MicroSD Card

That really depends on how many pics or videos you typically take... if it's places I've been before I tend to take a lot less pictures. Normally 1 64 gb micro SD card does me, but if I plan to take a lot of pics (new ship, new itinerary) I'll plan to download them to my laptop which I always bring with me...

That really depends on how many pics or videos you typically take... if it's places I've been before I tend to take a lot less pictures. Normally 1 64 gb micro SD card does me, but if I plan to take a lot of pics (new ship, new itinerary) I'll plan to download them to my laptop which I always bring with me...

Don't plan on bringing laptop with so debating if should pick up an extra sd card just as a backup. Guess the $10-20 would be good spent in case I go pic or video crazy at the beginning of the cruise haha

I would always take a spare - and remember to take it when on a visit.

They can always go wrong and wont write.

You can always buy them on board but at a price.

Dont think it will take your luggage over limit!

We actually bring one for each day. At night we change them out. This way if something happens to the camera we don't lose all of our pictures. The equipment is insured and can be replaced but the pictures would be gone forever. I have a credit card sized holder for them that I got on Amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

i use a 32gb card on my camera. on the default settings, it can hold a few thousands pictures. if i lower the quality a bit, it can hold like double that. with the default settings, i have enough for a 7/8/11 day cruise.

We actually bring one for each day. At night we change them out. This way if something happens to the camera we don't lose all of our pictures. The equipment is insured and can be replaced but the pictures would be gone forever. I have a credit card sized holder for them that I got on Amazon.

You saved me the time. Almost exactly what I was going to post.

We take one for each day and extra just in case. They are cheap and you can erase them after the fact to use on the next cruise.

I have four 64 gig cards for my Nikkon DSLR. I shoot RAW and JPEG and 1 picture takes up about 40 MB of space between both RAW and JPEG. But even with a 64 GB card thats still about 1600 pictures I can take on 1 card. but I also take my laptop with my portable HD that I dump my pictures too at night and then burn to DVD later.

Same here. A friend who is a professional photographer suggested this to me. She never uses anything bigger than an 8GB card. I don't want to take the chance of a card corrupting and losing the whole vacation.

How big of microSD card do you bring for your camera or video camera? Or do you bring a few smaller ones and swap them out?

This is what I do too. I'd rather have multiple 16gb cards for our Nikon DSLR than one large card, so if something happens to the card our pictures are not lost. (We do not bring a laptop so we aren't able to dump the cards while cruising.)

Same here. A friend who is a professional photographer suggested this to me. She never uses anything bigger than an 8GB card. I don't want to take the chance of a card corrupting and losing the whole vacation.

This is what I do also...several 8GB. They are cheap. The first picture I take on each card is my contact info.

How big of microSD card do you bring for your camera or video camera? Or do you bring a few smaller ones and swap them out?

Because they're so cheap now, I bring one 8 gb per day, I've numbered them in sharpie, so that I don't shoot over them by accident.

My reasoning for bringing separate ones has to do with a friend of mine. She had one large SD card, and went on a 12 day, once in a lifetime trip, and on the 5th day, somehow managed to reformat the card. Poof. 5 days worth of photos gone.

I like to take a lot of photos, and 8 gb is a lot of space (for the average digital camera).

That is a good idea and I guess makes it very easy for knowing which pics are from which day

I do the same thing. I change them out daily and I carry an extra one with me at all times. I have had one go bad on vacation before and lost all my pictures so at least this way I only lose one day. I usually carry my laptop with me just so I can copy all the photos to it as back up but I don't erase the card until I get home.

For those who have said they have lost all their pictures or one days pictures, if it happens again it is fairly easy to recover them with a FREE computer program (Providing you have not continued to use the card and actually over written them.) You may not get them all and they might be out of order. You will also recover any that were on the card previously even if you formatted it !! (so you will have to remember where it was you took them LOL) I have had 3 or 4 successes with that.

It is false economy to travel without spare batteries and memory media. There are so many counterfeit batteries on the market today you should buy the ones made by your camera manufacturer from an authorized dealer just to be sure you won't be caught without power. Micro SD cards are inexpensive and it would not hurt to have 10 on hand for a week long cruise. I usually bring 32 gb which will store more than 3,000 shots from my Canon EOS. For Micro SD I use Lexar Professional LSDMI32GCBNL1000R which you can get from Amazon and many others. They include an image rescue software program that is quite impressive, and can bring back pictures others will tell you are lost. It is also fast so if you do transfer to a drive or laptop it will be done quickly.

Taking pics of your vacation is great, to preserve and share your memories of your trip, but if you get too caught up in taking pics of everything and everywhere, you may find out later that your memories of your trip are of trying to get the perfect photo and not so much of being in the moment.

Do you compress the pictures later or why such high-res?

No, no compression. It degrades the picture sharpness and quality. I used to sell digital downloads of my work. I haven't been out shooting much landscape photography yet this year so I don't have anything up for sale right now. After I dump my pictures to my laptop I go through picture by picture and just delete pictures that didn't turn out like out of focus or just didn't have the camera settings right. The go through again and get rid of a lot of the duplicates or ones that just didn't turn out like I was wanting. By this time I've deleted half my photos from that shoot, day or event that I photographed. I use 64 GB cards because when I shoot a wedding or go out hiking in the mountains I take A LOT OF PHOTOS like a typical wedding shoot I easily take 1000 pictures. Hiking in the mountains for the day I will also take close to a 1000 pictures, especially if I come across some some wildlife. I can take any drab looking photo that colors are off or lots of haze in it or a photo that's a good shot but lighting and contrast are just off and turn it into an eye popping photo in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. These photos I keep and the others are deleted as they just take up space on my laptop or portable hard drive or DVD. once I burn it to DVD its permanent. If laptop hard drive gives out or portable HD then I still have a hard copy on DVD. My laptop may have 1 terrabit HD but with all the photos I have, I have to sort through my photos and reduce my photos down to the best ones and the ones I can fix in Lightroom. Wedding photos I let the bride and groom sort through them, it's their photos.

Taking pics of your vacation is great, to preserve and share your memories of your trip, but if you get too caught up in taking pics of everything and everywhere, you may find out later that your memories of your trip are of trying to get the perfect photo and not so much of being in the moment.

I have to say this is true for me. I tend to get caught up in lots of things including building up a big fantasy about how my trip should be that I am not present in the moment to enjoy it (not even camera related with this one.)

Family frequently asks that I take lots of pics of my son when we're out doing fun things or he's doing something super cute. Every now and then I will but I usually miss the moment and don't get to enjoy it for myself. I much prefer really living in the moment and soaking it all in. This is of course just my feelings and opinions

I'm glad I opened this thread. Multiple SD cards, daily downloading to your computer. :confused:

Reading this reminded me to see when the last time I downloaded either my camera's photos or my phone's photos to my laptop.......

........ 2015 :o

I just have a couple of 8gb cards. I don't shoot in high resolution so it gets me a couple thousand photos. I've had bad luck with changing out cards frequently and something going wrong. We travel with 3 point and shoot cameras (one of which is an underwater one). I'd rather change cameras than memory cards.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I just take enough SD cards to last me the trip. Usually I'll swap out before they fill up, but I don't download to a computer until I get back unless I need the computer for something while I'm out (having the computer would be an exception though).