What is happening with MV Discovery Northern Lights Cruise 28thFeb 2012?

Sunnytrip

Does anyone know what is happening with Discovery? She was supposed to sail out of Avonmouth yesterday for 2 week Northern Lights cruise but instead was anchored off Portland last night and as far as I can see is still there. She has just come out of dry dock and there appears to have been some delay. We are due to sail on her from Avonmouth on same itinery in a fortnight and are a bit concerned.

Hi Sunnytrip,

My wife & I were booked on this cruise. We arrived at Avonmouth on 28th only to fine that car parking was at Avonmouth but Discovery was at Portland. Various rumours circulated indicating possible problems with the refit in Genoa not being completed in time and bad weather in the bay of Biscay. Passengers were transferred by coach to Portland where we joined the ship at 2030hrs after a very long days travelling. The crew were loading all the ships stores throughout the night and into the following day. Many more rumours now circulating and speculation that the ship would leave Portland and make up time by sailing up the channel and North Sea. A news sheet was issued on Thursday night stating the itinerary would remain unaltered and the ship would reach Stavanger on the following Sunday. Lack of information from ships senior crew all through Friday with official announcements being promised at various times but not being made.Finally at 2000hrs the Captain made an announcement that the cruise had been cancelled due to technical problems. A statement has been posted on the C & M website.

As far as I know the ship is still scheduled for the next cruise but I would suggest you contact C & M or your travel agent to confirm. We spent about 40 hours aboard in Portland before disembarkation. During that time I walked around the ship and saw several areas where work had not been completed but I have no ide of the full extent of the work required as no indication of this has been made official as far as I am aware.

This was to be our first cruise but we are trying to remain positive and have talked about another as my wife has always wanted the chance to see the Northern Lights.

I wish you well for your cruise and look forward to reading your comments on your return.

Kind regards

Perseus01

Thankyou for your reply. I have been trying to keep up to date with events and have read a number of posts on CMV's Facebook page. I telephoned Customer relations at CMV Fridy afternoon and at that point was told that the current cruise would be going ahead. Obviously it didn't!

It must have been so dissapointing for you as I know what it's like with the build up to a cruise and all the planning. I hope you can arrange another holiday. Don't give up on cruising. Our first cruise was on Discovery in 2006 and we thouroughly enjoyed it. We have done a couple of other cruises since on much larger ships which again we loved but fancied going back to the smaller ship. And I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights.

I am now quite concerned about exactly what the safety aspects were that the ship failed on. I think CMV should issue a much more comprehensive statement to avoid all the speculation. Hopefully our trip will go ahead but if there are problems I would rather know now so I can make alternative arrangements.

We too were on the Discovery for the last two days. We experienced dirty bed linen, cold water, poor drainage in the toilets as well as the experiences already quoted. For those who know the old Belgian airline, SABENA. You may know what my feelings are from its other quoted meaning of the letters that make up the word. For those that don't; Such a B Experience NEVER again. As for the 40% off another cruise with C&M I didn't speak to anyone who was willing to take up such an offer after their experience. When I spoke personally to the Cabin Services Director at 6:20 on the Friday he told me that the inspectors were still checking out the ship and it was likely that we would miss the Stavanger port of call. As it turned out we missed them all. He also hinted at problems with safety checks and as the bridge had been calling life boat personnel all afternoon my suspicion is that it had something to do with them. I had previously looked at the boats and I have to say it looked like they had not been moved for years.

There was a good side though. The food was good and served well and the entertainment first class. what we saw of it. However, anyone booked on the trip for March 15th I would advise that you cancel it. The ship is tatty and obviously now not sea worthy after it's safety review.

Hi Sunnytrip,

My wife & I were booked on this cruise. We arrived at Avonmouth on 28th only to fine that car parking was at Avonmouth but Discovery was at Portland. Various rumours circulated indicating possible problems with the refit in Genoa not being completed in time and bad weather in the bay of Biscay. Passengers were transferred by coach to Portland where we joined the ship at 2030hrs after a very long days travelling. The crew were loading all the ships stores throughout the night and into the following day. Many more rumours now circulating and speculation that the ship would leave Portland and make up time by sailing up the channel and North Sea. A news sheet was issued on Thursday night stating the itinerary would remain unaltered and the ship would reach Stavanger on the following Sunday. Lack of information from ships senior crew all through Friday with official announcements being promised at various times but not being made.Finally at 2000hrs the Captain made an announcement that the cruise had been cancelled due to technical problems. A statement has been posted on the C & M website.

As far as I know the ship is still scheduled for the next cruise but I would suggest you contact C & M or your travel agent to confirm. We spent about 40 hours aboard in Portland before disembarkation. During that time I walked around the ship and saw several areas where work had not been completed but I have no ide of the full extent of the work required as no indication of this has been made official as far as I am aware.

This was to be our first cruise but we are trying to remain positive and have talked about another as my wife has always wanted the chance to see the Northern Lights.

I wish you well for your cruise and look forward to reading your comments on your return.

Kind regards

Perseus01

Oh dear - this doesn't sound too good. I am booked on her on 12 April. It was a cheap deal and therefore we do not have high expectations but I do expect safety to be good!!

We too were on the Discovery for the last two days. We experienced dirty bed linen, cold water, poor drainage in the toilets as well as the experiences already quoted. For those who know the old Belgian airline, SABENA. You may know what my feelings are from its other quoted meaning of the letters that make up the word. For those that don't; Such a B Experience NEVER again. As for the 40% off another cruise with C&M I didn't speak to anyone who was willing to take up such an offer after their experience. When I spoke personally to the Cabin Services Director at 6:20 on the Friday he told me that the inspectors were still checking out the ship and it was likely that we would miss the Stavanger port of call. As it turned out we missed them all. He also hinted at problems with safety checks and as the bridge had been calling life boat personnel all afternoon my suspicion is that it had something to do with them. I had previously looked at the boats and I have to say it looked like they had not been moved for years.

There was a good side though. The food was good and served well and the entertainment first class. what we saw of it. However, anyone booked on the trip for March 15th I would advise that you cancel it. The ship is tatty and obviously now not sea worthy after it's safety review.

You're certainly wrong about the boats. They were moved last October when I was on it, and I dare say have been moved since as well.

You're certainly wrong about the boats. They were moved last October when I was on it, and I dare say have been moved since as well.

you may be right but the rest of my report was fact ! I wouldn't have chanced being in one of those boats. There were reported technical difficulties on the day. I suspected it was with the lifeboats or lifeboat crew because the bridge had been calling lifeboat staff for most of the afternoon even after the passenger drill at 3:30 was cancelled.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back from CMV Northern Lights cruise on Discovery on Saturday. We did enjoy the holiday and Norway was spectacular with interesting ports of call. Staff on the ship were great and very attentive.

However the ship was listing for a lot of the trip. We think it was something to do with the ballast which was fixed in Bergen. No information was given. This caused problems for people that had walking difficulties. The North sea crossing from Scotland was very rough. In the restaurant people were falling off their chairs and glasses and plates were flying off the table. Our table mate had his dinner in his lap twice and for the third attempt moved to a table up hill.

Also airconditioning/ temperature was often too hot and very very drying. This felt uncomfortable. I'm not sure if this is normal for cruise ships, haven't noticed it so much before on other cruises but first cruise to cold country. Loads of people with coughs and colds. I had a cold for nearly whole fortnight. Came back with a cough and just starting to feel better. We met some lovely people and the entertainment was good on the whole. So overall a good holiday but I very much doubt I would go on Discovery again (This was our second time on her, last time 2006)

Glad you enjoyed the trip and thank you for the feedback. You have convinced us not to venture onto Discovery again even with the 40% discount offered after our cruise was cancelled. We re-booked on Oriana and had a lovely 10 day cruise. Discovery is old and tired. Very good in it's day I imagine but really needs a refit INSiDE. I understood the recent refit was mechanical although, like you, we noticed the list of the ship even when it was docked in Portland bill. With Hind sight we are very glad we did not go.

We have booked on Oriana to see the northern lights next March. P&O have their faults but compared to C&M they are streets ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what is happening with Discovery? She was supposed to sail out of Avonmouth yesterday for 2 week Northern Lights cruise but instead was anchored off Portland last night and as far as I can see is still there. She has just come out of dry dock and there appears to have been some delay. We are due to sail on her from Avonmouth on same itinery in a fortnight and are a bit concerned.

Has anyone anything to say on the positive side re mv Discovery.We are due to take the Baltic cruise in May and quite frankly I am seriously considering not going

Has anyone anything to say on the positive side for Mv Discovery.I am booked to go on the Baltic cruise in May and frankly I am seriously considering cancelling due to these horrific reviews

If you have booked go, we enjoyed our cruise on Discovery last week.

The crew, food and entretainment are very good but the ship is old and rusty in places, there is still a list so in rough weather I don't think the stabilzers work right and passengers get sick although we never did.

BUT this was our first cruise so I cant compare the sickness to any other cruise.

I have been told that they prescribed antibiotics for sick pasengers but I hope they had good reasons to do so.

Has anyone anything to say on the positive side for Mv Discovery.I am booked to go on the Baltic cruise in May and frankly I am seriously considering cancelling due to these horrific reviews

NO ! We didn't get to sail on her and would never again book with C&M even though they have offered us 40% off. Discovery was probably very nice in her day as a the 'Love Boat' but having been on her for 2 nights in Portland and reading other blogs, I think the ship has seen better days. It was listing when we are on it whilst moored up. My advice would be to cancel and book on a more modern ship. P&O is our preference.

Have read on cruisecritic that passengers on this cruise have started a website . Would be interested in joining (have already written a review) Does anyone have the website address ?? thanks. :)

I think it is a Facebook page. called CMV Discovery Survivors

I think it is a Facebook page. called CMV Discovery Survivors

MV Discovery survivors was started by Wendy there are 29 of us at the moment, we are all blocked from CMV Facebook page so that is why it is set up. top right hand corner click on e-mail area to join ,would welcome ALL COMMENTS GOOD OR BAD .

NO ! We didn't get to sail on her and would never again book with C&M even though they have offered us 40% off. Discovery was probably very nice in her day as a the 'Love Boat' but having been on her for 2 nights in Portland and reading other blogs, I think the ship has seen better days. It was listing when we are on it whilst moored up. My advice would be to cancel and book on a more modern ship. P&O is our preference.

My husband and I was also on the Discovery two nights on board ,have not got a good word to say! also booked on Oriana next march to try again.

Archived