Our Epic first time cruise- photo review- 3rd Jan Canaries/Spain

SquishTheWhale

Well, unless you are boarding in Cannes, you are not on the Epic on October 28th. Because we will still be partaking our western med cruise on that date. [emoji12]

Your transatlantic starts on the 30th. The day we transfer to the Jade for hers. [emoji4]

OOOups! Quite right. It's our flight that will be on the 28th. My bad. ;)

Edited by Tangocherie

Fantastic review. Back on the Epic for the 2nd time next week, really helped me get excited (not that I needed much help anyway lol!). It's really nice to find someone on here who actually has a positive opinion of the ship. Again, I haven't cruised on another, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I personally think its absolutely lovely! I also love the Freestyle cruising approach, and I never felt pressured into buying anything or "nickel and dimed."

I like you am a very picky eater (I'm that person in the group that takes five minutes to order bc I want my starter without this, my main without that and so on. XD), and always found the staff to be very accommodating.

Good luck for your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon on the Escape!

Fantastic review. Back on the Epic for the 2nd time next week, really helped me get excited (not that I needed much help anyway lol!). It's really nice to find someone on here who actually has a positive opinion of the ship. Again, I haven't cruised on another, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I personally think its absolutely lovely! I also love the Freestyle cruising approach, and I never felt pressured into buying anything or "nickel and dimed."

I like you am a very picky eater (I'm that person in the group that takes five minutes to order bc I want my starter without this, my main without that and so on. XD), and always found the staff to be very accommodating.

Good luck for your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon on the Escape!

Ooh I'm so jealous, wish I was off on a cruise next week! I bet there's thousands of people who sail on the Epic and love her, the people who like to complain are just the loudest ;)

I posted on another thread recentley that I don't understand how anyone can feel 'pressured' into spending money on board! Nobody is chasing you and forcing brown diamonds onto your hands and then demanding payment. Or signing you up to accupuncture without your knowledge.

Ooh I'm so jealous, wish I was off on a cruise next week! I bet there's thousands of people who sail on the Epic and love her, the people who like to complain are just the loudest ;)

I posted on another thread recentley that I don't understand how anyone can feel 'pressured' into spending money on board! Nobody is chasing you and forcing brown diamonds onto your hands and then demanding payment. Or signing you up to accupuncture without your knowledge.

Haha it's been two years since my first one, so I've waited a fair bit I think. ;) This is true, people who are generally satisfied usually don't have much to say. Honestly, I can't imagine cruising on a smaller ship, but then I'm the kind of person who loves busy cities and being alone in a crowd, so I'm not bothered by all the people so much as others.

OMG the acupuncture joke had me howling! Maybe that lady could fix those complainers, she seemed to have the answer for everything. XD I may see if they do that presentation on my sailing, just for the LOL factor.

Edited by Emmabarose

Haha it's been two years since my first one, so I've waited a fair bit I think. ;) This is true, people who are generally satisfied usually don't have much to say. Honestly, I can't imagine cruising on a smaller ship, but then I'm the kind of person who loves busy cities and being alone in a crowd, so I'm not bothered by all the people so much as others.

OMG the acupuncture joke had me howling! Maybe that lady could fix those complainers, she seemed to have the answer for everything. XD I may see if they do that presentation on my sailing, just for the LOL factor.

Ahh now why did I never think of that- the cure for the negativity on the Cruise Critic forums- acupuncture!! :D

Ahh now why did I never think of that- the cure for the negativity on the Cruise Critic forums- acupuncture!! :D

That's it!!

Ship too busy? Acupuncture!

Food not to your taste? Acupuncture!

Saw more of your family than you wanted to because of the weird cabin set up? Acupuncture!

I think we might be onto something here. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all!

Thank you for the last couple of comments which I should have replied to- I'm really glad you enjoyed reading!

I just wanted to say that despite my closing comments of 'we aren't planning to cruise again soon' I have just booked a Caribbean cruise on the Escape for the second half of our Honeymoon in Oct 2017! So tune in then for part 2 ;)

Well it appears that you may have, in fact, been bitten by the cruising bug after all then! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. I spent quite a lot of time reading this entire thread and I don't even have any upcoming plans to cruise on the EPIC (although I did the Western Med on her in the past). Your review was just so entertaining and I kept looking forward to what you were going to post next.

I am so happy that there will be a "part 2" after your Escape cruise :) Enjoy your honeymoon and congrats!

• 2 months later...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your Epic review! Thank you for investing so much time into it so that so many others will benefit. I will be on Epic in June, 2017 with my wife and daughter and another family. I had done a lot of research already but still learned so much from your posts. It's the small details that most people don't think to post that I appreciated. Thanks again!! Look forward to reading your review of Escape next year!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 10 months later...
For dessert I ordered chocolate mousse- I loveeeeee chocolate mousse. The mousse and cake center was really nice but I wasn't keen on the darker 'skin' on the outside which was kind of tasteless and had a jelly like texture. So I skinned it and ate the middle :D

24375569115_a87a3e1a75_z.jpg

F ordered the chocolate brownie, but they bought him the pistachio crème brulee. The waiter realised right away and ran off the fetch the brownie, leaving F alone with the crème brulee. Lets just say he's a man who takes opportunities when they fall in front of him, so he had two desserts that night.

23748742263_36858901e2_z.jpg

24375554745_33903f6f47_z.jpg

He said the crème brulee was the better of the two, as the brownie was a little dry and heating it up would have improved it immensely.

I forgot to mention that we were seated at a window, so when we eventually did sail sometime before 8 we got a bit of a view, which was nice! So I didn't completely miss it after all, and I would be surprised if anyone else had stayed up on deck to watch it.

It was a nice first dinner and we went for a full but happy wander around the ship afterwards. F spotted the basketball game in O'Sheehans and that was another $10 and 20 minutes lost. He never beat that high score which really rubbed at him the whole cruise! By this point we were pretty tired after our 5am start so started to wander back to the cabin but walked past Headliners and got sucked in by the sound of Howl at The Moon.

Wow, these guys are fantastic! I've heard about Howl but never seen it before. All 3 guys are really talented and give some great banter in between songs. It turned out that the family of one of the players had booked onto the cruise as a surprise and they walked in during his set! It was really sweet as he was totally shocked. We got a bit of a second wind and ended up staying in Howl until midnight as it was rocking.

As we left it felt like Howl wasn't the only thing that was rocking- the ship felt like it was swaying a lot! I have no point of reference as it was our first cruise, but the waves did seem a bit high and I felt quite a lot of movement. One of my big worries was sea sickness so once back to the cabin I popped a pre-emptive travel sickness pill and it was time for bed!

Next up, day 2- Sea day

Hi

Great review thanks. What travel sickness pills did you use?

• 1 month later...