Don't go to specialty restaurants

tommyj4

After 20 cruises on Oasis a Class ships we have only had 1 meal total in the MDR. Specialty dining, in suite dining, Costal kitchen and the WJ have done the job for us.

Lamb chops in MDR is pretty good. Used to be night 3, but moved to night 6 on our Jan Oasis cruise.

We planned in advance and had it in CK on night 6

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yes. We never step foot in the MDR. There is no need to have a seat reserved for us.

Different strokes for different folks. We enjoy the MDR and on nights we don't expect to be there, we let our wait staff know that we won't be there. We are always on time, and we let our table mates know that about us, so if 15 or so minutes have passed and we are not seated, chances are something unusual happened and we are not joining them for dinner. Quite unusual for us.

Different strokes for different folks. We enjoy the MDR and on nights we don't expect to be there, we let our wait staff know that we won't be there. We are always on time, and we let our table mates know that about us, so if 15 or so minutes have passed and we are not seated, chances are something unusual happened and we are not joining them for dinner. Quite unusual for us.

How often do you not go to MDR?

I'm glad you like the MDR. I wish more people were like you and would stay out of the Windjammer.;)

Agree they are getting too pricey; also if not free Sabor should be a minimal up charge similar to Johnny Rockets - there is no simpler/cheaper food on the planet than Mexican.

I remember my first trip on Allure in 2012 and Sabor was $10pp for whatever you wanted on the menu. Things have certainly changed.

How often do you not go to MDR?

If a ship has Izumi, we go to Izumi once; this past sailing on a nine night Navigator they had a Mongolian night in the WJ, so we tried it. I had never seen a Mongolian menu anytime on a ship. It was good. So on our most recent sailing we did not go to the MDR twice.

Most nights we enjoy dinner in the MDR.

If a ship has Izumi, we go to Izumi once; this past sailing on a nine night Navigator they had a Mongolian night in the WJ, so we tried it. I had never seen a Mongolian menu anytime on a ship. It was good. So on our most recent sailing we did not go to the MDR twice.

We went into Izumi on Splendour out of Venice in October 2014 with friends for my birthday and had a great time but not sure we would go back.

We have MTD, no reservations, and usually eat in the WJ. We kind of fly by the seat-of-our-pants, and grab something when we want it. It's a vacation, and I don't want to live by the clock. The only thing I don't like in the WJ is the crappy salad dressings. No flavor and very runny.

I have a question for those who frequently done in WJ. Do you choose MTD? It seems the line could better allocate staff if they were not concerned with who doesn't show up to their assigned tables. Just my two cents. We're not fans of the evening meal in WJ.

I agree with you Tommyj4. I started a thread a couple of years ago i. Which I said that I simply didn’t understand why anyone would want to pay for Specialty Restaurants on board. Someone pointed out to me that for many Americans who live in rural areas, good restaurants are not readily available, so they enjoy trying different cuisine. Coming from the UK where it’s rarely difficult to find somewhere good to eat, that shut me up. It just hadn’t occurred to me.

This, for most of my family and circle of friends cruises, are the only way to eat anything but chain restaurants or southern home cooking.

I have never paid full price for specialty dining, I don't really think it is that much better than MDR, in fact, I tend to find them cramped.

So the answer is just bother adding sufficient staff to a venue that customers are choosing to use? The place was packed. RCI is showing a pretty decent bottom line. Hire some people.

It isn't just a matter of hiring some more people. At a land based restaurant these hired by your restaurant, go home to sleep. On a ship every employee has to be housed on board the ship.

It was great because we were with friends we met in our pre- cruise hotel in Venice and shared a water taxi to the ship with.

The Japanese food was nice but i prefer Italian or Steakhouse food.

It is fine if the type of food just is't your favorite. DH and I see no reason to pay extra for something we can get in the MDR. Japanese food is NOT on the MDR menu, and we never have seen Mongolian, which is what caught our fancy on our recent NV sailing We love Japanese food at home, but if the Izumi experience (service and food) wasn't good, we would not continue doing it. We have had experiences at some of the other specialties, usually because we were comped in some way and they have been good experiences.

I'm glad you like the MDR. I wish more people were like you and would stay out of the Windjammer.;)

Not us. We enjoy the MDR and an occasion SD. We also, on sea days, love the wonderful Tutti salad bar in the MDR. Was impressed with the dessert table with the chocolate fountain on our recent Anthem cruise. Do you eat all of your meals in the WJ?

Not us. We enjoy the MDR and an occasion SD. We also, on sea days, love the wonderful Tutti salad bar in the MDR. Was impressed with the dessert table with the chocolate fountain on our recent Anthem cruise. Do you eat all of your meals in the WJ?

In all of our cruises we have done the MDR for lunch, 2X. First time was disasterous -- I hated the experience; this last time, on Navigator it was very nice. I ordered from the menu and then added some items from the salad bar and the Chocolate dessert table was fabulous....maybe next time, just choose from the dessert table.

It isn't just a matter of hiring some more people. At a land based restaurant these hired by your restaurant, go home to sleep. On a ship every employee has to be housed on board the ship.

Ok, but what happened to the bunks of the folks they let go?

I think the real solution us putting the right people in the right venue at the right time. Maybe there's an algorithm for that.

How do you find out what the menu will be in the Windjammer at night? I love Mongolian food, but we usually go to the WJ only when nothing on the MDR menu sounds good to us and we've only run into Mongolian night twice.

Is the WJ menu posted somewhere, or do you just have to ask on the ship? Do you ask Guest Services or someone in the WJ?

As always, thanks to the experienced folks who share their information on CC.

Margy

Ok, but what happened to the bunks of the folks they let go?

I think the real solution us putting the right people in the right venue at the right time. Maybe there's an algorithm for that.

Preparation and planning by management could make better use of current crew members.

It depends which ship we are on, but we don't use the MDR.

How do you find out what the menu will be in the Windjammer at night? I love Mongolian food, but we usually go to the WJ only when nothing on the MDR menu sounds good to us and we've only run into Mongolian night twice.

Is the WJ menu posted somewhere, or do you just have to ask on the ship? Do you ask Guest Services or someone in the WJ?

As always, thanks to the experienced folks who share their information on CC.

Margy

You walk through and look around. There is no posted menu. Last week on Allure they did post in the Cruise Compass one day that the Windjammer was going to have a seafood bar that night.

In all of our cruises we have done the MDR for lunch, 2X. First time was disasterous -- I hated the experience; this last time, on Navigator it was very nice. I ordered from the menu and then added some items from the salad bar and the Chocolate dessert table was fabulous....maybe next time, just choose from the dessert table.

Yes, I'm on my upcoming Allure cruise, if available, I'll start with the dessert table.:D