What do you want to know about cruising?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:01 AM.
#21
Melbourne, Australia
247 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
As someone brand new to cruising, I'd like more info on choosing a cruise line that would suit me best. I'd like to know the differences between the cruise lines, who their target market is, if they cater well to different age groups, families, young people, old people, rich people, "regular" people (haha - as in I'd feel totally out of place on Cunard, for example!), entertainment wise, etc etc. Would my teen enjoy Celebrity, and Princess? More in depth on which cruise suits which kind of person, I'd really appreciate that kind of thing.

I'm going on Carnival very soon, but many of their itineraries are the same, so even if I love them, I'd like some other options.

I'd also love a look at reviews, ie I find myself getting put off by many bad reviews of almost all ships (!) and would love a "review of the reviews", how genuine are they, are they fair. For example I like the idea of P&O's itineraries as well as their advertising of ship amenities, but then I read reviews and it puts me off. Then I see by people's signatures, many long time cruisers having sailed them repeatedly, so can they really be that bad?
#22
Australia
42 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by Tigerlily75
As someone brand new to cruising, I'd like more info on choosing a cruise line that would suit me best. I'd like to know the differences between the cruise lines, who their target market is, if they cater well to different age groups, families, young people, old people, rich people, "regular" people (haha - as in I'd feel totally out of place on Cunard, for example!), entertainment wise, etc etc. Would my teen enjoy Celebrity, and Princess? More in depth on which cruise suits which kind of person, I'd really appreciate that kind of thing.

I'm going on Carnival very soon, but many of their itineraries are the same, so even if I love them, I'd like some other options.

I'd also love a look at reviews, ie I find myself getting put off by many bad reviews of almost all ships (!) and would love a "review of the reviews", how genuine are they, are they fair. For example I like the idea of P&O's itineraries as well as their advertising of ship amenities, but then I read reviews and it puts me off. Then I see by people's signatures, many long time cruisers having sailed them repeatedly, so can they really be that bad?
I found the best way to find out what cruiseline/ship suited us was by reading the cruise critic reviews. For example:
Celebrity Solstice Fellow Passengers
The typical Celebrity passenger is mid-50's, traveling as a couple, sophisticated and appreciative of the better things in life. The majority are from the United States, but that balance, as well as the ratio of couples to families with kids may shift between the Caribbean and European seasons.

The member reviews can be a bit confusing. I asked myself if some of the reviewers were on the same cruise at all, because they differed so much from ours, but the one time we ignored the bad reviews for a particular cruise line/ ship we regretted it. I tend to agree that if the reviewer is a repeat customer then it must be pretty good.

I think any review that is totally negative needs to be questioned. For example we hated almost everything about our last cruise but when I did the review, I made sure I mention anything positive in the interest of fairness.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I work to support my cruise addiction







Cruised: Celebrity Solstice March 2013 - Great Barrier Reef
Cruised: Celebrity Soltice October 2013 - South Pacific
#23
Sydney, Australia
13,964 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by chrisandkaryn
The member reviews can be a bit confusing. I asked myself if some of the reviewers were on the same cruise at all, because they differed so much from ours, but the one time we ignored the bad reviews for a particular cruise line/ ship we regretted it. I tend to agree that if the reviewer is a repeat customer then it must be pretty good.
.
And then you get reviews where they say they are a repeat customer, but it is the worst they had.

Honestly, I don't think any line is trying to give you a bad cruise - or has bad service.

However, individual cruises can have issues, and more complicatedly, individual experiences on the same cruise can vary widely. You can be in a section of the ship affected by water leaks and smells, yet someone on another deck never even goes near there. 2 different experiences! Then you get the surly waiter who you see every night (I've had that), but people at most other tables get fine ones. Again, 2 different reports. Or a whole variety of other different circumstances that lead to two different perspectives - both reasonable. For some, wear and tear or 'style' is very important. To others, they're not as big a deal. The first may not enjoy a certain cruise as much as the second, who doesn't notice or doesn't mind. But again both reviews are accurate - it just comes down to your own preferences.

That's not to say all reports are credible. But imo the best thing to do is work out what you prefer and then assess the differences you discern as to how you rate them. OTOH, you can just go and enjoy the travel experience, learning along the way. Not everything in life has to be perfect, so just find what suits you.
#25
Melbourne
154 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
OOOPS - Posted to the wrong forum - sorry guys!

So how do you go about getting an open booking??? Is this when you book on the ship but dont actually specify the cruise?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



#26
Canberra Australia
38,765 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by sexylegend8
OOOPS - Posted to the wrong forum - sorry guys!

So how do you go about getting an open booking??? Is this when you book on the ship but dont actually specify the cruise?
Correct, some times called a "future cruise" credit.
#27
Australia
11,546 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Hi Louise (or any Princess fans)
Re the 24 day cruise "South Pacific Grand Adventures" in May next year (yes, we're booked).... is this a new release? Looks great and a perfect length for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anna

Completed Cruises:
2017 Golden Princess: Hawaii and South Pacific
2016 Emerald Princess: Tasmania
2016 Emerald Princess: New Zealand
2016 Sun Princess: Fiji
2016 Sun Princess: Queensland Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Alaskan Cruisetour
2015 Pacific Princess: Pacific Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Panama Transit

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage

2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing
2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

20 cruises - 308 days at sea

Upcoming Cruises:

Regal Princess - Canada and New England (Historic America 1A) - October 2018
Royal Princess- Canada and Colonial America (Maple Explorer 2B)- October 2018




EMAIL
#28
1,063 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Hi, new and physically disabled cruiser here, travelling independently on the Golden Princess November 11, 2016 in a Window Suite, sailing Sydney-Melbourne.

I am Legal Blind and carry a magnifying Monocular lens to read signs with if needed.

As a Suite passenger, even though I'll be a Blue Card newbie-well everyone had to take their first cruise at one time-I'm eligible for Priority Embarkation.

Some questions I personally would like to know the answers to:

Is there a marked specific area at the Overseas Passenger Terminal please?

I have my cousin able to bring me to the ship, how far into the Terminal is she able to come with me?

I have balance problems and use a Rollator wheeled walking frame so loathe escalators especially when carrying a suitcase strapped to the front of the walker-almost fell in a supermarket after going up to the 2nd floor-a concerned staff member showed me the lift which I hadn't seen, and it's now VERY well marked!

Is there a lift in the terminal as I've only seen the outside of the Terminal on the web and I already know to have a clipboard folder with all Embarkation paperwork in and a pen with a string taped to the top and tied onto the clip so I can't lose it-I'm NOTORIOUS for losing pens!

Re souvenirs a friend is looking for a card wallet that zips open and has pockets to take multiple cards-does anyone know if something similar is available on the Golden Princess and an approximate price for my budgeting (intended Birthday/Christmas present for her, she's an absolute Got Everything lady so when she showed me her current wallet which is starting to come apart, I decided to try and get her a replacement on the cruise, Any excuse to explore and photograph the ship eh?

Other souvenirs I'm interested in the Australian price of are; Princess Teddy Bears; monogrammed pens; mugs; caps; lanyards-what colours are available; tshirts and sweatshirts, and the Gift Services boxes of chocolates-I can only get the US price and am allowing 20% extra for safe budgeting.

Oh, the price range for Cocktails would also be useful for budgeting-I see I can get the Soda and More Package but not the All Inclusive Beverage Package on the Sydney-Melbourne cruise Also pricing the minimum Internet package, Speciality Dining-Crown Grill, Sabatini's and hopefully the Crab Shack, and the photo credit. Funds will be taken as pre-paid On Board Credit and a separate Casino Credit, which I understand is redeemable so I have back-up funds if I get a good run on the souvenirs

Will be watching this thread with keen interest. I shall report back in mid-November 2016 with a comprehensive report from the point of view of a Disabled Passenger complete with photos.

Crochetcruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#29
I come from a land down under
23,420 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by crochetcruise
Hi, new and physically disabled cruiser here, travelling independently on the Golden Princess November 11, 2016 in a Window Suite, sailing Sydney-Melbourne.

I am Legal Blind and carry a magnifying Monocular lens to read signs with if needed.

As a Suite passenger, even though I'll be a Blue Card newbie-well everyone had to take their first cruise at one time-I'm eligible for Priority Embarkation.

Some questions I personally would like to know the answers to:

Is there a marked specific area at the Overseas Passenger Terminal please?

I have my cousin able to bring me to the ship, how far into the Terminal is she able to come with me?

I have balance problems and use a Rollator wheeled walking frame so loathe escalators especially when carrying a suitcase strapped to the front of the walker-almost fell in a supermarket after going up to the 2nd floor-a concerned staff member showed me the lift which I hadn't seen, and it's now VERY well marked!

Is there a lift in the terminal as I've only seen the outside of the Terminal on the web and I already know to have a clipboard folder with all Embarkation paperwork in and a pen with a string taped to the top and tied onto the clip so I can't lose it-I'm NOTORIOUS for losing pens!

Re souvenirs a friend is looking for a card wallet that zips open and has pockets to take multiple cards-does anyone know if something similar is available on the Golden Princess and an approximate price for my budgeting (intended Birthday/Christmas present for her, she's an absolute Got Everything lady so when she showed me her current wallet which is starting to come apart, I decided to try and get her a replacement on the cruise Any excuse to explore and photograph the ship eh?

Will be watching this thread with keen interest. I shall report back in mid-November 2016 with a comprehensive report from the point of view of a Disabled Passenger complete with photos.

Crochetcruise

Not sure about the card case but there ARE lifts at OPT

if you loose your pen there are alsays pens available
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#30
1,063 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by GUT2407
Not sure about the card case but there ARE lifts at OPT

if you loose your pen there are alsays pens available
THANK YOU! That's extremely reassuring to know. I was warned to make sure ALL my shoes had rubber soles for the cruise, and Velcro fastening for the Airport Security, so that's been done.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#31
1,063 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by crochetcruise
Hi, new and physically disabled cruiser here, travelling independently on the Golden Princess November 11, 2016 in a Window Suite, sailing Sydney-Melbourne.

I am Legal Blind and carry a magnifying Monocular lens to read signs with if needed.

As a Suite passenger, even though I'll be a Blue Card newbie-well everyone had to take their first cruise at one time-I'm eligible for Priority Embarkation.

Some questions I personally would like to know the answers to:

Is there a marked specific area at the Overseas Passenger Terminal please?

I have my cousin able to bring me to the ship, how far into the Terminal is she able to come with me?

I have balance problems and use a Rollator wheeled walking frame so loathe escalators especially when carrying a suitcase strapped to the front of the walker-almost fell in a supermarket after going up to the 2nd floor-a concerned staff member showed me the lift which I hadn't seen, and it's now VERY well marked!

Is there a lift in the terminal as I've only seen the outside of the Terminal on the web and I already know to have a clipboard folder with all Embarkation paperwork in and a pen with a string taped to the top and tied onto the clip so I can't lose it-I'm NOTORIOUS for losing pens!

Re souvenirs a friend is looking for a card wallet that zips open and has pockets to take multiple cards-does anyone know if something similar is available on the Golden Princess and an approximate price for my budgeting (intended Birthday/Christmas present for her, she's an absolute Got Everything lady so when she showed me her current wallet which is starting to come apart, I decided to try and get her a replacement on the cruise, Any excuse to explore and photograph the ship eh?

Other souvenirs I'm interested in the Australian price of are; Princess Teddy Bears; monogrammed pens; mugs; caps; lanyards-what colours are available; tshirts and sweatshirts, and the Gift Services boxes of chocolates-I can only get the US price and am allowing 20% extra for safe budgeting.

Oh, the price range for Cocktails would also be useful for budgeting-I see I can get the Soda and More Package but not the All Inclusive Beverage Package on the Sydney-Melbourne cruise Also pricing the minimum Internet package, Speciality Dining-Crown Grill, Sabatini's and hopefully the Crab Shack, and the photo credit. Funds will be taken as pre-paid On Board Credit and a separate Casino Credit, which I understand is redeemable so I have back-up funds if I get a good run on the souvenirs

Will be watching this thread with keen interest. I shall report back in mid-November 2016 with a comprehensive report from the point of view of a Disabled Passenger complete with photos.

Crochetcruise
Some updates!

I found what I was looking for re a friend's gift at a local shop and promptly bought myself a red one and a black one and sent it over to her-she lives in Sydney. She's ABSOLUTELY delighted with a special Wallet to "control" the myriad (lots) of cards she has, and I'm finding mine much easier to manage than metal card cases!

I have also learned that Cocktails on Australian ships are $14, which is helping with my cruise budgeting. The All-Inclusive-Beverage-Package is only available for cruises of 8 nights or more at this stage, so not relevant for met. I'm hoping it is so popular it is available on all cruises by November 2016.

66 weeks and 3 days to Embarkation at the Overseas Passenger Terminal-I'm eagerly counting down the days!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#32
Australia
5 Posts
Joined May 2012
As you know in Australia we have different power plugs to UK, Europe etc, I am wondering what type of power socket adapters are needed for Royal Caribbean's " Explorer of the Seas"
#33
Melbourne
154 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Hi there we took two US to AUS plugs and we were fine! Even lent one out to other passengers

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



#34
Sydney, Australia
7,653 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by esereh
As you know in Australia we have different power plugs to UK, Europe etc, I am wondering what type of power socket adapters are needed for Royal Caribbean's " Explorer of the Seas"
RCI ships have two types of power sockets - US at 110 volts and European at 220 volts. The hairdryers supplied have US plugs and are essentially useless. If you need a decent hairdryer take a travel one and a European adaptor.

If you're just charging small devices the US sockets are Ok. We took both US and European on our Rhapsody cruise which was just as well as the US sockets were a bit flaky when using an adaptor - the plugs kept falling out of the sockets.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature




and Sea Princess Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific cruise in August 2019

Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
#35
714 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
For me, given the number of local cruises I do (with another booked) I'd really love to see a section on port calls and possible activities, cruise ship sourced versus independent.

For example I've been to Noumea many times, twice on a ship and soon to be thrice - what havent I done that could be interesting?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2008 APT Serenade II Amsterdam-Budapest 14 days
2008 Eos KL2 croatian islands 7 days
2011 Bhaya Halong Bay 24hrs
2012 Captain Cook MV Reef Endeavour Yasawa Islands Fiji 7 days (cyclone interrupted)
2012 P&O Pacific Pearl Island Hopper 10 days
2013 Paul Gauguin Tahiti 7 days
2014 P&O Pacific Dawn Brisbane south 7 days (changed itinerary due to cyclone)
2014 Celebrity Century Australia + Pacific Is 14 days
2016 Celebrity Solstice Pacific Islands
#37
1,063 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by crochetcruise
Some updates!

I found what I was looking for re a friend's gift at a local shop and promptly bought myself a red one and a black one and sent it over to her-she lives in Sydney. She's ABSOLUTELY delighted with a special Wallet to "control" the myriad (lots) of cards she has, and I'm finding mine much easier to manage than metal card cases!

I have also learned that Cocktails on Australian ships are $14, which is helping with my cruise budgeting. The All-Inclusive-Beverage-Package is only available for cruises of 8 nights or more at this stage, so not relevant for met. I'm hoping it is so popular it is available on all cruises by November 2016.

66 weeks and 3 days to Embarkation at the Overseas Passenger Terminal-I'm eagerly counting down the days!
Another update!

Sailing in 62 weeks and 6 days.

Got some pricing through my Personalizer:
AIBP per day AUD$73.75
Canapes AUD$17.50 and $10.00 for my choices.
Photo Package, I'm getting the USD$50 so AUD$62.50.
On Board and Casino Credits USD-AUD prices $25-31.25, $50-$62.50 and $100-$125 as of yesterday.
Gifts available through Gift Services not displayed in the Personalizer and No Spa price-message that the information had not yet been released.

HTH.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#38
australia
37 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Hi Louise I do like to give good suggestions and reasonable feedback from my cruises. I also ring up the cruise company and speak to someone from the post cruise sections. At times the post cruise survey which the ship sends you via the email can take you awhile to finish. I get disappointed that you can take the time to fill out these surveys and send and there seems to be very little or no response. I hear this comment a lot from other cruisers and they decide not to do them. Our Cruise Directors tell us this is one way of crew members getting promotions. I think it's disappointing that this information is not being addressed in a different way.
#39
Australia
11,546 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
I note that P&O (Australia) have a separate thread to P&O (UK) so why doesn't Princess (Australia) have their own place on these threads? Perhaps the administrators could help here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anna

Completed Cruises:
2017 Golden Princess: Hawaii and South Pacific
2016 Emerald Princess: Tasmania
2016 Emerald Princess: New Zealand
2016 Sun Princess: Fiji
2016 Sun Princess: Queensland Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Alaskan Cruisetour
2015 Pacific Princess: Pacific Coastal
2015 Pacific Princess: Panama Transit

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage

2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing
2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

20 cruises - 308 days at sea

Upcoming Cruises:

Regal Princess - Canada and New England (Historic America 1A) - October 2018
Royal Princess- Canada and Colonial America (Maple Explorer 2B)- October 2018




EMAIL
#40
Sydney, Australia
13,964 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Kinkacruiser
I note that P&O (Australia) have a separate thread to P&O (UK) so why doesn't Princess (Australia) have their own place on these threads? Perhaps the administrators could help here.
P&O Australia is a completely separate line from P&O UK with its own ships, hence the distinction.

Princess Australia isn't a separate line, and just operates as a subsidiary locally like Royal Caribbean and some others. Not the same demand (and on the topic of demand the P&O Aust forum is generally pretty quiet, even with that greater purpose.)