Review Pacific Star R626

DencruiserNZ

Part One

Hi Everyone. I'm going to try and write a review of my cruise

(excuse the spelling)

This was my first cruise

Embarkation

It was the Star's last call into Auckland for this year. Our tickets said to arrive between midday and 3 pm. We arrived by taxi at midday and as I took the bags out of the taxi sercurity were loading them straight onto the trolley to take to the ship. The queue was quite long so we decide to go for a walk and get a coffee and meet up with some friends who were seeing us off. Auckland terminal is in a great location with lots of cafe's very close. Was the right decision as when we got back to the ship there was no line. Filled in the sickness form, bag's x-rayed, customs, then cruise card, posed for a photo and bang on the ship!!! It was actually a bit too fast to take in. Like Trevor i was a bit dissapointed with sailaway. No music, it started to rain, the only excitement was the horn which they warned they were giving an extra blow as it was the Star's last call this season.

Cabin

We were on Baja 6077. Having read some comments i walked in and had a really good look at cleaniness of the cabin. Our bags were already there and the cabin was spotless and remained so for the duration of the journey. Bigger than I imagined and the window bigger than I thought it would be. Our stewardess arrived (Monica) introduced herself, told us about muster stations and sent us up for lunch. She remembered our names from the first meeting and everything we asked for was done in minutes (Extra pillow's, broken plug in basin, extra bottles of water). The only negative thing was i thought that the bathrooms were dated with the pink walls and also a little tight for us tall guys and i'm not that tall (how did you manage Trevor?)

Food

Over all I enjoyed the food. I ended up eating breakfast mainly in the dining room because I found I didn't eat as much. I liked the omletes they made there. I didn't really like the food they serve d for lunch in the lido buffet and it was often quite crowded. Also the food was never very hot.

The burgers were ok. Could have been better if they would have toasted the buns and had some other things to add to them (fryed onions). Also the toast was almost always cold (a pet hate) both upstairs and downstairs. I also enjoyed having lunch and dinner downstairs as you met more people.

We were on second seating for dinner. Our waiters were Jocolyn and Alan. I enjoyed all the evening meals and the variety. Very good service. So good we didn't eat in the Club Bahia, although we wanted to, as didn't want to miss our waiters. We also made friends with several other waiters that had served us several time for breakfast or lunch and they would often join in the laughter at our table.

Drinks

Enjoyed the Casablanca Lounge the most but often the music was either too loud or too soft. If one passenger complained it was too loud it was turned down so you couldn't hear anything at all. Enjoyed having cocktails outside the Casablanca lounge looking out the windows at 5 each night. The atmosphere was nice in Dukes bar but i found the seats uncomfortable if you are over 5'5" (how did you manage Trevor)

We did have every cocktail on the list and the last few days having our favourtites. Trevor mentioned that they drank the ship dry of bourban I think. Our passangers were i guess 80% Kiwi's and they ran out of dark rum (coruba, black heart) as we left Auckland. I found this amasing!! Surely in the service industry you need to cater to the tastes of your customers.

Entertainment

Our cruise director was Michael Whitmore, Comedian was Mike Harris, Illusionist John Taylor. The shows were "Love the Night Life", G'Day G'Day", "Dance", and "Michael Whitmore in Cabaret". I saw all the show except for Dance and the comedian. I thought they were great entertainment done in a differcult environment.

Found heaps to do in the day and even won $150 at bingo on the first day. I went to the art auction which i found very informative and I learn't alot. Was amased at what some people were buying. The night parties were great fun, especially island night. One complaint was the DJ's. By the 6th night they were playing the same songs we had heard several time already. For us to notice that at midnight was bad. One of our party commented that there song selection for the 12 night cruises most get repetitive.

Sorry this is so long

some more interesting things to come in part two.

Great review Den, enjoyed reading about the Star. We're on there soon for the first time (have travelled Sky 3 times) so enjoy reading everything I can about the Star. Look forward to the next stage of your review. (and it's not too long at all).

Kerri

Great review dan

I know what you mean about the bathroom - hubby had to duck his head as a few times he forgot and wacked it on the door frame as he stepped into the bathroom!! It was quite funny. Find it interesting that they didn't play music when you left Auckland - we were on the first cruise out of Auckland and they played music and sounded the horn a few times.

looking forward to part 2.

cheers Rach

R626 review part 2

The Captains Table

Two days before the second formal dinner our table of 6 was approached by the Maitre d’, Eduardo, to see if we would like to dine with the Captain on the formal night. It was a huge surprise as we were often quite noisy and very casual and friendly with the staff. We said yes then thought “bloody hell”. We were all very nervous and tried to think of things we could talk about. It ended up being the highlight of our trip. Captain Lorenzo Paoletti was very relaxed and informal. He put all his guests at ease and obviously has a very good working relationship with all his staff. We had our usual waitress for the night and she was joking with him as well. He spoke of the part of Italy he has a home in and was interested in where we all lived in New Zealand. We all enjoyed lot’s of joking and laughter. It seemed funny to be doing the chicken dance with the Captain. He stayed and talked after dinner for quite a while which meant we missed the show “Dance” that night and were still in the dining room when they started the Champagne Waterfall. Lot’s of people told us the next day that “Dance” was the best show but I bet given the chance to change places they would have. It was the highlight of the cruise for us.

Early morning incident.

Early (4:30 – 5 am) on day three (Mystery Island day) I awoke to the ship shaking and heavily vibrating. (I should mention that normally I am a very good sleeper). The boat had not felt like this at all previously. As we got out of bed to look out the window there was a total power loss. (Luckily we always carry a small torch) The boat was completely stopped in the water. We were on Baja deck and you could faintly hear a siren going off deep in the ship. I open the cabin door and lots of people had been woken up and were looking down the passageway. An officer was standing by the forward stairs and a passenger from the next cabin went down to ask him what was happening. He told her that everything was under control and to stay in our cabins The power came back on in about 10 minutes but we had no air conditioning in our cabins till about 4 pm and in the corridor I don’t think we had air con for the rest of the cruise. No announcement was every made as to what had happened. When we spoke to some wait staff they were surprised that we had lost power too. I got the impression they thought it was just crew quarters. I spoke with a lady on Mystery island that day and she was walking the decks early before the power went off and she said there were lots of officers on the bridge and when the engines started there was only one going. I didn’t see the wake so I can’t say if this was true. Rumors flew around the ship and most people were woken by the shaking. Some of the rumours were that there was engine fire, hit a sand bar, etc. No public announcement made this situation worse. It was quite scary at the time. There was another incident on the last afternoon just after lunch. A water pipe on the Aloha forward starboard burst, flooding corridors on Aloha and some cabins on Baja. It meant that the Pacific lounge could not be used all afternoon and racing and bingo was held on Lido. (bingo in the rain). Passengers were told of the burst pipe straight away and keep informed. It wasn’t an issue for most passengers and was handled well by staff but I did wonder how dry the carpets would be the next day for the new passengers as the water was quite deep halfway down the Baja starboard corridor.

Disembarkation

OK this was my first cruise but I didn’t expect to be out of bed showered, dressed and leaving our cabins by 6am!!!! I did expect to pack my bag the night before and put it outside my door but as we were on second sitting we had to have it packed by 5pm and outside so we could have the fun on our last night we had planned, with our favorite cocktails and spending time with our new friends. I would have preferred to pack after dinner.

We were the first ship into the new Brisbane Terminal so we were expecting a few teething problems. The queues for breakfast were horrendous and it was near impossible to find a table to eat. We saw the Maitre d’ before we left the ship and he said that they had already made the decision to open the restaurant and buffet earlier in future. I went for a walk and came back to my group and said “you have got to see how they are getting the bags off the ship”!!!!!. I watched several bags fall off the very narrow conveyor belt and many simply slide back down into the ship. I was even more amazed when still in Brisbane 10 days later I watched the local news and saw a women interviewed about her bag falling into the drink! Any problems at the new terminal are clearly the Port Authorities and lack of planning.

We were off the boat by 7:30 and at the airport to pick up our rental by 10. A friend was the last colour called and she left at 10am. Only a few obvious teething problems.

Summary.

I thought the ship was well run and very efficient. I preferred to eat in the dining room as I like to meet new people. If you didn’t really get on with them you didn’t need to cross their path again but if you clicked it was easy to say hi or sit next to them in show.

I didn’t buy any photo’s till the last day. Mainly I was too busy doing everything else. I gathered up all the photos of my group I could find them picked out the best ones.

The overall service was very good and I thought the staff were very hard working. Many

remembered ours names in a few days.

Security was never an issue and when a drunk guy was abusive to staff in the lounge one night it was dealt with in a professional manner with minimum interruption to other passengers.

There were odors. Next time we would take a room freshener for our bathroom to counter the smell of cigarette smoke from the next cabin and there were often sewage smells in the stairs but not strong and some people seemed to have trouble with their toilets throughout the cruise. We didn’t.

I’m not sure what I expected in a cruise only that I wanted to do one. Now I have I’m converted. Yes!! Another cruise junkie aboard!!! YES Today we have booked our next cruise. Different ship, different ports. Now I need to start a roll call for Pacific Sun N717

Great review dan

I know what you mean about the bathroom - hubby had to duck his head as a few times he forgot and wacked it on the door frame as he stepped into the bathroom!! It was quite funny. Find it interesting that they didn't play music when you left Auckland - we were on the first cruise out of Auckland and they played music and sounded the horn a few times.

looking forward to part 2.

cheers Rach

Hi Rach

there might have been music at the Lido but we were standing down by the outback bar. Seemed a bit of an anti clmax after all the excitment. Next time I get to go under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and past the Opera House so I don't care about music now lol

cheers

Den

Hi Rach

there might have been music at the Lido but we were standing down by the outback bar. Seemed a bit of an anti clmax after all the excitment. Next time I get to go under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and past the Opera House so I don't care about music now lol

cheers

Den

When is your next cruise Den?

Karen

oh my goodness now I really better get myself organized and write my revirew of 626 Sun:eek:

That was fantastic Dencruiser, I have printed your review and will try to think through mine while I am at work if I get 5 min and then TRY to write when I return - midnight:mad:

Luci:)

Thanks for the review. Sitting at the captains table must have been so cool.

What theme nights did you have on your cruise? Did many people "get into it"?

We had country and western, rock 'n' roll and island night. Most people got into island night and a few for country and western. I think P & O are a bit slack not letting you know what nights there will be. I knew from these great message boards so we were all prepared for island night. I'm sure that more people would get involved if they know in advance. Other disapointment was most staff not getting dressed up. One of our group had sailed prevously on the Sun and all the staff in the dining room dressed for the theme nights. Some bar staff did have island shirts on and when we spoke to them they had brought them themselves to wear. Dining room staff were not allowed to dress up.

When is your next cruise Den?

Karen

Hi Karen

Our next cruise in on the Sun N717 on the 30th November. Sydney, Whitsundays, Cairns, Port Douglas, Wallis Island, Brisbane and Sydney. 10 nights. We could have gone next season on Star from Auckland but decided we wanted to try a different ship this time and couldn't wait till the Dawn starts.

Other disapointment was most staff not getting dressed up. One of our group had sailed prevously on the Sun and all the staff in the dining room dressed for the theme nights. Some bar staff did have island shirts on and when we spoke to them they had brought them themselves to wear. Dining room staff were not allowed to dress up.

We noticed that difference on Star too. And I think the lack of enthusiasm rubbed off on the passengers as well.

And putting on my cynical hat for a second, I think the main reason they don't tell you in advance what the theme nights are is so that they can try and sucker you into buying some of the hideously expensive theme merchandise that they sell on board.

Kym

And putting on my cynical hat for a second, I think the main reason they don't tell you in advance what the theme nights are is so that they can try and sucker you into buying some of the hideously expensive theme merchandise that they sell on board.

Kym

You're probably right there Kym. They probably hate boards like these where we can find out from others who have already been.

Karen

I have decided that I am really disappointed now. :( This cruise is the first cruise where we have no kids and can stay up for the parties and have someone else to dress up with. We have bought matching pjs and have been trolling party shops, second hand shops and ebay for our retro outfits.

I remember the expensive retro stuff in January on the Star. I don't ever remember andy rock and roll type stuff for sale on other cruises. So that blows the cynical thoughts of overpriced merchandise for that night. All their other stuff is expensive. I rang P&O and asked about theme nights. Got the standard response that they don't know which ones will be on each cruise. Expect a choice of.... They did include PJ night. Wonder what will happen on future cruises.

We also had country and western and some people did dress up, rock and roll also but the big one was Hawaiian as every one knew about it and a lot bought thinggs in Port Vila,

That was the big night and they tried to get everyone to participate doing the congo and dance and have fun. THat was held outside in the Lido. Live music stopped at 11 which was a disappointment as that left us looking for somewhere to go. Wasn't good as only taped music from then on.

I didn't think there was too much in the shops for fancy dress but then I never mean't to put myself out as we aren't the sort who really dress up.

I think the main reason they don't tell you in advance what the theme nights are is so that they can try and sucker you into buying some of the hideously expensive theme merchandise that they sell on board.

Kym

Bugger that!!! if i have it then great...if i dont, too bad. I dont think i will be purchasing dress up clothes that i will only wear once at ridiculous prices.

island night is the best.. i wish they had more nights up on deck.. wat is the norm for 7 night cruises?(theme nights, nights on deck etc) and do they still hav island night 4 a qld cruise??

mystee, wasnt the dj playing after 11 on ur cruise??

On the 7 night cruise i did, there was an island night and formal night. No country and Western or fright night or others.

It might have changed now. Hope I have been of help and I'm not sure if it's different for the QLD cruises. :)

I love island night too. It is the best fun. Have never been on an Island night on Pacific Sun, only on Pacific Sky. What are the Island nights like on Pacific Sun? Are they as good as on Pacific Sky? :confused: I still have my lays (SPEL?) from my other cruises for the next cruise, hopefully next year! :D

Hi Karen

Our next cruise in on the Sun N717 on the 30th November. Sydney, Whitsundays, Cairns, Port Douglas, Wallis Island, Brisbane and Sydney. 10 nights. We could have gone next season on Star from Auckland but decided we wanted to try a different ship this time and couldn't wait till the Dawn starts.

Oops Having a post cruise moment. I must be wishing our next cruise is in November but it's actually 30th May but it will arrive pretty quick

thanks for taking the time to write your review.

What a thrill to eat at the captains table, there must have been some wonderful stories told there> i am sure i would have missed the show just to say you have had dinner with the captain. not sure if they did that on our cruise but we did have early dinner so that may make a difference.

Archived