small table in front of the sofa. Nether location is an acceptable location for the dirty dishes.

A difference in philosophy I guess. When I'm the one who makes the mess I feel it's my responsibility to make sure it gets picked up. That doesn't include leaving it in the hall for others to have to look at or perhaps trip over. That's not "acceptable".

A difference in philosophy I guess. When I'm the one who makes the mess I feel it's my responsibility to make sure it gets picked up. That doesn't include leaving it in the hall for others to have to look at or perhaps trip over. That's not "acceptable".

I'm sorry that your version of acceptable doesn't align with many if not most passengers that use room service. If Celebrity agreed with your definition of acceptable, I'm sure they would tell us.

I'm sorry that your version of acceptable doesn't align with many if not most passengers that use room service. If Celebrity agreed with your definition of acceptable, I'm sure they would tell us.

I definitely agree with Ma Bell on this. Passengers who place their dirty dishes in the hallway are fortunately a very small minority.

Probably the reason they haven't made a policy statement is because most people don't need to be told. When room service is delivered they always ask to be called to pick up the tray. Fortunately almost everyone has enough sense to keep the tray in their cabin. I guess with the changing passenger mix, they may need to start.

Probably the reason they haven't made a policy statement is because most people don't need to be told. When room service is delivered they always ask to be called to pick up the tray. Fortunately almost everyone has enough sense to keep the tray in their cabin. I guess with the changing passenger mix, they may need to start.

The don’t always ask to be called to pick up the tray, they didn’t ask us to do so. We do leave the trays in the room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They didn't have to publish a policy because people didn't leave their trays in the hall. They also didn't have to publish that people would be charged for pool towels if they go missing because no one was taking them although there was usually a note in the cabin saying the same thing. Seems things are changing a bit. :(

Evidence does not seem to support your assertion. I'll need to get a picture from my next cruise. I suspect that people that keep the trays in their room may also be wearing tuxes to Chic nights.

Evidence does not seem to support your assertion. I'll need to get a picture from my next cruise. I suspect that people that keep the trays in their room may also be wearing tuxes to Chic nights.

What evidence is that? Be sure to get a picture for me because I don't have enough experience to have seen for myself.:rolleyes:Be sure to patrol all the decks.

What evidence is that? Be sure to get a picture for me because I don't have enough experience to have seen for myself.:rolleyes:Be sure to patrol all the decks.

Sure I'll get some pictures. First the argument was it was a problem because lots of people left their trays in the cabin, now it seems to have changed to just a few un-educated passengers. I won't need to go far to find pictures.

My first choice would be if a scooter is left in the hallway every night and maybe run over people and things (with the exception of fake service dogs) is to leave tray and plates on the scooter seat.

Then call security and have everything removed.

PS. DW sometimes has to use a wheelchair onboard, which is always stored in the cabin, overnight

+1. Great idea!

DON

Sure I'll get some pictures. First the argument was it was a problem because lots of people left their trays in the cabin, now it seems to have changed to just a few un-educated passengers. I won't need to go far to find pictures.

True, you can just take photos of yours.;)

We always have left the dishes in our cabin. That being said, in 20 years of cruising and using room service we have never been asked to call for tray pick up on Celebrity or any other cruise line. They've always dropped the tray and quickly left.

I've been guilty of sitting at a table for hours, but I usually keep an eye out and leave when it starts to get busy. This will be the fourth cruise I've taken while in school (three during my BSN, and now working on MS Nursing Ed) so I'm usually studying. There was the one cruise I studied chemistry at a bar overlooking an atrium (I forget which line that was). Ugh--I was spread out all over the place.

Edited by PurpleHays
typo

We always have left the dishes in our cabin. That being said, in 20 years of cruising and using room service we have never been asked to call for tray pick up on Celebrity or any other cruise line. They've always dropped the tray and quickly left.

For many years they didn't say anything. I just recently noticed that they say call for a pickup. Maybe because there is only one cabin attendant now.

How to get your own back.

Take a room service breakfast card, fill it out with the obnoxios neighbour's cabin no. scribble a name (so it can't be read), then fill out the card with all the stuff you dislike and with the earliest possible delivery time. Late at night hand it on your neighbour's door.:evilsmile:

S it was you! We were on Silhouette in the Baltic and you were on the Connie (?) in the Med!

Just like Dragnet: "Just the facts ma'am" There isn't extra space for dirty dishes in a standard cabin. There is only a small table by the sofa and the countertops are full. Where do you suggest? If Celebrity wanted passengers to keep dirty dishes in the cabin or call for pick-up they would tell us. Feel free to call guest services to have my dishes in the hallway picked-up.

So where do you place the tray in your cabin while you are eating? You certainly found the space at that time.

With your reasoning, if they wanted passengers to leave dirty dishes in the hallway ( for others to look at or trip over) they would tell us to do so.

And you not only leave your tray in the hallway, you do not have the curtesy to call room service to pick it up. And you have no care about the safety of other passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So where do you place the tray in your cabin while you are eating? You certainly found the space at that time.

Since you asked... Usually I eat on the balcony or on the small table in the room. The tray or trays are either placed on the desk chair or the bed. Neither the chair or the bed are appropriate for storage of dirty dishes if you intend to do anything else in the cabin. Most people seem to leave them in the hallway and a few people are complaining because we do not follow their self-imposed rules. A tray is far less of an obstacle than the many carts, laundry bags or vacuums that are in the hallway most of the day.