NEED SOME HELP, Stepping outside of the box.......

Lois R

Hello girls:)...... it will be my 60th birthday and although I ALWAYS cruise I am stepping outside of the box and doing

a land trip.......I am booking a trip to Ireland (have wanted to visit for many years). I am going with a tour company

that specializes in that area of the world and they have small groups (less than 16). I am very much looking forward

to it but I have some questions about the packing part:eek:......the trip is in March so I know it will be cool temps.......

I know I can wear the same pants on multiple days........and just switch tops. Walking shoes for the daytime and a

pair of black flats for evenings.......I REALLY don't want to over pack. I know on a cruise I unpack once and that is it...

but on a land trip, there will be multiple days of traveling.

I know some of you have done land trips over the years (I have been strictly cruising for the past 15 years)........and

I do have a cruise booked for the summer but this trip is definitely something new for me. We are staying at all 4/5

star properties and they all look lovely:)....it is a 9 night trip.

Any tips and/or information would be appreciated:)

Oh, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you:)

Layers Lois. Smartwool socks, waterproof jacket with hood, waterproof your walking shoes, merino wool sweater (or Smartwool). A couple of scarves. A couple of silk blouses & maybe a long skirt for evenings. Expect it to be cool & damp & gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't own anything in silk........I plan on being casual every day...so for evenings, black slacks

would work (rather than skirts).;)

But thanks for the layering tip.:):D

Figure out laundry.

Hi, figure out laundry? I am not doing laundry while I am on this trip. Guess I will just pack like I normally do......one checked bag and one carry on. (I don't do laundry on any of my vacations....but that is just me).

Edited by Lois R

Hi, figure out laundry? I am not doing laundry while I am on this trip. Guess I will just pack like I normally do......one checked bag and one carry on. (I don't do laundry on any of my vacations....but that is just me).

Got it. :D

On my mind packing light means doing laundry at least once.

Cold weather can be easier to pack for than hot.

I don’t do laundry on vacation either. I do bring technical fabrics, they layer well & insulate beautifully. I would do a land trip with one bag & a tote/large purse

Hi Lois -- congrats on your trip! I like to mix it up between cruises and land trips. But cruises definitely are easier in terms of just having to pack/unpack once. :)

Some tips I can pass along:

-- For 7-9 days, I'd stick to one color as a "basic" and have everything else coordinate. (For me, that basic is black, but it could be navy or brown or khaki...) That allows you to get away with fewer pairs of shoes, one purse, etc.

-- I don't use packing cubes, but for a trip like this many would recommend them to make it easier to pack and unpack without having to handle every single piece of clothing separately.

-- You can buy shoes that are waterproofed already, such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Womens-Coldpack-Waterproof-Black/dp/B01MXYP5O2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514768430&sr=8-5&keywords=waterproof+tennis+shoes+for+women Or these: https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Wave-Trek-Sneaker/dp/B07647B1GZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514768430&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+tennis+shoes+for+women

-- Also, I usually bring a fleece jacket and then a lightweight rain jacket with a hood that will fit over the fleece if needed. You can use them separately as needed and together they will keep you pretty warm.

Hi Lois -- congrats on your trip! I like to mix it up between cruises and land trips. But cruises definitely are easier in terms of just having to pack/unpack once. :)

Some tips I can pass along:

-- For 7-9 days, I'd stick to one color as a "basic" and have everything else coordinate. (For me, that basic is black, but it could be navy or brown or khaki...) That allows you to get away with fewer pairs of shoes, one purse, etc.

-- I don't use packing cubes, but for a trip like this many would recommend them to make it easier to pack and unpack without having to handle every single piece of clothing separately.

-- You can buy shoes that are waterproofed already, such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Womens-Coldpack-Waterproof-Black/dp/B01MXYP5O2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514768430&sr=8-5&keywords=waterproof+tennis+shoes+for+women Or these: https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Wave-Trek-Sneaker/dp/B07647B1GZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514768430&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+tennis+shoes+for+women

-- Also, I usually bring a fleece jacket and then a lightweight rain jacket with a hood that will fit over the fleece if needed. You can use them separately as needed and together they will keep you pretty warm.

Hi Cynthia, thanks for your reply:).....I will probably stick with black.........and I don't do the packing cubes either.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year:)

Check out a blog called Vivienne Files. She shows how to put together travel and regular wardrobes based on a few colors.

Hi,:) thanks for the suggestion.......I just googled it and it is way more information than I need.:eek: It looks way too complicated for me. I mean, if it works for her and others, that's great but there is too much for me to follow.

I know I need a couple of black pants for evenings with various tops......jeans for daytime.....and I can always use black

as my basic color.

Lois , I have done several land trips . For Ireland in March I would pack lots of warm layers . I went to Ireland in early September and it snowed so pack like mid -winter in New York . A warm jacket or a rain coat with a liner and layers like Alaska .I packed jeans , sweaters and long sleeved t shirts .At night it was casual so what you wore during the day was fine at night unless you were doing a special dining experience then black pants and a sweater would be fine.I bring one bag and then separate the clean from the dirty with a plastic barrier like a garbage bag.Make sure you pack socks .

Lois , I have done several land trips . For Ireland in March I would pack lots of warm layers . I went to Ireland in early September and it snowed so pack like mid -winter in New York . A warm jacket or a rain coat with a liner and layers like Alaska .I packed jeans , sweaters and long sleeved t shirts .At night it was casual so what you wore during the day was fine at night unless you were doing a special dining experience then black pants and a sweater would be fine.I bring one bag and then separate the clean from the dirty with a plastic barrier like a garbage bag.Make sure you pack socks .

Thanks so much...your suggestions sound like me. I have done Alaska multiple times so layering sounds good and

I love socks when it is cold out;) But I hope it does not snow...seriously, yikes.........hoping in March there is not snow.

Hi Lois,

Congrats on your upcoming special birthday and on making the decision for your celebratory trip. It all sounds fantastic! I remember your posts about this on the river cruise board. So for packing, what limits, if any, does the tour company place on luggage? That may determine what and how you will pack. I like your idea about black pants-that always seems to work and you can dress them up or down easily. Advice to layer is right on. Scarves are good for variety as well as warmth. An advantage to travel in cooler weather is you can easily wear clothing more than once.

March will be here before you know it. Enjoy the anticipation and every minute of your trip.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,:) I am waiting to hear back from the gal at the tour company. That should be this week and will ask her more

specifics about the luggage question. (They are closed today for the holiday).

I still keep thinking about a River Cruise and to be honest, I got some information recently but because I waited so last minute, my choices were very limited. You know the riverboats fill up VERY quickly. I was looking at Uniworld but

for the itinerary I wanted they only had ONE cabin left and it was the most expensive suite on the boat:eek:

A couple of thoughts:

Regarding evenings, I usually find that a land trip is not quite like a cruise, in that people don't necessarily "dress up" for dinner every night like on a cruise. Likely there will be a couple of evenings where you end up somewhere casual for dinner and your daytime clothes would be fine. Point is simply that you won't necessarily need, for example, 7 "evening" outfits for a 7 day trip. Even if you DO end up dressing a little nicer every single evening, if you are only wearing a particular top for a couple of hours for dinner, as long as you don't spill food on yourself, the same top can be worn 2, 3 or even 4 times. Either way, you should be able to really minimize what you pack for evenings.

For daytime, I'm a firm believer in mixing and matching around one basic neutral, which for me is always black. Choose a couple of bottoms that you can wear over and over. After that I'd pick maybe 2 really good sweaters that go with all the bottoms you chose. Then a variety of lightweight tops so you can have a clean one every day. I spent 8 days in Italy in October and packed a pair of jeans, a pair of black pants and a pair of black leggings. I had black and grey tunic tops for the leggings, and a few other short-sleeved tops and a lightweight sweater or two that worked with both the jeans and black pants. I found a great black wrap cardigan at Loft and wore that nearly every day as my outer layer. Packed my black all-weather jacket but never needed it (you will almost certainly, in Ireland). Wore one pair of shoes and packed another. Even with toiletries, underwear, etc. I fit everything in a 20" carry on and a tote bag. Granted I didn't pack additional clothes designated for "evening" but even if I had, I could have fit everything in just a slighter larger checked bag and my tote, and not needed 2 suitcases.

Hi Meg, thanks for the reply:).......I appreciate it and it sounds very good. I will get with the gal who has been helping me and ask her some more specific questions.........concerning the timing of things and maybe you are correct about not having to change clothes every night. That would definitely minimize the amount of clothing.

Save room for those beautiful Irish cable knit sweaters.

You might even consider buying one early in your visit and wearing it. You can even wear it home and remove it on the plane. I haven't been to Ireland in a very long time, but I recall at that time the sweaters were either hand-made or machine made (the latter being less expensive). Interesting story was that the different patterns on them made it easier to identify the person if he drowned at sea. :(

Hi Sally, short boots? You mean an ankle boot? It would be a waste of money for me....I would never wear them again.

(I am not a boot person).

Save room for those beautiful Irish cable knit sweaters.

You might even consider buying one early in your visit and wearing it. You can even wear it home and remove it on the plane. I haven't been to Ireland in a very long time, but I recall at that time the sweaters were either hand-made or machine made (the latter being less expensive). Interesting story was that the different patterns on them made it easier to identify the person if he drowned at sea. :(

Think twice about the fisherman knit sweaters. True story: I bought one years ago on a tour in Ireland. I wanted the real thing -- the hand-knit version in the natural undyed and untreated wool.

That sweater was so scratchy that I couldn't bear to wear it except under a turtleneck that fully protected my skin from touching it. And it was so very warm that the number of days I could potentially wear it in Atlanta were QUITE limited (especially with the turtleneck underneath).

I kept that thing for years because it was expensive and also a nice reminder of the trip. But I got very little wear out of it and eventually consigned it.

So .... since I know you are in Florida .... think carefully about it!