MSC Melody Retired

CruiseAdict218

MSC Cruises today confirmed that Melody, the smallest ship in the MSC Cruises’ fleet, is retiring from service and will no longer offer cruises on behalf of the Geneva-based company.

The decision to withdraw one of its first and most traditional cruise ships reaffirms MSC’s focus on cutting-edge service and reflects the company’s continued desire to offer travellers the highest standards in product innovation and the maximum in comfort, elegance and technology across the entire fleet, according to a statement from the line.

Weighing 35,143-tons, measuring 204.7 metres in length and 27.35 metres in width, Melody has been part of the MSC Cruises’ fleet since 1995, when she was originally purchased as the Starship Atlantic.

The ship was renamed Melody and sailed from Florida to Durban, where she received significant refurbishments and was transformed into the Melody, with a capacity of just over 1,000 guests in 532 cabins.

The ship left Durban for Genoa on her maiden voyage on May 1 1997, and has sailed various itineraries all over the world ever since, most recently in the Mediterranean, Black Sea and South Africa, offering a relaxed and informal cruise-ship experience.

MSC Cruises has set up a vast array of alternative choices for passengers who have already booked a cabin on Melody for the upcoming summer season.

Over the next few days these passengers will all be contacted, either directly by the company or through partner travel agents, and informed about all possible options including an upgrade onboard one of the other ships in the MSC fleet.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/8500-msc-retires-melody.html

I think there is a growing market for smaller ships as a relief from and backlash against the 'mega-monster' trend that cruise lines appear to be pushing us on. It looks like MSC don't want to compete in that market which I find a pity. I am surprised they took bookings on her though - insurance I imagine in case the sale fell through.

I wonder who bought her? And for what purpose?

In the thirties people didn't sail on Cunard or French Line or Italian Line, they sailed on the Queen Mary or the Ile de France or the Rex.

Today the line is the brand, and it is impossible to make the experience of a 30 year old ship consistent with that of a newbuild.

In the thirties people didn't sail on Cunard or French Line or Italian Line, they sailed on the Queen Mary or the Ile de France or the Rex.

Today the line is the brand, and it is impossible to make the experience of a 30 year old ship consistent with that of a newbuild.

You are right but there was a bit of branding even back then. On the Southampton - New York runs, White Star were known to have the better service while Cunard were faster. Since they were forcibly merged, and their ownership since passed around, Cunard have always boasted of their "White Star service":-)

My first 'cruise' experience was on the QE2, 40 years old when I was aboard. As a ship, she wasn't much more than a (very large) passenger ferry in terms of luxury and appointments. However, the service, glassware, crockery, cutlery etc. were the best I have ever experienced. A line can do a lot with an old ship if it wants.

Can't say she was one of my favourites. Really missed there not being a theatre or spa or even a fridge in the cabin. She also seems a bit dingy in places. However in her defence, izs the best service I've had on any ship.

Even before I reached the ship an off duty crew member insisted on helping me with my luggage as the taxi driver had dropped me at the wrong place. It was my first cruisenafter receiving black card status, so some ofmthe onboard treatment may have been due to being a "celebrity" as their only BC member onboard. My robe was missing from my cabin, so I called housekeeping, it was delivered in less than 5 minutes by an officer (albeit junior). Every eveningnat dinner, the Maitre D' would come over to greet us and make sure everything was in order.

Later in the cruise I was seated between the captain and the Hotel Manager at a gala dinner and we got around to talking about my views on the ship and the service. I told them whilst I preferred the newer bigger ships, the service was amazing. They explained it was because it was a small crew and they all knew each other and felt part of a team. They each knew if someone didn't do something, someone they knew would have ro do it instead. That doesn't happen on the bigger ships because it's such an enormous crew there's not such a team spirit and they just feel like an insignificant cog in aa very large wheel. They also told me that it was more fun for them being able to have banter with the passengers as it was easier for them to get to know them.

Yes, small ships are the new luxury.

I can live without the climbing wall, the ice rink, the space ship ride and the rotating, panoramic restaurant. I think this is the idea of Yacht Club - a small ship within a big ship.

Might go find myself a pedalo with a butler.

Yes, small ships are the new luxury.

I can live without the climbing wall, the ice rink, the space ship ride and the rotating, panoramic restaurant. I think this is the idea of Yacht Club - a small ship within a big ship.

Might go find myself a pedalo with a butler.

Although I don't mind the larger ships, I do try to avoid any that have too much of the fun fair stuff onboard!

Would love to try Yacht Club but I also like to get away a lot and those 2 aims are mutually exclusive!

Archived