Help needed! Tipping in the Haven

jewliana

Our cruise is over halfway over and we have never used the butler or concierge for anything. I am aware that the butler has replaced our coffee pods for the coffee maker and brought us afternoon snacks but other than that we have not asked for anything. No room service or special requests. We booked our dinners online also the one show we wanted to see. We stayed onboard loving the Haven so much and having visited the ports often so no shore excursions booked. Basically I guess my question is...regardless of using the services or not...is there an amount expected to be tipped daily? Thanks for you help in this!

I wish I had time to search all the previous answsers. I only have about 40 minutes of internet left for the cruise and it is running so slow I would probably still not have my answer. I had hoped maybe someone would help with just an expected standard if you dont use any of the services. :-(

I will try to jump back on tomorrow and check this thread I know you guys are usually so very helpful. I am depending on you :

Unless things are really bad (which they never have been) we tip the concierge at least $50 and the butler at least $100. If we use them more we will give more.

Have a great rest of your cruise! I'm glad you are enjoying the Haven. :D

Whether you used your butler or concierge much is not their fault, they were on call for whatever you needed whenever you wanted it, NCL gives you a phone to carry around the ship to call them anytime. That in itself is worthy of a tip and only you can decide how much that's worth. I would think $50 to the butler and $25 to the concierge would be the bare minimum. They do expect and deserve a tip even though you didn't use them to their full potential.

Should we tip once we board, or a little each day or at the end of the cruise? We will be in the Haven and plan on using both butler and concierge.

Tip at the end. How would you know how much you want to tip them at the beginning if you don't even know what kind of service you will receive?

Tip based on amount and quality of service.

Whether you used your butler or concierge much is not their fault, they were on call for whatever you needed whenever you wanted it, NCL gives you a phone to carry around the ship to call them anytime. That in itself is worthy of a tip and only you can decide how much that's worth.

Based on that, you should be tipping all the people at your usual restaurants and bars because they are there ready to give you service (aka on call) as it is not their fault if you don't go there to utilize their services. O_o

Concierge and butlers are salaried employees and already compensated for being there.

Our cruise is over halfway over and we have never used the butler or concierge for anything. I am aware that the butler has replaced our coffee pods for the coffee maker and brought us afternoon snacks but other than that we have not asked for anything. No room service or special requests. We booked our dinners online also the one show we wanted to see. We stayed onboard loving the Haven so much and having visited the ports often so no shore excursions booked. Basically I guess my question is...regardless of using the services or not...is there an amount expected to be tipped daily? Thanks for you help in this!

It is a personal decision. For what you describe I would not tip, those were minimal , expected items they brought you. Your daily tipping is high enough.

Based on that, you should be tipping all the people at your usual restaurants and bars because they are there ready to give you service (aka on call) as it is not their fault if you don't go there to utilize their services. O_o

Concierge and butlers are salaried employees and already compensated for being there.

I think they should be tipped something. If I go into a crowded expensive restaurant, sit at a table for 4, for a couple of hours, and only order an iced tea, I'm tipping more than a quarter. My taking that table and not utilizing my server's services takes $ from him, because if I wasn't there, most likely another party would be able to sit there, order meals, and leave a nice tip.

It is a personal decision. For what you describe I would not tip, those were minimal , expected items they brought you. Your daily tipping is high enough.

NCL specifically states that people providing personal services are not covered by DSC, including butlers and concierge. So that so called "daily tipping" does not apply here.

(Otherwise I agree, if a passenger asks absolutely nothing from butler and/or concierge, there are no services provided that would warrant tipping them.)

You would "not tip"?

You mean the "daily tipping" as in the Gratuities?

NONE of the Gratuities go to the Butlers.

It appears that we are quite on the high end of tips to our Butler.

However, we do use him quite a bit, for a variety of special snacks, served meals, etc., probably just about everything except for packing/unpacking.

Further, we feel very fortunate to be able to travel in such comfort, and we are in a position to be generous to those who help make our travel so much more pleasant.

(On my first cruise in a tiny, spartan inside in the '70's, not so much, of course... But times have changed.)

I think that the basic services such as restocking coffee supplies doesn't necessarily warrant a tip. That should be an expected part of the service provided with the premium price you pay to stay in the Haven.

Once you start making requests or the butler/concierge goes above and beyond then tip as your conscience guides you.

These threads are repetitive and annoying. If someone can afford the Haven, they can afford to tip without asking for opinions which will always differ and divide this community.

Move on everyone, but then again the usual trolls will always hover and pounce.

These threads are repetitive and annoying. If someone can afford the Haven, they can afford to tip without asking for opinions which will always differ and divide this community.

Move on everyone, but then again the usual trolls will always hover and pounce.

Pretty much all threads on cruise forums are repetitive. Someone is asking a valid question and people are being helpful. I'm sure the O.P. is smart enough to take varying opinions and figure out what is going to work for them.

So, if you find them annoying don't read or post in them. As far as I know you haven't been elected Forum Sheriff.

(Otherwise I agree, if a passenger asks absolutely nothing from butler and/or concierge, there are no services provided that would warrant tipping them.)

I totally agree, but feel that the passenger should tell the Butler and Concierge upfront that they don't wish to have any of their services, so that the Butler and Concierge can concentrate on those guests that do want their services.

Pretty much all threads on cruise forums are repetitive. Someone is asking a valid question and people are being helpful. I'm sure the O.P. is smart enough to take varying opinions and figure out what is going to work for them.

So, if you find them annoying don't read or post in them. As far as I know you haven't been elected Forum Sheriff.

Good idea. Let's have an election :)

Seriously, if you believe the OP needs opinions, which will differ, to decide what they want to tip, well I for one don't believe they do and you must know that any thread discussing tips will divide opinion and on many occasions gets deleted.

Disagree. They are NOT included in the "daily tipping".

And although they are salaried their positions are ones that are heavily weighed by tips. Because they delivered daily snacks, maintained coffee machine, etc. I would tip something. I am sure they would be grateful.

Anyone who intends to tip zero should be upfront on day one and refuse ALL services.

Good idea. Let's have an election :)

Seriously, if you believe the OP needs opinions, which will differ, to decide what they want to tip, well I for one don't believe they do and you must know that any thread discussing tips will divide opinion and on many occasions gets deleted.

I hear what you are saying Bob but put it this way: If it is a new cruiser who is sailing in the Haven for the first time, they don't have a baseline amount of what is considered a traditionally acceptable gratuity.

For example, if you go to a restaurant in the U.S. you know the baseline for an acceptable tip is 15%. Common knowledge, right? Not so much common knowledge for tipping Haven staff.

Post of the day!