Long Drive to the Cruise

Noreen411

Hi

We live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and our next cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally we were planning to fly down the night before the cruise leaves, stay in a hotel that night in Fort Lauderdale, board the ship the next day and fly home at the end of the cruise.

I booked the flight home a while ago since the price was decent but have held off booking the flight down as it’s been more than we normally pay to fly to Florida.

My husband suggested driving down. We would need to rent a car since we have a flight back already booked. I reserved a rental car in case we decide to do the drive down. He thinks it will be a fun road trip.

We were thinking of leaving two days before the cruise and just drive through to Fort Lauderdale and still stay in our pre-cruise hotel the night before.

Any advice? Is this a crazy idea? Would you break it up more?

Thank you in advance.

I personally wouldn't call what is probably an 18hr drive on I-95 fun

I would have to agree :p Especially adding in rental car and gas costs. Seems like it would be much more pleasant to spend the extra $$ on plane tickets. If you have the time to "break it up more", I'd consider still flying and doing a couple extra nights somewhere in Florida.

Hi

We live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and our next cruise leaves out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Originally we were planning to fly down the night before the cruise leaves, stay in a hotel that night in Fort Lauderdale, board the ship the next day and fly home at the end of the cruise.

I booked the flight home a while ago since the price was decent but have held off booking the flight down as it’s been more than we normally pay to fly to Florida.

My husband suggested driving down. We would need to rent a car since we have a flight back already booked. I reserved a rental car in case we decide to do the drive down. He thinks it will be a fun road trip.

We were thinking of leaving two days before the cruise and just drive through to Fort Lauderdale and still stay in our pre-cruise hotel the night before.

Any advice? Is this a crazy idea? Would you break it up more?

Thank you in advance.

Southwest out of EWR on Sept 8th, $89

We drove from Minnesota to Ft Lauderdale once for a cruise. There was 5 of us so saved alot of money over airfare. (8-900 dollars) We actually drove almost straight through. We did stop a couple of hours at rest stop so I could get some sleep. We had driven long distances before so everyone knew what to expect. Kids had games and movies and we brought along snacks and drinks. Just plan on stopping fairly regularly to stretch out your legs. I did seem like it was much longer drive home afterwards. :DI would do it again.

We rented a car and drove both ways from LI a year ago. Flights for President's week were insane. It would have been $3500 for the 5 of us to fly. We stopped at the NC/SC border the first night. We were spending a couple of days at WDW before our cruise. We stayed there for 2 nights and then drove to Fort Lauderdale the morning of the cruise. On the way home we stopped somewhere in NC for the night. Originally my kids didn't want to drive but they ended up liking it. They were disappointed this past summer when we flew to WDW instead of driving. Just make sure you add everything up to make sure it makes sense to drive over flying. I would have no problem doing it again if there was significant savings.

The flights I am looking at ewr to fll on April 1 are mostly over $300 per person. I have been looking at jet blue.

Our flight home is only $138 per person.

I have some jet blue credit and points so could get the price down.

The bigger issue is now my husband who is super excited about a road trip. He does not like flying commercial flights. The extra time to get to the flight, the rules about what you can and can’t pack, being stuck in a seat for a few hours. And I always book the extra space/extra speed seats.

He can fly himself as flew planes in the Marines. I think that’s why he doesn’t like to be a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We drove from Minnesota to Ft Lauderdale once for a cruise. There was 5 of us so saved alot of money over airfare. (8-900 dollars) We actually drove almost straight through. We did stop a couple of hours at rest stop so I could get some sleep. We had driven long distances before so everyone knew what to expect. Kids had games and movies and we brought along snacks and drinks. Just plan on stopping fairly regularly to stretch out your legs. I did seem like it was much longer drive home afterwards. :DI would do it again.

Glad to hear it worked out and you would do it again.

I like the idea of straight through since I would be anxious to get there.

We have the pre cruise night already booked in a hotel in Ft Lauderdale.

We rented a car and drove both ways from LI a year ago. Flights for President's week were insane. It would have been $3500 for the 5 of us to fly. We stopped at the NC/SC border the first night. We were spending a couple of days at WDW before our cruise. We stayed there for 2 nights and then drove to Fort Lauderdale the morning of the cruise. On the way home we stopped somewhere in NC for the night. Originally my kids didn't want to drive but they ended up liking it. They were disappointed this past summer when we flew to WDW instead of driving. Just make sure you add everything up to make sure it makes sense to drive over flying. I would have no problem doing it again if there was significant savings.

I hear you on the holiday week flights.

We would be going on Easter so also run into spring break.

Wasn’t planned that way, I chose the cruise because it’s over my birthday.

Glad to hear the drive worked ok for your family

I would price this out and then decide if it makes sense.

Arriving the day before as you have planned is what I would do if you go that route.

Keith

Sound advice [emoji3]

Now it’s become more my husband wanting the road trip than just price.

I should have just booked it originally instead of even mentioning the price.

Thank you

We will be driving from Connecticut to Port Canaveral in a couple of months. This is the first time we will drive to a port. While flying down was not a big expense, my husband who doesn't like to fly, would prefer to drive. It certainly is going to be an adventure....I don't know how fun it will be! There is a chance we may have to stop at the ER to address our stab wounds when we arrive in Florida and then have to request separate staterooms once we board the ship! LOL

We're kinda weird that we really do like long driving trips. We would do it. Just enjoy the open road. I also hate flying but will do it when needed.

I wouldn’t call I95 the open road! I avoid it whenever possible. OP, did you add on the cost for gas and tolls, too?

We will be driving from Connecticut to Port Canaveral in a couple of months. This is the first time we will drive to a port. While flying down was not a big expense, my husband who doesn't like to fly, would prefer to drive. It certainly is going to be an adventure....I don't know how fun it will be! There is a chance we may have to stop at the ER to address our stab wounds when we arrive in Florida and then have to request separate staterooms once we board the ship! LOL

My husband feels the same, he wants to drive.

It started when I mentioned the price being higher than normal and that prompted him wanting the road trip down.

I am not sure how fun it will be either but I guess it’s all about compromise

We drove from central Florida (Ocala) to Fort Lauderdale a few months ago, leaving at about 9:00 a.m. We stopped in Orlando for ninety minutes, then began what should have been a slightly less than 3-hour trip to Boca Raton to spend the night. Because it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it took over 6 hours to get to Boca. Worst driving experience of our lives (we are in our mid-sixties). Please look at your dates carefully - if you will be driving on a day before/after a major holiday, please reconsider driving on I-95.

We're kinda weird that we really do like long driving trips. We would do it. Just enjoy the open road. I also hate flying but will do it when needed.

My husband hates to fly. I don’t live it but will tolerate it.

Our last few cruises were right out of Bayonne NJ so about a 1 hour drive from home.

Thank you for the positive thoughts on a long drive

We drove from central Florida (Ocala) to Fort Lauderdale a few months ago, leaving at about 9:00 a.m. We stopped in Orlando for ninety minutes, then began what should have been a slightly less than 3-hour trip to Boca Raton to spend the night. Because it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it took over 6 hours to get to Boca. Worst driving experience of our lives (we are in our mid-sixties). Please look at your dates carefully - if you will be driving on a day before/after a major holiday, please reconsider driving on I-95.

This might be the perfect reason why we should not drive.

We would leave the day before Easter Sunday and hope to arrive Easter Sunday night.

Traffic is terrible on Easter.

Thank you

Just pony up the fare. How much is your time worth? I couldn't imagine driving that far to save a few hundred dollars. That's crazy. And the person who drove from MN to save $900??? 55+ hours roundtrip driving. Woah! For $900!?

Just pony up the fare. How much is your time worth? I couldn't imagine driving that far to save a few hundred dollars. That's crazy. And the person who drove from MN to save $900??? 55+ hours roundtrip driving. Woah! For $900!?

It’s not really about money

My husband is excited for a road trip now