is the specialty dining worth it?

fatjay

we are going on equinox next march we have been on princess and royal Caribbean and always bought the dining package but i am unsure if its worth buying on celebrity ? please let me know your thoughts thanks in advance

i like to eat at nice places and cost isn't a primary concern i don't like the up charge on certain items in certain restaurants i feel to charge to go and then to charge again for some menu items is a bit cheeky

we're on Eclipse in january, 14 day, got an email from X today - Make specialty dining reservations online before you sail and save.

3 dinner package (save up to 27%) , 4 dinner package (save up to 24%), 5 dinner package (save up to 38%)..

i was told that you have to reserve the 1st one when you sign up, and then actually reserve the others once onboard. Mike in CT

Where, when, and how would we find out about offers like that? haven't been on X since 2005. thanx.

You'll find staff from the specialty restaurants have tables set up outside the Oceanview Cafe at different times. Your best chance of getting a great price is to go on the first night. If you are prepared to either book several nights or take a group they're also more likely to offer deals. At least this has been our experience.

If you've always bought the dining package on other cruise lines then it would probably be worth it to you. We have tried most of the specialty restaurants but haven't gone in quite a few cruises.

We are not foodies so the draw isn't there for us. MDR food is fine with us, just not a fan of the crowds. Been in AQ class a couple of times and although not really a specialty restaurant it is a nice setting compared to the MDR.

enjoy, whatever you decide.

We never book specialty dining prior to the cruise. Our feeling is that if we are offered a fair price (deal) that we like, we'll eat at a specialty restaurant...otherwise we'll eat in our assigned dining room which is usually blu on M-class ships and the MDR on S-class ships (we book A1 on M-class and 1A on S-class). We find that on 80+% of our cruises, we are either offered or negotiate a pretty good deal....maybe $30 at Murano, sometimes BOGO if we have at least 6 people in our group. If we can't make a deal, it doesn't bother us....actually trying to get a deal can be one of your daily events :)

We have friends currently on the Silhouette - she texted me to say the MDR room sucked and she could only find good food in the specialty restaurants - well maybe an overstatement - but that was her opinion. I think we were spoiled by our Oceania cruise last year.

Anyway, as we had some OBC to use - I booked us a 4 night specialty dining package for our upcoming cruise - turns out to be about $30 per person per place - so not too bad a discount. I think the $50 per person in Murano seems pricey. Would I do it if we did not have OBC? Not sure - but I do like French food.

Also I've found this time around (sailed Celebrity 2x before) that I cannot find current menu photos in current threads and I've read some reviews that say the quality and variety of meals have declined in the MDR. I hope that is not true, but since we have 11 nights - it is nice to mix it up a bit.

Also I've found this time around (sailed Celebrity 2x before) that I cannot find current menu photos in current threads and I've read some reviews that say the quality and variety of meals have declined in the MDR. I hope that is not true, but since we have 11 nights - it is nice to mix it up a bit.

The meals in MDR have declined over time simply because of the Speciality options. The meals in the MDR were once of the quality now offered for extra $ elsewhere on board. If you have OBC to spend the options are there, but such a shame that the overall quality in the MDR has suffered to ensure the other venues are able to offer the menu they do. It is lovely to visit the Speciality dining for a quieter ambience and more individual service and that can be worth paying the extra for.

we are going on equinox next march we have been on princess and royal Caribbean and always bought the dining package but i am unsure if its worth buying on celebrity ? please let me know your thoughts thanks in advance

I can only speak to RCI and Celebrity but IMO overall the food on Celebrity is better than that of RCI. We don't dine any longer in the MDR on RCI opting for the specialty restaurants instead. We have eaten in the MDR with Celebrity on occasion and found it to be good, but also prefer the specialty restaurants overall on Celebrity as well. Just our tastes and cruising style.

The multi dining package prices are excellent value for money, especially when you can eat in Murano every night for $24/pp/pd. Also having the option to spend your obc prior to the cruise is a great advantage.

Without doubt the quality of the food served in the MDR has declined over the years, it's a shame but a fact.

We cruise Celebrity every year and eat in MDR every evening... . We are more than satisfied with the food and service in The MDR and therefore have never tried specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruise Celebrity every year and eat in MDR every evening... . We are more than satisfied with the food and service in The MDR and therefore have never tried specialty restaurants.

Albeit with RCI and not Celebrity, for years we ate only in the MDR as well and never saw the reason to eat elsewhere. But over time we felt there was a general decline in the quality with the MDR and felt the specialty restaurants were worth a shot. We then tried the specialty restaurants and have never looked back. Yes it is at a premium cost but the food quality and service is IMO far better. We feel the same now with Celebrity regarding the specialty restaurants. Not criticizing your choice but the key is to at least try one or two for yourself to see what you think after that.

To be sure, if this is your first X sailing, wait until you board to make that decision. You can 'usually' get some good discounts first night upon boarding.

Try one the first night, then decide if YOU believe it is worth it.

Like stated elsewhere in this thread, this question is not one which you can throw out there and get unanimous agreement like you can on many land based dining venues.

Gander at sample menus at X's website before boarding, to decide which you would like to try first, then do it and decide there...

One great suggestion, posted here on CC, if you choose Qsine, it is best tried with at least four (4) plus diners, BUT we have enjoyed it just being two (2) of us.

Do a search here on X as well about the dining venues and you will get a good flavour as to the 'diversity' of 'rich' and sometimes over seasoned opinions on Specialty Dining. LOL

bon appetite & bon voyage

We just disembarked Silhouette about a week and half ago after 24 days on board. IMO, the MDR was a huge hit or miss disappointment. We often found the food seriously lacking in taste. We didn’t buy any of the dining packages as we were able to find someone from the specialty restaurants standing outside Oceanview almost every morning offering seating if they had openings for that night, and we never ended up paying full price. Again, IMO, the specialty restaurants were light years ahead of the MDR in taste, and for that matter, atmosphere. The MDR has become a rat race to get people in and out. The seating setup, with double tables stacked next to each other with often less than a foot between them, appears to be designed to maximize minimum space. We actually found the “cook to order” options in the Oceanview in the evening to have much more taste than the MDR.

We never book specialty dining prior to the cruise. Our feeling is that if we are offered a fair price (deal) that we like, we'll eat at a specialty restaurant...otherwise we'll eat in our assigned dining room which is usually blu on M-class ships and the MDR on S-class ships (we book A1 on M-class and 1A on S-class). We find that on 80+% of our cruises, we are either offered or negotiate a pretty good deal....maybe $30 at Murano, sometimes BOGO if we have at least 6 people in our group. If we can't make a deal, it doesn't bother us....actually trying to get a deal can be one of your daily events :)

We are curious as to why you choose A1 on M-class and 1A on S-class ships. We agree with A1 on M-class, love Deck 11 and much prefer Blu to MDR. Is there a particular reason for avoiding Blu on S-class ships? We follow your posts and are always willing to learn. TIA.

Bill

We are curious as to why you choose A1 on M-class and 1A on S-class ships. We agree with A1 on M-class, love Deck 11 and much prefer Blu to MDR. Is there a particular reason for avoiding Blu on S-class ships? We follow your posts and are always willing to learn. TIA.

Bill

We like the larger balconies! We like blu, but generally it’s not worth the upgrade price over the 1A’s on s class ships