Hotel shuttle to long beach cruise port

Jimzap

Bruin Steve

Having never been in LB before the Holiday Inn is a little bit out of better areas.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Harry

Stick to Bruin Steve’s recommended hotels. The Holiday Inn omg Atlantic is in an undesirable area, next door to a major hospital, and few places to see or eat with in walking distance. Plus, I’ve lived in Long Beach my entire life and would not walk in that neighborhood after dark.

Bruin Steve,

Thank you for that excellent list of recommended hotels.

I am browsing where to stay in LB in September to join a Princes Cruise back to Australia.

I had looked at the Holiday Inn Long Beach Downtown 1133 Atlantic Ave, but your comments suggest I look at some of your "A" List instead.

Having never been in LB before the Holiday Inn is a little bit out of better areas.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Harry

I would not stay at that Holiday Inn...it is definitely not in a desirable area--in between St. Mary's Hospital and Long Beach Poly High School...Either would disqualify it for me...but, more importantly, it is quite a number of blocks from all of the things you'd want to be near...

Several years ago (back in the 60s), the City of Long Beach decided to build a Convention Center...They put a whole lot of money into it...and into redeveloping the area around it...In 1967, they purchased the Queen Mary and had it towed here and permanently docked...They redeveloped several square blocks around this area and brought in major hotel chains with first class hotels...In 1998, they built and opened the Aquarium of the Pacific in this area...They redeveloped previously blighted waterfront into yacht marinas, shops and restaurants...They instituted a free shuttle bus service to do regular loops around this area...This is the specific area you really want to visit as a tourist.

Other than this "Convention Center" area, Long Beach is a BIG city, in and of itself...even though it is economically and physically part of Greater Los Angeles...But, Long Beach, on its own, is a city of about half a million residents. Like most cities, there are good parts and bad parts. For example, the area clear on the east side of town, by the water--Naples, Belmont Shore, etc. --is very nice...but not really close to the cruise docks and tourist attractions. OTOH, "North Long Beach", for example, is an extremely undesirable crime-ridden area. Often a bad neighborhood and a good neighborhood may be fairly close in distance.

I always think, "If I were a tourist, where would I want to stay?" For me, it is in a convenient location, in a safe, upscale area, with plenty of shops and restaurants...and some attractions to visit if I had the time. In Long Beach, that area is clearly the one I've described. The two Hyatts, the Renaissance, the Westin are smack in the middle of that area...The Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn are across the channel, but connected by the free Passport shuttle. The Hilton is not far off but still in a good area, though a little less convenient. But go just a few blocks out of this area and the neighborhoods start going downhill fast. The city specifically spent money to fix up just THIS area...and continues to spend money...on police, the shuttle and maintenance...

I don't know better how to describe it...

Thank you both for your prompt response.

I'm settling on the Westin I think.

I've got scribbled pricing notes in front of me, and Hotels.com seem to have the best rate for a Standard Room at A$174 pn.

I'm off to have a large scotch. My brain is fried with pricing alternatives and deals..!!

Cheers.

We booked the Queen Mary to stay in the nite before we leave on the splendor...thoughts?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

The Queen Mary is right next door to the embarkation site for Carnival Cruise Lines.

Shouldn't need a shuttle.

But--this is an old ship that has the very small cabins of its day. Very historical but not a 4 or 5 star hotel, despite what you might be paying.

The Queen Mary is right next door to the embarkation site for Carnival Cruise Lines.

Shouldn't need a shuttle.

But--this is an old ship that has the very small cabins of its day. Very historical but not a 4 or 5 star hotel, despite what you might be paying.

I’m going to dispute that- there are several category of rooms that aren’t much smaller than a standard hotel room in a Westin or Hilton. These are those that are billed at original first class cabins and there are quite a bit of them- not to mention they come with wonderful original wood paneling and updated bathrooms. Usually well priced unless it’s a holiday or event. Agree that the converted (non original) and inside cabins are tight. The suites are larger- on par with what would be a junior or executive suite at a 4 or 5 star hotel size wise. Inside connecting cabins can be added to regular cabins to expand them and sleep additional people (just as they would have when she was sailing).

They have done a lot of work on Queen Mary and the upgrades they did to the soft furnishings in the rooms not long ago bring her up to compete with a Westin, Hyatt, or Hilton. She had some rough years but the new developers that took her over have done quite a bit to fix things.

• 6 months later...

Hi! I need some tips on transportation and lodging. We are sailing on the Carnival Splendor on Sept. 15. We'll fly to the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana on Sept. 14th. Would it be best to use Uber to get to Long Beach and get a hotel there? Or stay in Santa Ana and Uber on the 15th straight to the ship? Estimated cost of the Uber?

We have considered staying at the Queen Mary on 9/14. If so, do they have a shuttle to take us to the boarding area the next day?

When we return, we will stay an extra night (9/22) and fly home on Sunday. I'm wondering if we should get a hotel near the Santa Ana airport for that part of the trip. Sorry this is so long. This is our first cruise from Long Beach. Thanks!

Hi! I need some tips on transportation and lodging. We are sailing on the Carnival Splendor on Sept. 15. We'll fly to the John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana on Sept. 14th. Would it be best to use Uber to get to Long Beach and get a hotel there? Or stay in Santa Ana and Uber on the 15th straight to the ship? Estimated cost of the Uber?

We have considered staying at the Queen Mary on 9/14. If so, do they have a shuttle to take us to the boarding area the next day?

When we return, we will stay an extra night (9/22) and fly home on Sunday. I'm wondering if we should get a hotel near the Santa Ana airport for that part of the trip. Sorry this is so long. This is our first cruise from Long Beach. Thanks!

Uber has a get an estimate portion on its app. You should check there.

The queen Mary shares the parking lot with Carnival..so,you can just walk over.

If you stay Saturday night in Long Beach there are lots of restaurants and bars to go to plus the Aquarium of the Pacific and some other sites. Not much around John Wayne International, SNA.

Our favorite restaurants downtown Long Beach on Pine Ave

, take free Passport Shuttle are King’s Fish, Cafe Sevilla, and George’s Greek. Winston’s on the QM gets great reviews...but I haven’t been there for probably 40 year. The restaurant at Hotel Maya gets great reviews too..my husband has been there but I haven’t