Formal nights on carnival Legend - Do you have to attend?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:55 PM.
Hobart, Tasmania
3 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Hi

We are going on a 9 night cruise in Jan 2018 to the South pacific and I read on Carnival web page that there will be two formal nights.

Are formal nights optional? Do you have to attend?

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers,

Renee
Sydney, Australia
7,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
The Formal Night dress code only applies if you are dining in the Main Dining Rooms. You can stay casual and dine in the buffet instead on those nights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

and Sea Princess Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific cruise in August 2019

Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Sydney
163 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
You don't have to attend, you can just eat at the buffet on those nights. There is also a wide range of "formal" clothing worn so don't feel that you need a ball gown. If you're happy to wear a collared shirt (men) and cocktail dress/black pants and nice tope (women) then you will be ok, especially at the early seating.
Batehaven, Australia
10,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
My neighbours and their two teenage kids regularly cruise on Carnival Spirit or Legend out of Sydney to the Islands. They say anything goes for formal night dress, many casually dressed as they do, shorts and jeans is the best clobber they take.

I told them they were slackos, I may have even uttered that dreadful word...'Bogan' and were letting the side down. Then we made peace and had an adult beverage in the driveway, as you do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Brisbane
381 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by KC&CruiseOn
Hi

We are going on a 9 night cruise in Jan 2018 to the South pacific and I read on Carnival web page that there will be two formal nights.

Are formal nights optional? Do you have to attend?

Thanks
There are only two mandatory things on a cruise, the safety lecture on boarding day, and saluting the captain whenever you meet him.

The only cruise line that still thinks that "formal" means actual formal wear is Cunard. Less and less people worry about it nowadays. Smart casual will get you in anywhere. I would recommend shoes, as thongs in the dining room always puts me off, I don't know about anybody else.
Auckland, New Zealand
441 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Blue jeans and a polo shirt exceed the minimum required standard for formal dress on Carnival. You can wear just about anything you want. A minority of passenger will dress up and the majority will do nothing.
Batehaven, Australia
10,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by SinbadThePorter
There are only two mandatory things on a cruise, the safety lecture on boarding day, and saluting the captain whenever you meet him.

The only cruise line that still thinks that "formal" means actual formal wear is Cunard. Less and less people worry about it nowadays. Smart casual will get you in anywhere. I would recommend shoes, as thongs in the dining room always puts me off, I don't know about anybody else.
You can bracket P&O UK with Cunard for formal dress. But their standards are slipping a little from my experiences recently.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

Batehaven, Australia
10,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MrYellowDuck
Blue jeans and a polo shirt exceed the minimum required standard for formal dress on Carnival. You can wear just about anything you want. A minority of passenger will dress up and the majority will do nothing.
And that looks silly, a bloke who has made the effort and put on his tuxedo or suit sitting next to some bloke in T shirt and shorts or ripped daggy jeans in the MDR. I am no snob but I would not do it, nor do I like it. Some decorum, please.

As I have said a million times before..'If a cruise Line is not going to enforce their dress codes/policy, then get rid of it !!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Auckland, New Zealand
441 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by NSWP
And that looks silly, a bloke who has made the effort and put on his tuxedo or suit sitting next to some bloke in T shirt and shorts or ripped daggy jeans in the MDR. I am no snob but I would not do it, nor do I like it. Some decorum, please.
The person in the penguin suit is the odd one out and will be feeling it; especially on an Australian or NZ itinerary. At a broadly affordable price point for most the right option for blending in when dressing like that is to sail with Cunard.
Batehaven, Australia
10,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MrYellowDuck
The person in the penguin suit is the odd one out and will be feeling it; especially on an Australian or NZ itinerary. At a broadly affordable price point for most the right option for blending in when dressing like that is to sail with Cunard.
Cunard/P&O UK, they are the formal wear lines these days. I have done both.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
7,647 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
When I went on Carnival Legend last November I was somewhat surprised at how many people dressed up. Sure, there weren't many tuxedos but there were a good number of men wearing suits or smart jackets. Quite a few women wore cocktail dresses or smart pants with very dressy tops. Even most of the kids were dressed up. The photographers were flat out taking formal pics, and everyone that we saw seemed to really enjoy being dressed up on both of the two formal nights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

and Sea Princess Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific cruise in August 2019

Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Brisbane, Australia
94 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by NSWP

As I have said a million times before..'If a cruise Line is not going to enforce their dress codes/policy, then get rid of it !!!!
Could not agree more! I have generally found that Australian based cruises (eg: P&O, Carnival Legend & Spirit) don't worry too much about formal dress standards. Many Aussies prefer not to dress up. On overseas cruises which attract many Brits and Americans it is quite the opposite no matter what cruise line you are on.
Sydney Australia
296 Posts
Joined May 2015
In my experience on the Legend most in the dining room, and even in the main bars, dress up for formal nights more than they do for casual nights. Now dressing up means a collared long sleeve shirt, smart casual trousers and maybe a jacket for the men and something sparkly for the women but they do dress up. We dress up to that extent if we are going to eat in the dining room.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming cruises
Celebrity Solstice 4 January 2019 13 nights Sydney - Auckland
Carnival Legend 26 November 2018 4 nights Melbourne - Sydney

Past cruises
Celebrity Millennium 24 September 2017 11 nights Japanese Explorer
Carnival Legend 7 January 2017 10 nights Sydney NZ South Island Sydney
Celebrity Solstice 8 October 2016 14 nights Sydney to Singapore
Carnival Legend 30 December 2015 10 nights Sydney NZ north island Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
5,257 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Just got off Carnival Spirit on Tuesday. And its pretty casual in main dining room on formal night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (icat2000)

Upcoming Cruise
Golden Princess, 7 nights Melbourne to Perth, 15 March 2018

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 | Sun Princess - Fiji & New Caledonia December 2014 |Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore March 2015 |Caribbean Princess - Iceland TA September 2015 |PO UK Oceana - Mediterranean September 2015 |Pacific Jewel - Eden December 2015 |Golden Princess - Tasmania January 2016 |Diamond Princess - Perth to Singapore March 2016 |Celebrity Constellation - Greek Islands April 2016 | Carnival Spirit South Pacific October 2017 |
Batehaven, Australia
10,084 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by zowie57
Could not agree more! I have generally found that Australian based cruises (eg: P&O, Carnival Legend & Spirit) don't worry too much about formal dress standards. Many Aussies prefer not to dress up. On overseas cruises which attract many Brits and Americans it is quite the opposite no matter what cruise line you are on.
Agree with your agreeance !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature