18 years after our 1st cruise we have officially given it up. The masses have won.

fig414

I truly miss it though. We really loved the old style. It's not necessarily a bad thing. We pack way less. I now wear nice shorts and flip flops to dinner in the MDR. I was truly happy to see 2 guys getting turned away with sleeveless shirts on the 1st night. When jeans started to get through it pissed me off. I happen to think a nice short with a nice shirt looks better than jeans and sneakers, but that's just me. On my first cruises I actually wore a tux twice and a Dinner Jacket once on formal night. I LOVED it. Last week, I swear to you I saw not ONE tux on our Valor cruise. So sad. Mostly everyone was dressed very nicely on Elegant nights with many suits and, of course, the women went full out. Nary a bum in the MDR. Yet my outfit of slacks and dress shirt with no tie or jacket matched every other guy. My previously every night dress has now become "elegant". Forget about formal. I, of course, realize I can still dress to the nines. I just miss the tuxes. It's really strange. In my 30's I didn't want to get dressed up and I did. And in my 50's I want to get dressed up and I don't. Pathetic. Someone bring back tuxes PLEASE. I don't want to go on a stuffy line. Our line was way fun and we still dressed up. Oh well....

I myself still dress in my tux but that is just me. I enjoy it so I do it. I miss the classy attitude that cruising used to have however I really don't care what others wear. The exception would be sleeveless shirts on me in the dining room which did happen at the table I was at on my last cruise. We just excused ourselves and ate at the buffet

I myself still dress in my tux but that is just me. I enjoy it so I do it. I miss the classy attitude that cruising used to have however I really don't care what others wear. The exception would be sleeveless shirts on me in the dining room which did happen at the table I was at on my last cruise. We just excused ourselves and ate at the buffet

Really? That's too bad! For me, I don't let what others do affect my experience. We are each on our own path. I, for one, will be looking sexy and decked out in a nice dress. As for Mr flip flops, to each his own! :)

Really? That's too bad! For me, I don't let what others do affect my experience. We are each on our own path. I, for one, will be looking sexy and decked out in a nice dress. As for Mr flip flops, to each his own! :)

My post should have said sleveless shirts on men at the table.....not me

We left without a big deal but I don't really care for hairy underarms when I am eating that is what affected my experience.....Like you said to each their own

I still wear my Tux and will continue to do so.

Will wear it on the Imagination in few weeks

Still do not understand the folks that say they miss getting dressed.

What's stopping you?

I agree with you 100%. I like to look good in a dress for my husband and he likes to look "outstanding" in his tux for me. ;)

I still wear my Tux and will continue to do so.

Will wear it on the Imagination in few weeks

Still do not understand the folks that say they miss getting dressed.

What's stopping you?

They don't really want to do it, they just want to moan because things are not like they used to be. But what is really? I remember my dad wearing a suit to go to the fair every year. When is the last time you saw men wearing suits at the fair?

My aunt still gets dressed to the nines to go to the mall. I have noticed she is the only one who does. Back in the day, everyone wore that sunday best to go to the mall. My aunt can go on for a week about the slouchy standards of people at the mall now. Heaven knows what she would say about a cruise now because her one and only was about 30 years ago on the Queen Mary.

Why would my clean designer jeans and collar shirt affect your dining experience? Come on out of the 60's already, amazing you use a computer.

Maybe you should try HAL or Crystal, plenty of Penguin suits there.

Nobody said anything about your jeans and collar shirt. In fact it seems to me that you are the one that has a problem with the people that want to wear a tux....I guess my designer tux affects your dining experience...lol

I wore a tux on the first formal night of our last cruise, and wife dressed up in a gown. I think we were the only ones. Son wore a sport coat and tie, and grandson wore a dress shirt, slacks and tie. I didn't see any men wearing sleeveless shirts or wife beaters. I guess some of us older people miss the atmosphere. At least the illusion that we were really part of a special experience - sailing on the high seas on an ocean liner. Guess there will be less to pack on the next cruise.

Nobody said anything about your jeans and collar shirt. In fact it seems to me that you are the one that has a problem with the people that want to wear a tux....I guess my designer tux affects your dining experience...lol

Chris - I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think there is a correlation between price and clothes..

The lower the price, the more masses you attract....

this includes all types of people with different standards

This is true about airlines, many years ago it was

expensive to fly and people took pride in getting dressed up and

going on a flight, now anyone can fly.

My wife always looks sexy and it all helps for a wonderful cruise. Formal nights are the only time my Tux gets out of the cupboard and we love them, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe they should have a formal dining option?

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise in a few weeks. I am packing my tux and she is packing a formal dress and we both plan on wearing them. If no one else has a tux on then I will take pride in being the nicest dressed person in the dining room. It's the experience I get out of it, not the experience everyone else gets that matters to me. All it takes is a few people to restart the trend of formal dress just like it only takes one sleeveless shirt person to ruin the experience.

In the end, I plan on having a great time so matter what everyone else does.

My wife always looks sexy and it all helps for a wonderful cruise. Formal nights are the only time my Tux gets out of the cupboard and we love them, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe they should have a formal dining option?

I echo your thoughts and that would be a great idea. It is the only time I get to wear the tux now that we have married off all the kids. Not sure if the formal option would work but it would be nice.

You can also blame the airlines, having to pay for bags these days. Not everyone can drive to a port in FLA.

That's part of the problem nowdays.(suitcases and weight restrictions) But, if you were going on a cruiseline with more upscale expectations, I bet the formalwear would be in the suitcase.

Archived