Excursions/things to do in Mahogany Bay or Belize??

lissajeff24

I am sailing on the Vista in early February to Cozumel, Belize & MB Roatan and am already looking at the (Carnival) excursions in these 2 ports. First of all, there aren't a lot of options, maybe they'll add more later? Second of all, of the ones listed, nothing is really jumping out at me.

For those that have been there, can you share what you did or does anyone have any recommendations? I am not opposed to just getting off the ship and doing stuff around the port if there are things to do.

Thank you!

P.S. - we were in Cozumel this past March and did Nochi Coccum, which we will probably do again :cool:

At Mahogany Bay, there is a beach right next to the ship that you can easily walk to or you can take a chair lift (for a fee). The "old folks" just hung out in lounge chairs while the 2-year-old played in the sand. Some of the group snorkeled and a few did the zip line. There's a bar/restaurant there too (with bathrooms!).

If you've never tried scuba diving and want to give it a try go for the beginners scuba diving excursion that Carnival offers through Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan. They are a reputable dive lodge with excellent divemasters! I am an experienced diver and did the dive with the dolphins excursions a few years back and it was phenomenal!

We were just in these 2 ports last week, you can see my Magic review on here. In Roatan we went with Rony's and just rode around the island and went to Daniel Johnson's. It was a GREAT day and we had an amazing time.

In Belize we went with King David Castillo (Altournative Belize Services) to the Howler Monkey Sanctuary and Altun Ha ruins. It was an awesome day and we had a blast.

I'll use both of them each time we go back to Belize/Roatan

Cozumel I'd go to Mr. Sancho's over Nachi Cocum but that's just me.

I second going to Little French Key in Roatan. Amazing place and food and drinks were included. You have to walk just outside the port and then they will pick you up and take you there.

In Belize we used Belize Exotic Adventures to book a trip to the Howler Monkey Sanctuary and Altun Ha Mayan Ruins. It was a great trip. Private tour and our guide was great. We got to see a lot of Belize and have lunch a local place. I would highly recommend them and definitely use them again

Victor Bodden in Roatan. You can book a private tour and pretty much do what you want. I usually combine snorkeling with lobster along with an island tour.

We've used Victor's business twice now and been extremely happy with our days in Roatan!

(We've had Ben Hernandez as our guide both times, the second one by request, but he usually drives a tour bus)

This is Tabyana Beach in West Bay.

20171101_133531-M.jpg

Little French Key in Roatan. It's a beautiful place with outstanding service. This is NOT a Carnival excursion so don't confuse it with Big French Key. For Belize, one of our best experiences was hopping on a short flight over to San Pedro for the day. This was a true adventure on a cruise port day! We had a blast!

Roatan- Go to Daniel Johnson's Sloth and Money Hangout if you enjoy animals. We paid $55 per person for playing with animals, snorkeling the reef, and a personal Island Tour. Daniel's aunt Eunice was our personal chauffeur and was amazing!!!!

Belize- Caye Caulker! We used coral breeze tours and went snorkeling and spent time on Caye Caulker. Their crew was great!

In Mahogany Bay, I really enjoyed snorkeling off the beach at Tabyana Beach. The beach was pretty and the reef was amazing. In a previous cruise, we did a sail and snorkel in Roatan, and saled around the French Keys, but I cannot remember the specific name of the excursion. In Belize, we booked River Wallace and Altun Ha. Altun Ha was an amazing site, and I just wish we were given more time to explore the Mayan temples. The river Wallace was nice, and we saw a lot of wildlife (dolphins, manatees, birds, bats, a tiny crocodile, and howler monkeys). In a previous cruise, we took a tender to a small island to snorkel, and it also was amazing. All four of these excursions were purchased through Carnival.

In Roatan we did Little French Key which is great. Also have rented the private cabana through Carnival which was great also. The free beach at Mahogany Bay looks awful, packed with chairs and people. The private cabanas are next to this but few people in the cabana area.

Cozumel bar hop. Book on their website, fun for both drinkers and non drinkers.

The Salsas and salsas excursion with Carnival is fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Roatan has monkeys

Og5eCt-o6nk

The sloths in Roatan are the best. Seriously of everywhere I've ever been they're my favorite!!!

Does anyone else hate when someone says "Stay on the ship" ? Drives me nuts! I think part of the whole experience of cruising is going to all these new places and exploring and seeing other countries. Get off the dang ship and live a little

Yes! The only time we would ever stay on the ship is if we went to somewhere like Freeport or Nassau. Even then, we try to not book cruises going to those 2 places but in case we were stuck with one of them. Aside from that...

Kinda like Belize, so many people say stay on the ship in Belize. We had a WONDERFUL time in Belize at the ruins and the monkey sanctuary. It was a fantastic place.

• 1 month later...
Little French Key in Roatan. It's a beautiful place with outstanding service. This is NOT a Carnival excursion so don't confuse it with Big French Key. For Belize, one of our best experiences was hopping on a short flight over to San Pedro for the day. This was a true adventure on a cruise port day! We had a blast!

How much was the flight to San Pedro?

What did u do once u got there?

I am sailing on the Vista in early February to Cozumel, Belize & MB Roatan and am already looking at the (Carnival) excursions in these 2 ports. First of all, there aren't a lot of options, maybe they'll add more later? Second of all, of the ones listed, nothing is really jumping out at me.

For those that have been there, can you share what you did or does anyone have any recommendations? I am not opposed to just getting off the ship and doing stuff around the port if there are things to do.

Thank you!

P.S. - we were in Cozumel this past March and did Nochi Coccum, which we will probably do again :cool:

On our last cruise, we were in Roatan and did the Zuperman zipline at South Shore (through Carnival) and it was SO MUCH FUN! :-)

In Roatan we hired a cab driver for the day. He took us to his favorite snorkeling beach and stayed there while we enjoyed the water, then he took us on a tour of the island.

In Belize we did an excursion through NCL but you could probably find something direct. It was rainforest tubing and it was so much fun, but I think in retrospect we should have done cave tubing.

In mahogany bay we grabbed a cab and headed to west bay beach. Drivers took us to his friends restaurant paid $10 for beach chair and WiFi all day. It was quiet and calm.

Belize we did caye caulker and snorkeling. Saw tons of fish. Even some eagle rays. Booked through trip advisor. Caye caulker is a neat little island

How much was the flight to San Pedro?

What did u do once u got there?

First cruise back in 2003, I went to San Pedro right from the Paradise, didn't have to tender. Snorkeled in Hol Chan Preserve at the original Shark Ray Alley. Lunched at a local restaurant, shopped in town and walked the dirt streets. Vowed to return for a longer stay.

When we went to San Pedro from Belize City domestic airport, we used Tropic Air and that 15 minute flight cost almost as much as our NY to Belize flight. I did ride in the co-pilots seat.

We stayed at the Banana Beach Resort for a week, went fishing, circumnavigated the isle, snorkeled again, ate lots of lobster, watched the chicken drop, and had a totally wonderful time.