Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

DH and I have been taking cruises since 1994 and have watched the dress codes lessen as society craved less formal options. I understand that people who have to fly to cruise ports have to pay for luggage or extra luggage and more formal clothes take up a lot of luggage space. However, after 44 cruises and 31 on Carnival, the dress code for elegant nights is pretty straightforward, but passengers still wear baseball caps and jeans with holes in them, women wearing short shorts, let alone t-shirts with offensive sayings on them. They are still allowed in the MDR on elegant nights. Is that what people really wear to restaurants that cater to elegant dining? Why even have a dress code if it is continually ignored? I just don't get it.

Recently on the Dream several men wearing shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on an elegant night. "Ladies" were wearing knee length pants and t-shirts, one even wore a tank top. I was offended and this display was just one of the many reasons this was my last Carnival cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you, I crave more formal days, but I am afraid our society as a whole is going the other direction. I was at the Melting Pot in the evening a few weeks ago and also saw shorts and t-shirts. I would love to see a more formal venue on the ships that I would gladly pay for. Forget paying for a good steak, I want to pay extra for the old cruise experience. $35 surcharge for a dinner from 1992.

Just my opinion....Elegant night is 2 nights out of 7. Carnival is asking you wear something that is minimum, "dressy"....Not a big deal in the least....They also say "Hey, even if you dont want to exert the smallest modicum of effort in getting dressed, no problem, just go to the buffet or order room service on those 2 nights" Talk about working with people. C'mon, how easy is that

I call major "horse pucky" to those who state "well i want to limit packing"....Oh please!!!! how much room does a pair of Dockers and a black dress take up in your suitcase. For guys, leave the jeans at home and take the dockers in the jeans place, problem solved. If your suitcase is packed that full that you cannot get another pair of pants or little black dress in it, buy another bag

Here is another excuse i have seen and it makes my jaw drop.....ready...."My husband doesnt own any dress pants"....LOL, are you kidding me????????????????????? You are spending $2000 for a cruise vacation and you are claiming you cant afford a $20 pair of pants? If you truly cant, then you shouldnt be going on a $2000 vacation. Again, pretty simple

I think the offenders fall into 2 categories, generally speaking. You got the ignorant crowd. These people think that a Elegant night out is rolling into the local Dennys on steak special night

Then you got the Contrarian group....these people are more troubling....."I will wear what i want to wear because i want to"

Me personally, i think a nice button down shirt and a pair of dress shorts is more than appropriate......BUT, and here is the BIG BUT....Carnival doesnt....Carnivals boat, Carnivals Rules....So on Elegant evenings, even tho i would rather wear dress shorts, i put on pants....again, pretty simple, it aint hard

I'm beginning to think that I'm in the minority when it comes to NOT worrying about what others are wearing at dinner time. Hardly a week goes by without someone commenting on how others are dressed, and how that "ruined" their dining. Maybe the time is long over due to do away with Elegant Night and go with either "Business Casual" or "Cruise Casual". And, instead of coming on here and whining about how certain other passengers are dressed at dinner time, why not voice your complaint directly to the Maitre D?

I'm beginning to think that I'm in the minority when it comes to NOT worrying about what others are wearing at dinner time. Hardly a week goes by without someone commenting on how others are dressed, and how that "ruined" their dining. Maybe the time is long over due to do away with Elegant Night and go with either "Business Casual" or "Cruise Casual". And, instead of coming on here and whining about how certain other passengers are dressed at dinner time, why not voice your complaint directly to the Maitre D?

Beach, if you look up the definition for Business Casual, that is essentially the dress code for Elegant Evenings....

Appropriate business casual dress typically includes slacks or khakis, dress shirt or blouse, open-collar or polo shirt, optional tie or seasonal sport coat, a dress or skirt at knee-length or below, a tailored blazer, knit shirt or sweater, and loafers or dress shoes that cover all or most of the foot.

To the OP,

You obviously have strong feelings about this. Rather than vent here, which accomplishes virtually nothing, have you considered contacting Carnival's Customer Care department? At a minimum, you would be getting your feelings across to someone who could "Either Enforce it of Forget It", as you put it. Not saying any change would be made, but if I felt as strongly, that's who I'd want to know.

But that's just me, and what do I know?

Recently on the Dream several men wearing shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on an elegant night. "Ladies" were wearing knee length pants and t-shirts, one even wore a tank top. I was offended and this display was just one of the many reasons this was my last Carnival cruise.

Bold my emphasis.

Did you complain to the Maitre D'? I think the only way Carnival will react to such matters is actual complaints - if folks don't say anything, then they will let the standards relax to keep the paying customers coming back.

I don't think I could ever be truly offended, mainly because there are lots of really truly offensive things that are about a million times worse. Annoyed would be my reaction, perhaps bemused or non-plussed.

I do think it is a sign of the very self-centric society that we have become: "Rules are for losers! I don't want to follow rules, so I will follow only those rules that are truly enforced to make sure I don't get arrested or given a ticket. And even then, if the ticket is small enough..."

Maybe time for a poke at Mr Heald on FB and see if he can create a poll?

"Do you think Carnival should strictly enforce the dress codes for Elegant Night?"

"Do you think Carnival should go back to truly Formal Night, requiring coats & ties?"

"What about top hats and tails?"

DH and I have been taking cruises since 1994 and have watched the dress codes lessen as society craved less formal options. I understand that people who have to fly to cruise ports have to pay for luggage or extra luggage and more formal clothes take up a lot of luggage space. However, after 44 cruises and 31 on Carnival, the dress code for elegant nights is pretty straightforward, but passengers still wear baseball caps and jeans with holes in them, women wearing short shorts, let alone t-shirts with offensive sayings on them. They are still allowed in the MDR on elegant nights. Is that what people really wear to restaurants that cater to elegant dining? Why even have a dress code if it is continually ignored? I just don't get it.

Who cares what others wear... Does not affect my cruise at all. If people want to dress up then great, if they don't, that's also great.. I see people who dress up each night for dinner, they do not wait for elegant night to dress up, to me that's fine also, but based on people saying people need to dress up on elegant night or their cruise in ruined, maybe the same should be said for people who dress up on non-elegant nights, maybe that ruins a cruise for people who don't like to dress up. Why people need carnival to tell them to dress up on a particular night, I don't get that. If people want to dress up they should, does not matter what night.

Sounds like this needs to be another John Heald poll. LOL

My wife and I try hard not to pay attention to what others are wearing in the MDR. I do recall several men wearing sky blue wacky suits with palm tree print or something on them last year. Yes, it was tacky, but it was a suit and more than applicable for formal night, LOL.

If I saw someone walk in like they just came from the pool on lido, I might be inclined to tell the Maitre'd to their job (politely of course).

I have seen folks turned away from the MDR wearing shorts on elegant night.

It should be the same on all ships and not just on some as that is confusing.

I have been turned away on a casual night because I was wearing flip flops. I have witnessed women wearing open toes sandals all the time without repercussion. Such a small attire detail, but the MatreD threw me out! I went back to my cabin and put on my black house slippers.

Who cares what others wear... Does not affect my cruise at all. If people want to dress up then great, if they don't, that's also great.. I see people who dress up each night for dinner, they do not wait for elegant night to dress up, to me that's fine also, but based on people saying people need to dress up on elegant night or their cruise in ruined, maybe the same should be said for people who dress up on non-elegant nights, maybe that ruins a cruise for people who don't like to dress up. Why people need carnival to tell them to dress up on a particular night, I don't get that. If people want to dress up they should, does not matter what night.

This!!! You're on a cruise. I really struggle to understand why people get so bothered about what others wear. It really has no impact on our enjoyment of a meal if someone is wearing shorts or flip flops in the MDR. Enjoy the cruise and the moment you're in!

This!!! You're on a cruise. I really struggle to understand why people get so bothered about what others wear. It really has no impact on our enjoyment of a meal if someone is wearing shorts or flip flops in the MDR. Enjoy the cruise and the moment you're in!

This!!! You're on a public internet cruise forum in a thread about enforcing the dress code. I really struggle to understand why there are those who get so bothered about people who post that they would like to see the rules enforced. While it may not impact you, the rules are there for a reason. As another poster mentioned, why do some feel that the rules should not apply to them? How difficult is it to put forth the minimal amount needed for elegant night? And if you feel like you can't abide by the dress code, then tell me why going to the lido buffet or another dining venue is not an option.

I think we all can agree that 90% of the people who show up at the MDR are dressed appropriately, whether its Casual or Elegant evenings (90% to generous? 80%?....point is, vast majority....better?) So, to all those people who are saying how can it ruin your dinner, i will give you an example....I see a guy who is showered (how can i tell he is showered, i will get to that in a minute), dressed in a pair of gym shorts, sneakers and a T shirt, is that going to ruin my "dining experience", not at all....What you will get, and i have seen it at least once on every cruise i have been on, especially if you have Early dining....You will get the guy who rolls off his lounger at 5:55 pm and thinks "Oh heck, dinner"!!!! Now, the common sense part of the brain should kick in and say "dude, its to late, just grab something for dinner at the buffet", but he isnt wired that way....Oh no, what he does is put a pair of gym shorts over his wet bathing suit, T shirt goes over the sweaty, suntan lotion covered body and what does this Einstein do, he hustles down to the MDR (if you think i am exaggerating, absolutely not, i have seen it happen over and over again). Now, if the staff stops him and says "Sir, you cant wear gym shorts", he can point to the nice showered guy i referenced earlier and say "Well he has gym shorts on"....So Carnival, in an effort to make people use common sense has to say "No Gym Shorts" in the MDR. It all goes back to basic common sense....Take a shower before dinner, put on deodorant, comb your hair. Put on decent clothes that is in conjunction with the evenings theme. Do we really have to break this down and look for loopholes here? I guess we do because you have a portion of the population that just dont get it. It has to be spelled out. Even when its spelled out, you get the portion of the population that want to "beat the system"....You are adults people, act like one instead of an 8 yr old

Who cares what others wear...

Is it possible this is the best answer for the entire thread? I think so.

I stepped aboard the Mardi Gras in 1976, a floating Carnival party where even then the dining room wasn’t full of ties and tuxes. The were greater in number but not 100%. It was hard to wear a tie with a leisure suit. Since then I’ve never been offended by any textile item in any ship dining room with 209 days at sea.

I’ve also wondered what would bother someone about shorts in the dining room for a seated dinner. Keep your eyes on your family and food and not under my table.

For those that cling to the Queen Mary dream about truly elegant evenings at sea then you’d do well to consider something without a funnel. There is little chance that the majority of passengers who were drinking from coconut monkeys and cheering as grown men yelling like Tarzan mere hours before will somehow transform their standards for attire to please you. I could be wrong.

Wear pants and a shirt on Cruise Elegant night, the rest is time wasted. As long as the crew of a ship are held hostage to having their contracts renewed by a guest survey then don’t count on mass enforcement.

I’d rather be at dinner with a family dressed in feathers having a great conversation about their day than listen to someone tell me they are platinum or aluminum and run to the maitre’d like a school child.

Edited by BallFour4

I think we all can agree that 90% of the people who show up at the MDR are dressed appropriately, whether its Casual or Elegant evenings (90% to generous? 80%?....point is, vast majority....better?) So, to all those people who are saying how can it ruin your dinner, i will give you an example....I see a guy who is showered (how can i tell he is showered, i will get to that in a minute), dressed in a pair of gym shorts, sneakers and a T shirt, is that going to ruin my "dining experience", not at all....What you will get, and i have seen it at least once on every cruise i have been on, especially if you have Early dining....You will get the guy who rolls off his lounger at 5:55 pm and thinks "Oh heck, dinner"!!!! Now, the common sense part of the brain should kick in and say "dude, its to late, just grab something for dinner at the buffet", but he isnt wired that way....Oh no, what he does is put a pair of gym shorts over his wet bathing suit, T shirt goes over the sweaty, suntan lotion covered body and what does this Einstein do, he hustles down to the MDR (if you think i am exaggerating, absolutely not, i have seen it happen over and over again). Now, if the staff stops him and says "Sir, you cant wear gym shorts", he can point to the nice showered guy i referenced earlier and say "Well he has gym shorts on"....So Carnival, in an effort to make people use common sense has to say "No Gym Shorts" in the MDR. It all goes back to basic common sense....Take a shower before dinner, put on deodorant, comb your hair. Put on decent clothes that is in conjunction with the evenings theme. Do we really have to break this down and look for loopholes here? I guess we do because you have a portion of the population that just dont get it. It has to be spelled out. Even when its spelled out, you get the portion of the population that want to "beat the system"....You are adults people, act like one instead of an 8 yr old

I like it! But someone once posted that only 5% of all cruisers are on CC. What percentage of that are active Carnival cruisers? And what percentage of that would these comments apply to?

The battle is lost in these forums and can only be won by diligent dining room staff doing their jobs correctly. :)

Beach, if you look up the definition for Business Casual, that is essentially the dress code for Elegant Evenings....

Appropriate business casual dress typically includes slacks or khakis, dress shirt or blouse, open-collar or polo shirt, optional tie or seasonal sport coat, a dress or skirt at knee-length or below, a tailored blazer, knit shirt or sweater, and loafers or dress shoes that cover all or most of the foot.

In any case, complaining on here about what someone is wearing at dinner time doesn't do any good. Nothing will change until those with a legitimate complaint speak directly to the Maitre D.

In any case, complaining on here about what someone is wearing at dinner time doesn't do any good. Nothing will change until those with a legitimate complaint speak directly to the Maitre D.

People on here have said the would/have complained to the MD....I have seen people turned away and were asked to change their attire. My question is why did it have to get to that. The same way i would question those who smoke on their balconies, or drop their towel on a lounger by the pool and disappear for 4 hrs or go into the theatre and save 12 seats because everyone in their party has to sit together and watch a show....why? :rolleyes:

We are adults, some people have to start acting like it

I'll never understand why anyone cares what someone else is wearing. If someone prefers a more elegant experience, they probably are not a good match for Carnival. And there's nothing wrong with that. To each his own. You have a choice on how and where you spend your cruise dollars. Carnival "Fun Ships" tend to appeal to a certain type of clientele.

I dress to the code, but don't really enjoy dressing to the nines. What other people wear usually goes unnoticed by me and so doesn't bother me. With that said, I agree with you. If there are rules, they should be enforced or done away with so that folks to whom the rule matters can count on that. There ARE rules that when broken affect me negatively, so I can relate.

Really....so let me ask this....Guy rolls into the MDR in his tanktop and lo and behold he is seated at your table. He has been duly blessed with plenty of armpit hair and he likes to reach across the table for that breadbasket. It happens to be right over your water glass....we all good Dog? No effect on your cruise, right? :loudcry:

Really....so let me ask this....Guy rolls into the MDR in his tanktop and lo and behold he is seated at your table. He has been duly blessed with plenty of armpit hair and he likes to reach across the table for that breadbasket. It happens to be right over your water glass....we all good Dog? No effect on your cruise, right? :loudcry:

Touche....LOL. I agree 100%.... I'm the one who will make a snide comment to my wife when someone like this walks by our table....Then I forget about it. But if this person was sitting at my table..... It wouldn't sit well with me and as non confrontational I am...I would definitely speak to Maitre'D