Does HAL have future cruise sales?

Cruising Jake

On Princess cruises you can pay a nominal deposit on a future cruise. You don't choose the exact cruise. You have two years to book an actual cruise. This future deposit also entitles you to a shipboard credit on the guture cruise.

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam on Nov. 27. I also want to book the Rotterdam for July 2, 2005. I will wait to book the 2005 cruise until the Nov. 27 if they have this future sale with a credit.

You can book a future cruise while aboard a ship but it must be a specific cruise on a specific date. You must place your deposit within a designated number of days in order to get your shipboard credit and to have the cabin held for you.

On our recent Maasdam cruise, there was no "future cruise consultant" aboard so they sent a flyer to every cabin. This flyer indicated an extension number you could call from you cabin telephone to Seattle (at no charge) and you could make a booking that way.

BTW -- With Princess you have four years to apply your deposit and use your booking. Or, you can get it refunded.You don't have to specify a future cruise, which I think is nice. We know which future cruise we want for 2005, but it would be nice if HAL followed Princess' suit and let you make an open booking.

I agree Cruisemate!!

We talked with many people that were sailing for the first time or for the first time with HAL on our Ryndam Alaska cruise. Many of these folks loved the trip very much and where anxious to sail again!!! You had a "captive" audience and HAL chose to sell others services, not other cruises. makes little sense for a cruise ship company.

HAL seems to fail to recognize that selling more alcohol should take second place to selling more cruises. Frankly we did receive a flyer for booking another cruise via telephone on the first or 2nd day of the cruise but it was included with pages of sales materials for drink specials, spa specials and boutique specials, and didn't really stand out.:rolleyes: JMHO........:cool:

Right you are, Localady! I've only been on two 7-day cruises. By and large they are too short for me (not that I'd really turn one down!) Lots of folks, however, aren't able to take more than a week off work at a time. They do have the desire and means to take other cruises, so it seems it would be in any cruise line's best interest to hook 'em while they've got 'em. And as you point out, a great 7-day experience could lead some to go for a 10- or 14-day itinerary (i.e. more revenue.)

S7S & JHannah-

It seemed simple to me, but what do I know, I am just a horticulture nerd with a passion for cruising the 7 Seas.:D I am sure someone in Marketing at HAL could explain it to us:cool:

On all 10 or more day cruises I have taken, there has been a cruise consultant on board. Funnily enough on our recent 21 day on the Zaandam there wasn`t one and no flyers came to the cabin. I stopped by the GRM desk and queried this and she said I could call HAL in Seattle and make a booking. I declined as I prefer to be face to face with someone when I book, and get copies of everything at that time.....jean

Good habit, Jean.......getting copies of everything at once.

When one has to wait around for them to be sent, one can never be sure it will not be a major nightmare getting errors corrected when they finally arrive.

Archived