Do You Disinfect (Sanitize) Your Cabin Before You Unpack?

need2cruisesoon

Thoroughly washing your hands at the necessary times will serve to avoid illnesses from surface-contact germs far better than any spray can treatment. And my immune system doesn't go on vacation when the rest of me does; I just let it do its job. A vacation without at least one episode of traveler's stomach means that I am probably not having sufficient fun to challenge my internal bacteria-fighters into good use.

(Every time someone asks this sort of question I watch George Carlin's routine on "Fear of Germs" and have a good chuckle. Easily found on YouTube, but if I posted a link I would surely be banned for life from here :evilsmile:)

The question is WHY are you doing it? Your not trusting your steward? Paranoid over NORO? Your cabin should be 100% cleaner than any public area of the ship. You do know the stewards use the same equipment in each cabin? The stewards cleaning solutions, Lysol and Clorox wipes do not kill the Noro virus. Immersion in 100% alcohol takes 15 minutes, bleach 5 minutes. A commercial grade anti viral is required.

I sometimes give the remote a wipe, but I ALWAYS check for bedbugs. I hope I never find any on a ship, but I did find some the hard way in a hotel once, which is why I check everywhere now. Mosquitoes and fleas won’t bite me, but bedbugs adore me, unfortunately.

We sometimes intend to, even packing a travel pack of Clorox wipes in a carry-on bag. When we get to our cabin we're so excited that we forget all about the wipes until 10 minutes after we've arrived and touched most of the surfaces anyway, so we laugh about it and enjoy our vacation.

I bring a small flashlight/black light. Called the "Hotel Inspector". On land I check our room pretty well. On the ship it's just the bathroom, desk area, bed stands and carpet. Bedding is changed for fresh and doesn't concern me.

Ships are very well kept in all areas. Noro is always a concern for them. Hand washing is very important for us. Wish it was for all but, that is another topic. Harry :cool: